Home > Technical (L322) > tdv8 metallic whine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Halk

Greece 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Thank you for your quick reply.
I totally agree with you about 100k vehicles, but here is what is haunting me:
The car was sold from a private seller, and when testing it I did not notice this. Furthermore, I am 90% positive that this vibration was not present at that time. After the transaction the car went to dealer (200 miles away!) for total service (all oils ands filters, as well as Front diff seal replacement, which involved FLH halfshaft removal, and finally thermostat replacement due to leakage.
Now, I will contact the previous owner to find out if vibration was present before, and assuming that I will get an honest answer, I will adjust my strategy. I mean, if this behavior is new (after dealer) then I will reverse engineer his steps to find the solution. If not... I don't know... I am a BMW E70 X5 owner and was ready to trade it for a TDV8 RRS, but know I am definitely having second thought.
I will definitely update on the subject.

Best regards

Post #244434 23rd Feb 2014 3:30pm
Olders

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Sounds like a good strategy to me!

I have had my car since 50k miles and only noticed this vibration issue at about 60k. Like you, I am 90+% sure it wasn't there to begin with (although am prepared to allow a little bit of room for not noticing it purely because of the 'new car elation' effect!).

I have had all the transmission fluids changed (both diffs, transfer box and mega flush on the gearbox) at about 65k, all old oils in pretty good condition so the combination of that and the fact that it has not got any worse for 40k odd miles, suggests problem is probably not diff / transmission related in my case.

Perhaps in yours, the timing of the dealer (main or independent?) works and the appearance of this problem are just a coincidence.....? Hmmmmm....... Do coincidences like that really exist?!?

Good luck with your investigations. I look forward to hearing how you get on. Do come back to me if you have any more questions.

P.s. Re. The TDV8 RRS, know somebody who had one - loved the engine but hated the fact that for such a big car, it was so small inside. They wish they had gone for the 'full fat' version. Just their opinion..... -----------------------------------------------
2016MY FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Loire Blue
2007MY FFRR 3.6 TDV8 Vogue SE Tonga Green

Post #244441 23rd Feb 2014 4:29pm
ncow84

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but just thought I'd chip in to say mine has this exact same noise/vibration between 2-2.5k rpm. Engine seems to be running very sweetly, gearbox working without fault, just a slightly annoying feature when accelerating gently through this rev range, in any gear. Has anyone successfully dealt with this issue? Any new software updates for TCM / PCM that reduce the effect? It's encouraging to hear that Olders has made it 50k miles without it having any real ill effects, but would be nice to solve the issue and share with everyone.

Post #334756 27th Jun 2015 7:22pm
Olders

From my perspective, no. Haven't solved it. Just learnt to live with it! My car has now done over 120k, half of which this noise has been there for. It hasn't got any worse, hasn't got any better. Still running just as it has done for the last 60k. No change or degradation in performance or comfort.

Have rather put it down to "just one of those things" and to be honest barely notice it now. Have continued to think about what it could be and have come up with the following three possibles:

1. I have had an intermittent fault showing up with one EGR for the majority (if not entirety) of the last 60k miles. This manifests itself as an occasional 'stutter' / non-smooth idle or jerkiness in throttle response at low revs in first gear. There is also a larger than normal delay or lag between adding throttle and noticing a response in forward drive when pulling off from low speed / revs, say when entering a roundabout.

I could (and should) get this fixed but have just learnt to live with it / drive around it and it really doesn't bother me now. Can't see exactly how this fault would lead to the noise / vibration symptom, but it is a known fault, so perhaps connected. Hence the mention.

2. Have been numerous injector fault codes cropping up from time to time over the years. Perhaps this is related to the faulty EGR but perhaps a genuine fault here could be the cause of the noise / vibration issues I originally highlighted in this post.

3. My other thought is that this noise is quite possibly just a failure of the HNR (Harshness Noise & Vibration) reduction measures LR have gone to on the vehicle: worn engine mounts perhaps? Maybe a partial failure of some sound deadening?

