Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > How reliable are current model RRs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

MJGH wrote:
I've been promised a call back from a "Solution Executive" (!) from LRCS by this time tomorrow, so we shall see.. Surprised ..

Did you get your call back from the "Solution Executive" and if so is there any news?
Apart from they have now managed to totally pee you off regarding the loan car.

He rang me about 30 seconds before his 48 hours were up and left me a message to say that he’d liaised with the garage and would “stay with me until all of the problems were solved to my satisfaction”. I tried to phone him back several times, throughout the afternoon, but he was always on answerphone.

The I got the message from the AA that I’d need to drive 60 miles (1 hr 40m) to drop the loaner off, travel a further 50 miles by taxi to the dealership that the new loaner is waiting at (and, no, they wouldn’t deliver it!), then drive nearly 80 miles back to my office - all during the working day. When I quizzed them about what it was, I got pretty unhappy. I explained that I drove a spacious, 4x4 (with a tow bar) for a reason and no, a low slung 4 door, 4 pot, saloon wasn’t adequate - especially as a replacement for a £100,000+ vehicle, after they’d had 3 week’s notice to find something appropriate Evil or Very Mad

So far the “Solution Expert” has two answerphone messages and one email to return my call. I expect I’ll get a call while I’m in a taxi tomorrow. It’ll be the third taxi ride I’ve had during this saga.

This is such a shame as I’ve been so positive about them for most of the last 7 years Sad

On a +ve note, I still love the Fatty and I’d rather push my Fatty than drive most of the alternatives Thumbs Up

Post #488854 13th Sep 2018 8:35pm
Red Merle

Despite two voicemail messages and one email message being left for him on Thursday, my “Solution Executive” has yet to reply to any of them Evil or Very Mad

On the plus side, the XF turned out to be a 4x4, with 240 bhp and it’s a “Sportsbrake” (a bit like an estate car, but much smaller). It’s got a great driving position, good (if firm) seats, superb handling and grip, zero body roll and is very fast on A and B roads. Unfortunately, it appears to be powered by a tractor engine. Disappointing, the fuel economy is about what a friend is getting from their, old model, 3.0 V6, 280-ish bhp, old model XF-S Sportsbrake - and that’s got a proper engine and a much nicer interior Thumbs Up

A 2018/19 MY Fatty came past me on the M5 and it’s such a beautiful thing viewed from either this or my last two D5 loaners (christened “The Ugly Duckling” and “Damian The D5”!).

I miss my FF terribly! Big Cry

Post #488933 15th Sep 2018 7:22am
stillrunning

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Hi mate,
I had the same issue when I was speaking to them,
they rang and asked you to ring back.
You rang back
Got answer message
Put phone down.
Every time and that was about 10 times.
This only adds to the frustration.
Feel you pain hope it gets sorted soon
But don't hold your breath Banging Head Banging Head

Post #488934 15th Sep 2018 7:33am
Red Merle

Im really grateful for your reply and helping me feel that I’ve not gone completely mad! Thumbs Up

I’ve taken legal advice (Consumer Credit Act 2015, Section 23 etc.) and they have asked me to come back so that they can appoint a solicitor if I don’t get a satisfactory reply from JLR. I’ve made a formal complaint to LR Finance (Black Horse) and have asked for a replacement, but they’ve warned me that there will be a 3 week period of investigation before anything could happen.

I’m not sure whether to:

A) keep talking to my SE’s voicemail.
B) Leave it to Black Horse to deal with, or
C) Appoint a solicitor.

You’ve managed to achieve miracles here before Bow down Please would you suggest the best course of action?

Post #488935 15th Sep 2018 7:44am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Get in your loaner, go to your dealer, bang your fist on the receptionist's desk and demand, yes, demand to see the top man on the premises.

If you don't get any satisfaction go on twitter and facebook and let everyone klnow what's going on....worked for me with our Peugeot van, had a phonecall within hours of it going on Peugeot facebook page.

You can't go on like you are; and being calm and collected works to a point, after that it's the stick!!

Post #488942 15th Sep 2018 8:28am
Red Merle

Thank you. I hadn’t thought of the Facebook angle, but I’ll leave that in reserve.

Fortunately I’ve got a really good relationship with the dealer, but maybe it’s time to book a meeting with senior management.

Post #488945 15th Sep 2018 9:33am
Red Merle

Okay, the first good news! Very Happy

I’ve just spoken to Snr Management at the dealer (the dealer has been solid gold and is worth a mention - County in Barnstaple) and they have it all in hand. They’ve dealt with LR Finance and CS and we’ve booked a meeting to try and sort it out on Thursday afternoon Thumbs Up

I’ll stay optimistic until then.

Post #488946 15th Sep 2018 10:03am
nubbin

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

No compromise! Although your rights have waned slightly because of how long you have had the car, you still have the 6 year clause of the car being "fit for purpose."

