Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Fixing up a tatty L322 - is it doable?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LivingtheDream

United Kingdom 
Fixing up a tatty L322 - is it doable?

I'm searching for an MY06/MY07 supercharged L322 at the moment and understandably many of these at this age have a few niggles.

Options are to increase the budget until I find one thats in a good state or buying a cheaper one with a few issues that I can sort - I've owned a TVR for many years so I'm quite used to sorted niggles Laughing

How realistic is this or would I spend the same amount as just upping the budget?

For example, these are some of the things I'm finding, how easy are these to sort?

Car with 2 keys, both work in the door but won't work remote. Only 1 will actually start the car.

Car with a small section of peeling lacquer on the bonnet - could be full respray of bonnet

One folding mirror not working

Also, which cars has the Venturecam? I've had conflicting info

thanks all

Post #504717 10th Feb 2019 2:46pm
S.Hafsmo

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

I just did this, bought a "cheap" L322 with a few niggles, but at this point I'm quite sure I've spent a lot more money than I would've on a better car. The small things on these are not cheap, and on slightly neglected cars, much of the fun (but not essential) bits have failed, and not been repaired. Usually stuff you won't notice right away. On mine I've fixed the Bluetooth, GPS antenna, venture cam, Outer tie rods, TPMS (still working on that one), DVD-changer, FBH, replaced both power side steps, rusted tailgate, loose headlight washer nozzles, faulty PDC-sensor, remanufactured transmission, and today I found 2-3ml of oil in the right side intercooler hose.. So, turbo is on the menu. There's also a few bushes on the rear suspension that doesn't look great (The biggest ones, naturally).

Buying a more expencive car give no guarantee against these things, but surely if you could get a car from an "enthusiast" who can show you a parts lits, that'd be a good place to start. 2007 L322 3.6 TDV8 Stornoway

Post #504720 10th Feb 2019 3:30pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

All SC's got the venture cam up until hmmmmm 2009 i think? certainly through 2007MY...

But remember, they have an internal battery and they fail which means most won't work at this age... Rolling Eyes

Post #504722 10th Feb 2019 3:59pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

2006 MY onwards from Vogue upwards got the venture cam - not sure when they stopped. All the SC should therefore have it from launch. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #504724 10th Feb 2019 4:26pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

My MY2005 Td6 had a venture cam. My MY2008 Tdv8 doesn't. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #504727 10th Feb 2019 5:27pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

I bought a 4.4 v8 petrol with a garage diagnosed head gasket failure minimum new engine required most likley........i bought it..... nothing wrong with it when i got it home and compression tested it, full service and im 3k miles into very nice ownership goes well with the fleet

Post #504729 10th Feb 2019 5:53pm
LivingtheDream

United Kingdom 

Thanks all - Sounds like owning a TVR - stuff needs doing and it costs, or takes time, or both!

Anyone any thoughts on the key thing, that niggling me. sounds like the not working via remote is a synchro thing but why would only one of two actually start the car?

Post #504761 10th Feb 2019 9:17pm
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Do you know the battery is okay in the key that doesn't work? Some of them {mine for example} have a rechargeable battery that is charged in use. Only ever use one key and the other one gradually discharges. I'm not sure whether it would still disable the immobiliser with a dead battery? 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #504785 11th Feb 2019 8:53am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

You can definitely save money getting a brilliantly maintained immaculate car with ONE big fault (e.g. needs engine or transmission). On an L322, you can probably source one 2nd hand and, if you’re handy and don’t have to pay labour, you can certainly come out ahead.

But an L322 or L405 has a HUGE number of parts. Most are very expensive. Redoing the interior on a Defender is doable. On a modern FFRR it’s just not worth the cost. A tatty one just isn’t worth the time and will likely cost more in the long run. If you have a particular vehicle that you are restoring for sentimental reasons, that one thing, but it won’t save you money.

Post #504873 11th Feb 2019 11:00pm
Nin

United Kingdom 

I guess it’s the same for cars and bikes - I bought an accident damaged BMW GS to rebuild, a pretty straightforward job really but inevitably ended up spending waaaay more than I would have if I’d just bought a good ‘un.

It was fun though.

Post #505505 17th Feb 2019 8:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1