Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > PHEV - looking for info on charging
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kajagoogoo88

United Kingdom 
PHEV - looking for info on charging

Apologies if this has come up before - couldn't find anything on a search.

So, my PHEV should be coming in the next few weeks (maybe, who really knows). I've just been told by the dealer that Chargemaster will be Land Rover's preferred partner for domestic charge point installations.

Now, the Land Rover website states “Our PHEV range can fully charge from either a domestic socket.......” The Chargemaster website states “ .... using a 13A socket is not recommended by car manufacturers or government.....”

Would be nice if they sang from the same song sheet. Chargemaster asked me which of their products I want - frankly I have no idea. The RR salesman hasn't been on his PHEV course and doesn't know.

Does anyone have any useful info on this subject? Should I just be patient - but I want to get all the installation done before the thing gets here?

Help.
{ Current:
2012 RR 4,4V8 Westminster)
2007 Bentley Continental GT 6.0 W12
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
2018 Maserati Ghibli 3.0 V6 Gran Lusso
2017 Aston Martin Rapide S. Shadow Edition

Post #468474 13th Feb 2018 5:29pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Your dealer needs to get his act together.
He must know where to contact at JLR to answer all your questions.

I would also be asking ;
1) How many batteries does it have.?
Ie; main drive battery
2 separate batteries like L405?
One for starting?
One for lights, aux info etc ? , or is everything powered by the drive battery?, hence reduced range if you park up with the lights on ? etc.

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #468484 13th Feb 2018 7:07pm
le25dse

Norway 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Loire Blue

It is correct that it is nobody will recommend it unless there is installed some extra protection in your home electrical system, because a fully charged battery can under some conditions return current back in the grid. I can't explain the technical stuff around this, ask an electrician.

We have an BMW i3 as a second car. It is always charged from an ordinary home socket. The charger is capped at 10A and this is the important thing. You must be able to set a max load on the charger because if it tries to draw more amps from the socket, it can overload the wires and overheat.

Charging it over night gives us more than we need for the next day. All our daily driving is now done with this car. The Range Rover is only used for longer weekend trips with the whole family and luggage.

There is a linear correlation between amps and charging time. If you get an charging station installed at home (25-50A) you will reduce the charging time. Depending on your usage pattern, charging it from an ordinary socket over night may give you enough to shorter daily drives. If you see the need for frequent recharging during the day you may invest in a home charging station.

There are more and more gas stations investing in charging equipment with even higher capacity (at least here), so it may go even faster to drive to a high capacity charging station and charge there, rather than do it at home.

You will be very happy with you new car!!! Driving electric is very practical and almost free compared to fuel. ----------
2014 tdv6 (ex. 2004 td6, 1997 2.5 dse)

Post #468509 13th Feb 2018 9:19pm
Paul J.

England 

A fully charged battery will NOT return current back to the home system! In the case of a charger that connects to a 13A socket outlet, it will NOT draw more current from the mains; the specifications of the charger are the limiting factor on current draw. Rolling Eyes

The reason why the 13A socket approach is not preferred is that it limits the charging to <3kW, which depending on the capacity of the battery in the vehicle that you are charging, may take too long to charge. Chargemaster units come in 3.7kW and 7.4kW flavours, either of which can be connected to domestic mains installations. Go for the latter to minimise charge times.

To illustrate the point, the following is taken from the I-pace forum:

NOTE: Jaguar has not released details about the on-board charger of the I-Pace. The information below is based on estimation of the most likely on-board charger.
Type 2 (Mennekes - IEC 62196)
Charging Point Car Uses Power Time Rate
Wall Plug (2.3 kW) 230V / 1x10A 2.3 kW 45 hours 5 mph
1-phase 16A (3.7 kW) 230V / 1x16A 3.7 kW 28 hours 9 mph
1-phase 32A (7.4 kW) 230V / 1x32A 7.4 kW 14 hours 18 mph

The I-pace has a much larger battery than the PHEV, so will naturally take longer to charge; clearly a 45 hour charge time (for the I-pace) is not practical, whereas a 14 hour overnight charge is for most.

Additionally, the fast charger network (e.g. at motorway service stations) can charge EV's much faster than the above times, but the cost/time benefits don't really work for PHEVs.

Post #468551 14th Feb 2018 8:19am
le25dse

Norway 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Loire Blue

I see that the previous poster is a bit sceptical to what i wrote. You can read more on the subject for example on this link: http://www.connectingindustry.com/electric...ents-.aspx

Or you can Google "residual current device car charging" and find a lot of technical information on why there is a difference between charging an electrical car and charging a battery, even though in theory it should be the same. ----------
2014 tdv6 (ex. 2004 td6, 1997 2.5 dse)

Post #468611 14th Feb 2018 4:29pm
Paul J.

England 

^The referenced article is discussing an entirely different situation, where a fault condition (actually it covers a variety of fault conditions) has occurred. You are no more or less likely to suffer such fault conditions whether you have a 13A plug in charger or a fixed installation charge point. So, going back to the OPs original question, a fixed charge point is better because it will provide a higher output to make charging times lower. They are also neater and more convenient to use.

Post #468637 14th Feb 2018 8:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1