This website might help - https://www.resolver.co.uk/complaints/motoring-complaints

Post #488947 15th Sep 2018 10:19am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Red Merle - first you have my sympathy, all annoying and disappointing. There seem two distinct problems:

1. That there has not yet been a diagnosis of what is wrong with your car after several weeks - is that because the workshop at the dealer is too busy or do they await input from LR or what? Perhaps the Thursday meeting will clarify that. Clearly you have the benefit of the guarantee and they need to get it fixed. I'd be wary of litigation. Lawyers are the only sure winners there.

2. Inadequate hire car while you wait. My experience of JLR in this area has been very poor also, they seem to leave it to the local hire company and wash their hands of it if that hire company cannot or will not deliver. My understanding of the scheme is that you are meant to get something either the same grade (i.e. 405) or the next down (RR Sport or D5). I don't think you are entitled to a vehicle with a towbar. While some parts of the UK may have a market for the hire of vehicles at that level, the West Country and Scotland seem not to be in that position, and so the hire companies try to fob people off with whatever they have to hand. It is one thing to have to wait ages for your car to be fixed if you have something adequate to use in the meantime, quite another otherwise. I'd be pressing quite hard on that, escalating within JLR/the dealer as necessary.

Maybe the dealer is the best route forward. Ideally they will realise that you are a valuable source of future business and fix you up with something. I'm aware of dealers lending customers their demo cars, they are not obliged to do so, but maybe you can persuade them.

Going back to the OP's more general question, a friend of mine has had four years with a 4.4SDV8 with no problems other than some issue about speed cameras showing up on the satnav. So there are good news stories. My own 405 (MY2017) has needed a software update due to showing false service warnings, and occasionally the touchscreen does not work. I'm still monitoring that, it's quite rare and short term. I was advised to power up the system (press starter button with foot off brake) before trying to start, then pressing starter with foot on brake when prompted to do so on the dash. The only other issue so far (about 5,500 miles) is that the gear dial sometimes squeaks when emerging. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #488951 15th Sep 2018 11:22am
mattlidster

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

stu1 wrote:
mattlidster wrote:
So far I have only experienced brake servo failure at 1500 miles

That must have been a bit scary!

It was! To make matters worse it was when we had the really bad snow down here.
2 Tonnes of torquey 4wheel drive does not stop with out servo assistance!!

Post #488962 15th Sep 2018 2:42pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Red Merle you are in good hands with County Garage, good bunch and I know the DP there too who is a straightforward chap.
Good luck with your war with LR, it's such a shame when it comes to situations like this as it really puts you off the brand.
Start shouting at LR is my opinion, they don't respond to Mr Nice Guy these days.

Post #488968 15th Sep 2018 4:53pm
Red Merle

Thanks for the replies chaps Thumbs Up I’ll be back with a full reply when I’m on a proper computer on Sunday Very Happy

Last edited by Red Merle on 16th Sep 2018 7:56am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #488977 15th Sep 2018 6:08pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Good luck RM.

I've been following your thread.

I'm sure the dealer will come through, there are very few good ones around but the good ones seem to be the difference between you buying another car from the brand or going elsewhere. As my dealer said, it would make your toes curl if you saw what they have to fix from the factory under PDI.

As you did, I also wanted to go from a D4 to an L405, I followed your previous thread on the D3/4 forum.

Given the current attitude of LR CS to customers across the board, for the first time in 25 years I'm considering another brand.

Yes, the L405 is the best looking premium 4x4 on the road, but given that LR don't have a good choice of petrol engines, a 3.0 diesel that likes to lunch its crankshaft and hybrid technology that doesn't work and then when it all goes wrong customer service that isn't fit for purpose. I don't understand why LR can't join the dots and come to the conclusion that there is a reason behind their falling car sales.

Post #489002 16th Sep 2018 7:48am
stillrunning

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Hi mate,
On both cars I have rejected I contacted the finance company to advise them I was having problems with the cars.
The said to liaise with the dealer in the first instance and if there wasn't a satsifactory outcome they would take up the case.
I never had to go any further as the dealers sorted out the rejections.
Hope Thursday is constructive and you get want you want
Steve

Post #489025 16th Sep 2018 2:39pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

The OP title is 'How reliable are current model RR?'

3 posts on this thread to date are from people who have/ had the TDv6 and report no engine reliability issues. There are few posts on this ffrr forum of the TDv6 engine expiring and the odd post that does report a failure also seems to have resulted in LR/ warranty covering the cost. We have it in writing from LR that if our engine expires due to 'crankshaft issues' it will be fixed by LR at no cost to us. That's reasonable customer service.

A number of posts on this forum report people having issues with the 4.4 Diesel engine L405. It doesn't mean people should be put off buying them as long as the warranty covers it (IMO). They are expensive cars to buy and maintain so for some, a warranty is prudent.

Therefore, this aspect of a pevious post on this thread doesn't seem quite right:
'.. the L405 is the best looking premium 4x4 on the road, but... a 3.0 diesel that likes to lunch its crankshaft...'

Thumbs Up

Post #489026 16th Sep 2018 2:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>