I certainly haven't discovered the answer but feel sure that in my case it is one of the above. All I can say with certainty, in my case at least, is that it has not led to any mechanical failure yet and after 60k +, I would have thought it would have done so if it was going to....

No solutions I am afraid but perhaps some comfort to be drawn from my experience, and indeed some possible starting points for further investigation if you have to trace out the problem for your own sanity / peace of mind!

As always, do please post here anything further you can add if you do look into it further.

Cheers. -----------------------------------------------

Post #334782 28th Jun 2015 12:27am
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I have a 2009 vogue tdv8 with exactly the same issue. Done 100k and has been noticeable for the last 10k. Can't seem to pin point it though like you. Crying or Very sad it's more annoying than anything else as the car drives superb in every other way. Changed the trans oil and filter but made little difference.

Post #345199 30th Aug 2015 10:51pm
Sql

Poland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Wow, great thread! I was going nuts over that lately. Only had my car for a month and kept thinking something was wrong with my transmission. Same issue - a small bit of noise and vibration at around 1900-2300 rpm, before gear change, totally rpm related, I can feel vibration through the gas pedal/floor. Maybe this is normal after all?

Post #345591 2nd Sep 2015 5:03am
Sql

So - do all of these make that noise/vibration effect? 07 3.6 TDV8 Vogue
Buckingham Blue / Sand / Piano

Post #353983 24th Oct 2015 6:45pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Mine doesn't seem to. It's got 106k miles on it 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #353992 24th Oct 2015 9:48pm
Olders

Mine has now done nearly 130k and is still exactly as it was at 60k. No better no worse.

I know I have one faulty EGR valve (and a couple of intermittently suspect injectors) but to be honest, it basically still works as smoothly as ever.

To be honest I'm pretty damn impressed that the car is still basically as strong now at 130k and nearly 10 years old as it was at 50k. Long live RR's !

My advice?.... Turn the Harmon Kardon up and ignore it! It will soon become commonplace and therefore not really noticeable!

Enjoy! -----------------------------------------------

Post #354009 25th Oct 2015 2:11am
PaulB

2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I thought i would add that mine does this as well..............

Characteristic ????

Post #357725 19th Nov 2015 3:48pm
jumbaleo

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Mine too.

No gearbox issues, had both EGR's replaced and a faulty injector. I had thought it was one or two misshapen tyres, but after all four were changed, the issue remained. I did also have a sticking rear break calliper which seemed to make the vibration a lot worse, after a calliper re-buildt the vibration was still there albeit not as much.

At slow speeds and on roundabouts i have noticed a bobbling type wobble that does not come through the steering wheel so not steering related, noticing a metallic rubbing sound that seems to come from the rear and noisier on turning corners and roundabouts, so i had wondered if it was a progressively worsening wheel bearing?

Post #357921 21st Nov 2015 10:47am
PaulB

2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Anybody want to add anymore to this thread?

Cool

Post #362235 14th Dec 2015 6:11pm
Sql

I have read on another board that it may be a Torque Converter slowly failing but that would be strange as my car had a TC replaced not long before I bought it (well, at least according to the seller).

Wonder if that may be the case.

What I also discovered is how sometimes when rolling slowly in 3rd gear I can hear some strange noise before gear change like whup whup whup then gear changes and all is fine. Does not happen in any other gear and does not happen with load applied. 07 3.6 TDV8 Vogue
Buckingham Blue / Sand / Piano

Post #362785 18th Dec 2015 4:33pm
S.Hafsmo

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

Thread revival, I know, but I've seemingly got the same issue, with a sort of resonance between 1900 and 2400 rpm. Easier to notice when everything is up to operating temp.
In addition I've got slightly fluctuating throttle when trannys in controlled slip (gentle throttle at low speed (30mph-ish). Jumps 100-200 rpm, hard to tell by engine noise, but visible on the needle.
Car's a 2007 3.6 tdv8.

Still no solutions?

Post #491991 12th Oct 2018 4:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123