Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > MY17 - My18 infotainment upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
NotNowJohn

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black

Hi folks. Just had the upgrade, but I’m not sure if I have 18C or 18D - the sat nav settings say 18C, but when I go to into software update option in settings it says 18D (see pics). The display is certainly looking different anyway.

Also I cannot get Apple Car Play to work no matter what I do, InControl apps open or closed, USB plugged in or not, and all permutations thereof. I can’t even get it to see any of my folders (all on Amazon Music with some on Apple Music). It did appear once or twice then just froze. Additionally nothing at all happens when I plug into USB despite having the auto display set to on.

Any advice would be very welcome, thanks.

2017 Range Rover Autobiography in Santorini Black with 22” turbines.

Post #502329 21st Jan 2019 8:35pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

You will certainly have Apple Carplay whether you have 18C or 18D (you definitely have "D" from your pics!)

1)Plug your iPhone in.
2)On the phone make sure you have Data Roaming on and the wifi is connected to the R***** number.
3)Check on top screen in car (in left top corner) that you have 3G or 4G showing.
4) Is your Simcard up to date?

All the above ok, then you should be good. If not you have an error somewhere.

PS This is for 2018MY but should be the same for your 2017 I would have thought. All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #502340 21st Jan 2019 10:12pm
NotNowJohn

Thanks Chalky - will try when I get home.

I didn't realise I had to be connected to the car's wifi for this to work...do you mean I need to be connected to the "3" SIM card I have installed in the car? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "Is your SIM card up to date"?

In my old Audi, it was just plug in and the Car Play menu appeared in the dash. Should I see the screen change to the Car Play menu if it's working properly? Also, do I need to have InControl apps open and my mobile unlocked?

Thanks, appreciate the help. 2017 Range Rover Autobiography in Santorini Black with 22” turbines.

Post #502386 22nd Jan 2019 11:11am
nubbin

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

My understanding is as follows - (and I am happy to be corrected as I have only just started using it myself)

You must plug in a USB cable to connect your phone, but it will use the in-car wireless via your in-car SIM to get information from the internet such as your Amazon playlists etc. However, because it can do this via the in-car wireless +USB you don't have to have the phone's wireless on and you can specify AA to turn off wireless on your phone when running via USB. When you first plug in, it will ask if you want to connect ICTP or Android Auto and you can specify either or neither as default.

You can tick a box to start Android Auto automatically when you switch on bluetooth on your phone, or plugging it in to USB will also start it.

Wireless AA and ACP are coming but I don't know when - presumably there'll be a software update at some point.

Post #502396 22nd Jan 2019 12:15pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Sorry John, been out today and only just got in...

Plug the phone into the USB slot.
Make sure the phone is on so you get your home screen. It should stay on once you have Carplay loaded and showing on the car screen.
Make sure you are connected to the car Wifi
Check you have 3 or 4 G (top screen left top) Not sure where that shows on MY2017?
Data roaming to ON on the iPhone under settings/Mobile Data

I asked if the sim card was up to date. meaning do you still have Data on it or does it need topping up?

That should do it. All LR cars from 1984

Post #502459 22nd Jan 2019 7:11pm
NotNowJohn

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thanks guys.

I’ve done exactly what you have said to the letter, and all that happens when I plug my phone in is that it starts charging! I saw a video on YouTube and the CarPlay alert should pop up on the car’s screen immediately so I’m thinking something is not right?

Could RR have been sneaky and given me 18D WITHOUT CarPlay?

I’ve attahxched some pics of my setup. Any more ideas please? Thank you! 2017 Range Rover Autobiography in Santorini Black with 22” turbines.

Post #502465 22nd Jan 2019 7:38pm
Lutonboy

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I’ve had my MY17 AB upgraded today. I don’t have the car WiFi enabled and Apple CarPlay is working fine. The images of your setup show a phone icon where mine shows a different icon representing ACP. In settings > general > CarPlay on your iPhone is there an entry for Range Rover at all?

