Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Press Freedom
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 
Press Freedom

As some of you may be aware, the government is currently consulting on the implementation of the Leveson Inquiry and section 40 of the Crime and Courts Act 2013.

Said section 40 is a draconian piece of law that, if commenced, would see newspapers who will not sign up to a government approved regulator forced to pay the costs of any libel cases brought against them regardless of whether they are found guilty or not. Such court cases have the potential to bankrupt publications, leaving the door wide open for the press to be bullied into submission by those with the money to bring such a case.

Frankly, it is ludicrous that this is even being consulted on, and it would mark the end of our centuries-old tradition of the free press that we are lucky enough to take for granted. It is among the most important pillars of a free, liberal democracy, and it matters to all alike, no matter what your political orientation and views.

I urge anyone who believes in the free press to submit a response to the consulation. The consultation is open until the 10th January - all you need to do is call on the government to repeal section 40 of the Crime and Courts Act 2013 and you reponse must be logged.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultation...ementation

Quote:
Respond online

or

Email to:
presspolicy@culture.gov.uk

Write to:
Press Policy, Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 4th floor, 100 Parliament St, London SW1A 2BQ

Consultations get bombarded by special interest groups so every voice counts. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #419978 29th Dec 2016 12:48pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Done. Can't let the Govt control the media, just look at the BBC for the bias that would be forced across all..... Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #419984 29th Dec 2016 1:40pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Cheers. Thumbs Up

From some other responses (on other forums) it seems some people don't know how lucky they are... Sad Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #419996 29th Dec 2016 2:45pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I quite agree government has no place in interfering with the press. However, from my dealings with them, they need to be held properly accountable for their behaviour.

Very quick to make out their intent is always altruistic when in fact their actions are directed by nothing more than money, just like any business. They also choose to ignore the correlation between freedom and responsibility because they exhibit very little of the latter whilst demanding the former at every turn.

The question is, will the regulator be independent of government or not? If yes then are those that refuse to sign saying, we want to carry on we've always done and we won't sign because that would mean having to be responsible?

Post #420009 29th Dec 2016 3:53pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

The issue is, by whom can they be held to account? The answer, whether we like it or not, is nobody, because if somebody is holding the press to account, who is holding that organisation to account? You end up with worse than you started with.

The Spectator wrote:
The only way to escape the penalty would be to sign up to a state-approved regulator. One is waiting: Impress, an appalling outfit funded by Max Mosley. He has been on a mission to suborn the press ever since details of an orgy he participated in found their way on to the front page of the News of the World. When that paper collapsed in the wake of the hacking scandal, Mosley scented blood and devoted significant chunks of his fortune to going after the press more generally — and financing those who support his vendetta. He recently gave £200,000 to the office of Tom Watson, now deputy leader of the Labour party.

There's nobody who can or should have the power to censor the media, because nobody is without an agenda and everybody has a different opinion of what is objective fact. The best way to protect the truth is to ensure every voice is heard and ensure the buck stops at the libel laws. Otherwise, it's a very slippery slope. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #420014 29th Dec 2016 4:20pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

^ I understand that and fully agree with all of that post BUT I haven't seen anything that defines what a "state approved regulator" is. If done properly, it could be a very good thing in my view. Granted, with suitable interference it could be otherwise but.........

I realise the dangers but I question that we would end up worse than we are now because quite simply put, there is no such thing as unbiased or un-tampered with news these days anyway. Being all ultimately owned by a person or company seeking to make money, their only concern is the bottom line. That or tainted with a political mindset aka the BBC.

The only difference would be that depending on the government in power, the bias would openly change from term to term rather than them trying to hide their allegiances as they do now. It is well rumoured that Murdoch already decides who he would like to see in power and puts his media might behind them.

I am very much hoping that the regulate will be independent regulatory body, perhaps staffed with judges experienced in civil matters to hear allegations etc. Nothing so far is screaming 'government interference' other than government saying they wish to make the press accountable i.e. it's too early to say if it will be good or bad.

Post #420072 29th Dec 2016 8:34pm
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The huge media organisations simply have too much power, they need to be broken up to introduce more competition, which in turn would introduce more objectivity. The world has allowed the moguls to exist and now has no way to control them, because control works the other war around, ie the media moguls control Governments. Look at how our lot spend all their time up that nasty incidious little creep Murdoch's ar*e.

And don't even start me on 'state approved regulator,' what's one of those then? Presumably a body the state likes, which means it has the power to replace it if it suddenly decides it doesn't like it. Very independant that! Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #420122 30th Dec 2016 10:09am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Complicated. The press have behaved very badly, but one doesn't want a cure that's worse. I'm glad I don't have to figure that one out.

Post #420819 2nd Jan 2017 9:09pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Freedom of the press and lack of censorship are vital rights of a free democracy , using media corporations greed and agendas as a way of beating them into submission to tow the line is a typically blunt and ill-targeted political maneuver .Good journalism does exist and needs to be encouraged and not sent hiding in fear of its very financial existence .My Grandfather had quite a lot to say on the subject and I know he would be appalled by this blatant move to curb the press . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #420875 3rd Jan 2017 3:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1