Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Windows fogging up from the inside
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

Mine does the same all the time at this time of year. My old L322 never did , but I think the side windows were thicker (looked like 2 sheets of glass together when viewing drivers side glass from above) and if I recall, it also had dedicated air ducts in the A columns to direct air onto the windows which my L405 does not. I've given up on the auto setting, ok for summer but useless in winter as doesn't seem to reach the set temperature very quickly at all, so I now just set the fan to a higher speed manually and put the temp around 23 which seems to clear it relatively quickly. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #499084 18th Dec 2018 10:18pm
RRVSE

I'll retract the statement about the L405 not having the dedicated vents in the A column, there are some but the air they put out is negligible for the job they are required to do, I even put the air con fan on full but didn't alter the air flow through them, so are they just used by the recirculating option ? Steve

Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #499320 21st Dec 2018 12:07pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

mjdronfield wrote:
Think that’s normal to some extent, if it’s damp. You get inside with wet clothes etc and it all goes to make the car steam up.

Mines the same. Generally have to use the heated screen to help first thing in the morning.

Thumbs Up

Sorry to go slightly off topic but why do you get into your car in the morning with wet clothes?? personally I find it best to dress AFTER my shower Rolling with laughter

Post #499325 21st Dec 2018 12:48pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Have your AC level checked... If you hit AUTO on the climate then that should kick the AC system on, within the AC is a dehumidifier which is why your windows should clear of fog pretty quickly...

But do check they are clean and the pollen filter is clean too Thumbs Up

Oh & be prepared for an eye watering £££ cost for re-gassing the AC! The gas used in 405's is VERY expensive Sniggering Banging Head Thud

Post #499326 21st Dec 2018 12:51pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Rolling with laughter I was more meaning when it’s raining and you’ve been out in it. I gave a lift to my Nana a few weeks ago, she’s 93. It was raining and it took her ages to get in the car with all those ailing joints... door card was wet etc and car took ages to de steam... 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #499343 21st Dec 2018 3:46pm
RRVSE

Mine had started getting more annoying as there every day (weather doesn't help of course) so I bought 2 x de-humidifier bags (presumably silicone crystals) in December - one for the front , one for the back which you microwave to re-use after they have absorbed their limit of moisture - and they worked pretty well initially, but in the now colder weather they weren't clearing it to easily. However, I have now discovered the probable cause of my issues - wet carpets. I was cleaning my rubber mats in this very cold weather and noticed some ice particles between them and my over-carpets. On checking the over carpets they were very damp, but on checking the actual carpets underneath, the front passenger and drivers were wet to the touch. I can't really blame this on wet feet because as I say, I had rubber mats in there which catch all the wet off my boots so now trying to work out why they are so wet? I've checked things like the water dispersal ducts in front of the windscreen and don't seem blocked (although I will be putting water down them to ensure it flows out). My heater appears to work Ok so not a failed heater matrix (but would expect the related smell from this anyway). Anyone had this issue? Steve

Post #504013 5th Feb 2019 1:04pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Probably condensation if the rubber mats are always in.

Post #504019 5th Feb 2019 2:14pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

My car has gone to the dealer today to have a myriad of things sorted out, one of those being rear passenger windows that take an age to demist.

As someone has said earlier the vents in the A pillars do absolutely nothing. I've also noted that if you press "Max" then the rear climate is not activated, everything seems to go to the front screen. That's not very good either as I have two "blocks of condensation" on the windscreen which don't clear, both at eye-level on either side. See picture(why the Censored wont pics load the right way up???? Censored ). Also note the battery warning light which comes on everytime I start the car and the car is only 10 months old since new. I'll report back when I get the car back and hopefully everything should have been sorted out.
 All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #504024 5th Feb 2019 2:35pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

That's amazing, I'd literally just posted the above and Dick Lovett at Melksham rang to give me an update on my car.

Anyway, the fault with the demisting they think is a dodgy humidity sensor so they are replacing that and letting me know tomorrow when it arrives. The other things like battery and infotainment problems are being looked at so let's hope for the best.

Am impressed that at least they have kept in touch since I took it in at 10am this morning!! All LR cars from 1984

Post #504025 5th Feb 2019 2:47pm
RRVSE

Thanks for that Chalky. I checked my pollen filter and looked a bit dirty, so decided to get a new one so went to a LR independent who sells the filters for £12.99 + vat which was a good price, however, on telling him about my wet carpet issue, he said the most likely cause would be a poorly sealed windscreen (he has had a few in) and would only need a very small gap to gradually let water in over the 5yrs the car has been built. He also mentioned possible blocked drainage ducts for roof etc so will check these aswell. Interesting you also get the low battery warning Chalky, I'm wondering if it is due to the constantly damp carpets sitting maybe on to of wiring looms if that's feasible? Most of my problems appeared to start though after I took early retirement from work so do a third of the mileage and no daily long runs anymore which would prevent the likes of low battery warnings and excess diesel in my oil I believe Sad Steve

Post #504055 5th Feb 2019 4:42pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Just got back from collecting my car.

Had the 18D update, new soft close door module in driver's door, new battery as fault with the old one from new, new demist sensor.

Everything now works so fingers crossed!! Thumbs Up Won't really know about the demist and remote heater (from the App) until we get some more cold weather.

Must say, Dick Lovett in Melksham were very efficient, friendly and cleaned the car so well in and out,it looks as good as the day I drove it out of the showroom 10 months ago Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984

Post #504343 7th Feb 2019 5:14pm
Henda

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Turn off the climate control use normal heating Thumbs Up

Post #504370 7th Feb 2019 6:56pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

My personal viewpoint is that the fan speed in recent years - from the L405 to the L494 is too discreet and doesn’t provide a wallop of air con from any of the vents. I’ve had several RRS2s and also FFRRs which do not provide volume gusts of air in contrast to my last 59 plate 110 Defender which I used to dry my hair from the front vents at full speed. Hardly discreet though...
They do provide enough chilled air imo for hot countries after 10/15 mins to cool the cabin down to a good level, but not enough to defog a damp cabin with damp Spaniels and damp clothing in a similar timescale. I tend to use front front and rear heated screens, full air con, with window slightly ajar .

Post #504379 7th Feb 2019 8:14pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

After getting my car back yesterday, this morning I have received a "Health Check" video from Dick Lovett, with the technician going under the car and explaining the tyre wear & brake wear and also checking the suspension.

A lot is said on here about lack of attention to detail but I think this is very reassuring when a dealer goes into that amount of analysis of the car, so well done Dick Lovett, Melksham!! Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984

Post #504424 8th Feb 2019 10:27am
RRVSE

Small update on my wet carpet issues. Checking a LR workshop manual, it had a section that covers water ingress and refers to how to check door seals are sealing correctly - put chalk dust on seals and smear small amount of petroleum jelly where they are supposed to hit door frame, close slowly , re-open and looks for patches where chalk has not transferred to the jelly which means it's not sealing (then wipe chalk and jelly of afterwards of course). I didn't need to do this however as I found that 2 of my door seals were misaligned and 1 was trapped behind the door card for a length of around 15cm. I believe this will go back a few years where I had to have the roof lining changed after air bags went off so the repairers would just pull the seals down then push them back up, paying no attention to the exact position. The door card with the trapped seal had also been changed as air bag charge in passenger seat scorched it slightly. Workshop manual says they have to be fitted in a specific way (starting at upper corners if I remember correctly) and I think it also suggests that once taken off, you replace them anyway. Anyway, re-aligned them and will see if this gets rid of some of the dampness in the car:) Steve

Post #506341 25th Feb 2019 4:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>