Post #502468 22nd Jan 2019 8:31pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

I don't think you have Apple Carplay loaded on your car, 'cos everything in your pictures are as they are in my car and on my iPhone.

Before you go to a dealer, just reboot your phone and see what happens. It's not always the car's fault as I found out today. The music would not load properly from my phone and I did the usual "High- tech" thing and switched the phone off and back on again and everything is now fine!!

These new fangled things are SO frustrating sometimes!! All LR cars from 1984

Post #502481 22nd Jan 2019 10:08pm
NotNowJohn

Cheers guys.

I do have the CarPlay option in my iPhone settings, but it’s just for setting up wireless CarPlay which I don’t have. I tried it with my wife’s phone (we both have an iPhone X with the latest iOS installed), with different leads, and in each of the USB slots. The only thing that happened was an alert as per the attached pic - I could only get it to do this once!

Is it possible to get 18D and CarPlay to have not been installed? Or does it all come as one package?

The only thing I’ve not done is reboot the phone! Thanks Chalky will try that tomorrow.

Also I am using Anker heavy duty leads as I find the white Apple ones are rubbish quality. Could that be the issue? I use the Anker ones all over the house, in my MacBook, iMac, and in my other car with no problems?

2017 Range Rover Autobiography in Santorini Black with 22” turbines.

Post #502482 22nd Jan 2019 10:40pm
nubbin

Your last photo is a clincher - it should show options to connect via ACP or AA, depending on the phone, clearly ACP in your case. There will also be shortcuts on the home screen if they are installed -

You need to go back to your dealer!

Post #502484 22nd Jan 2019 11:27pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

The only cars in UK with wireless ACP are BMW's. Your phone just shows it in case it is an option, which it ain't in a LR!!

The update has not been installed correctly by your dealer because if it were, ACP or AA would launch automatically once the phone is plugged in. The lead will not be the problem as I am using a non-Apple lead as well. One of those plaited metal ones!

As a matter of interest Nubbin, what is that "Land Rover Omaha" banner at the bottom of your pic doing there?? All LR cars from 1984

Post #502514 23rd Jan 2019 10:55am
nubbin

Hi Chalky - I just googled for a photo of a screen with the smartphone buttons, because I couldn't be bothered going out to my cold garage to get a photo of mine! Rolling with laughter

Post #502520 23rd Jan 2019 12:40pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Ha!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter Very Happy All LR cars from 1984

Post #502523 23rd Jan 2019 12:47pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Ok the report back bit. The Apple Carplay works well and the new layout is clean and crisp with some pastel shades during the day and black/white at night. It all looks a bit smarter than it did. I can use Waze and the interface is very good, I would say the graphics look slightly blown up beyond their best but still pretty good overall. I haven't got to grips with the messaging as it wants me to dictate a message as soon as I try to open the App but time will tell. Podcasts are good but seldom use them and the Audiobooks bit is excellent. Spotify is very good and far better than the In Control effort from LR. My only disappointment is that my phone will no longer connect via the Bluetooth. I've called the service dept who said they would call me back in 10 mins an hour and 10 mins ago. We'll see.

Edit: Just found that the voice control system has also stopped working. Rolling Eyes
Still no call back 2 hrs 20 mins later.

Post #502534 23rd Jan 2019 2:40pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

This is all pretty typical Huw! I'm still waiting for a call back from the Bristol dealer which I rang about 4 times three weeks ago! Mind boggling!!

My car is booked into our local Dick Lovett dealer (given up with Bristol dealer!!) for numerous faults both with the infotainment system, soft close, tailgate etc which hopefully can be resolved.

The most frustrating thing about all these things is that although they are fairly minor, they should not keep re-occuring in a £90k + car (or any new car for that matter!!). The car is superb, took it shooting yesterday in the most appalling ground conditions (set to AUTO in the Terrain Response 2) and I didn't get wheelspin, let alone stuck all day. My passengers were mightily impressed....didn't have the infotainment system on though Whistle All LR cars from 1984

Post #502548 23rd Jan 2019 4:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>