Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > New Year in my caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
New Year in my caravan

Year on year I find it difficult to find a good venue to see the new year in at. I always went to the wife's Uncles place for a really good party which has not happened now for a number of years due to them moving house and then the very lovely Aunt passing away. We've struggled to hold a party ourselves for a couple of years but it ended up just being hard work with the kids (at the time) inviting way too many mates and the whole thing spiraling into a free for all. I tend to see most "events" locally as ticket only with inflated prices to match the one opportunity to make a few quid.
This year I was down in Devon at the end of October, somewhere I go at least once a year (usually February) and found the old pub I used to frequent (with a camp site in the garden) is doing a new year party and dinner. With the business on close down for three weeks over Christmas it's the ideal chance to try taking the van away and trying their newly revamped site. It means I also don't have to worry about the ride there and back because I can fall out of the pub and into the van at any level of drunkenness without getting robbed, knocked down or lost. I've never done it before and usually spend the Christmas period at home but family is out doing their own thing this year. Time for the wife and I to do our own thing too. Does anyone else do the new year thing in their van?

Post #496745 27th Nov 2018 7:35am
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Only missed one New Year Since 1990 and that was because the site was snowed in. Always been rallies run by centres with everything on site so no need to drive. This year we will be on a rally at La Manga on the Med.

Ian

Post #496765 27th Nov 2018 12:22pm
Huwrhys

I wouldn't normally go away at all but the new year at home is just a bit boring tbh. Kids all have their own thing going on and family don't really do anything but stay in and watch tv, which is so not me. Happy to sit in my van and do it though, which makes no real sense but hey. I must say I'm really looking forward to it.
Thumbs Up

Post #496769 27th Nov 2018 12:32pm
Jon G

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

We've done New Year in the Van for several years now.
Usually a small group of us go 4 to 5 Vans, and party in someones Awning.
Some Sites also hold New Years Parties on Site which are fun.
As said drinking isn't an issue as long as you can stagger back to the Van your sorted Laughing Laughing

Post #496799 27th Nov 2018 4:10pm
nearlee

Wales 

We haven't done a new year in van yet, however are considering it this year, depends on finances as I've just bought madam a new car Big Cry . Remember:- amateurs built the ark
Proffesionals built the titanic

Post #496805 27th Nov 2018 4:58pm
Huwrhys

It's the stagger value which made me book it. Also there's a pub in Newton Abbott called the Teign Cellars which has an extraordinary amount of really good beer. Well worth a look if you're local.
Thumbs Up

Post #496806 27th Nov 2018 5:00pm
Huwrhys

I should say it's the Dartmoor Halfway Inn which I've used for the last twenty five plus years until it went bust a few years ago. Originally owned by Barry who built it up from nothing and put the campsite in place. He had a good eye for some business and really got the place jumping during the eighties and nineties. It was taken over by corporate and they just killed it. Eventually it just went under because the love and drive had disappeared. Now it's been bought by a small company who have about six pubs in the West country and they've done a really good job. Nothing silly but good food at decent prices and the site is immaculate. Well worth a look if you're a tintenter. They have about four pitches with water and waste too which makes life just a bit easier. They close on 6/1/19 and reopen some time in March.

https://dartmoorhalfwayinn.co.uk/

Post #496808 27th Nov 2018 5:14pm
SinbadRose

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

We did Bunree for a few New Years, almost always had snow, the kids loved it when they were young (i still do, but they are to old now). We tend to use it as a quiet getaway, The site always offered to have a little get together on the eve.

We are happy to walk during the day, and relax with drink and food at night. On a clear moonlite night, snow on the hills over the loch, it was fantastic.

Should try and get the fullfats on one site some time, Halloween so we can swap horror stories Very Happy

Post #496881 28th Nov 2018 12:40pm
Huwrhys

We’d need at least a week!

Post #496884 28th Nov 2018 1:21pm
Cupra

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

we are away with our local DA for new year, 50 pound for 5 nights thats with 5 nights hall hire and big party on new years eve

Post #496885 28th Nov 2018 1:23pm
Huwrhys

I found some old pictures of us caravanning at the same site some years ago.

My old Carlight 152/EK. Brilliant van and 28 years old when I sold her in perfect condition.
Even the original movers worked properly.
Edit: I sold it to a guy who worked for LR in their Vehicle IT dept. I should have held him to account! Lol!

Post #497113 30th Nov 2018 9:16am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Stagger Value, that's a great saying. I was talking with an old family friend about New Year, and it just seemed to be way better years ago. We all used to go first footing, the whole street was partying, now everyone is so insular, a sad reflection of modern times. I think we are a much lonelier place now.

Never even considered going away in the tin tent at this time or year, it's all drained down hibernating for the spring!

Look forward to the beer photos , if you're not too pished Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Post #497122 30th Nov 2018 10:32am
Huwrhys

Ill do my best to remember the beer spattered photoes. 👍🏻

Post #497123 30th Nov 2018 10:59am
Huwrhys

I forgot to come back to this thread. I must have been too drunk (I wish!)
The NYE do was a bit of a flop tbh and we were back in the van by 11:00pm and in my jarmies with a very large one in my hand (Drink). I must admit the idea of having a few and falling back into the van was appealing but the reality was that I had arranged for the wife and I to go to Salcombe Gin distillery and try out their Gin school. So on NYE we drank Gin to get a taste for what we were going to make. After 6 or so large Gins I was straight as you like and it hadn't touched me. The Disco (AAAAAAGH!) had started but was so quiet we couldn't hear the music from the adjacent room. The food however was pretty good for pub grub and 5 courses in I didn't feel much like dancing at all. The site was pretty good apart from no data or phone signal, so no way to speak to the kids unless we went out for a drive. I don't remember the site having a problem before so assume it's the top of the site which suffers whereas the pitches next to the river Lemon were possibly ok. I'd do it again but not stay at the pub apart from maybe NYE itself, allowing stagger value but getting better value financially at the site I now frequent when in Devon. I still love the area and will continue to visit at least once a year if not two or three.
I'm going on Thursday this week to spend about 10 days there and have my Land Rover experience on Monday near Honiton which I've not done before. Having looked at the video's on YouTube it looks a little tame tbh. I've done some pretty interesting stuff in my Land Cruiser Amazon at High Wycombe at the Off road and 4 wheel drive mag do, which was pretty hairy in places. I did the Tennyson trail on the Isle of Wight just before it was closed to traffic in my Disco 3. I did a bit of exploring off road in France in my Disco 4 last year and in the FF this year, did some tame/medium stuff in San Sebastian in Spain.
I admit that everything that I've heard about the day is meant to be very good so here's hoping.
Thumbs Up

Post #504915 12th Feb 2019 4:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1