Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Speedometer accuracy question.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I used to have 255 50 20 tyres fitted and 30mph on my numeric speedo always showed as 26/27mph on my sat nav.

I have now changed to 255 55 20 tyres and 30mph on my numeric Speedo now shows as 30mph on my gps sat nav.
Also checked at 50mph and they give exactly the same reading.

Mike G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #504445 8th Feb 2019 1:27pm
Busterbulldog

Wales 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I downloaded a speed app. After a good test at a variety of speeds the speedo over reads by a steady 6mph. No wonder I was getting grief from behind in 30 zones lol.

Post #504803 11th Feb 2019 1:00pm
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Speedometers are never accurate. They tend to show the speed of one wheel by counting ABS teeth. For this speed to be replicated across all wheels requires an absolutely flat driving surface and travel in an absolutely straight line with identical tyre diameters. Normally, all the wheels on a vehicle move at slightly different speeds - otherwise there would have been no need to invent the differential axle. EU law, translated into UK legislation is clear that a speedometer may never under-read the road speed. Manufacturers therefore deliberately set speedos to over-read. This allows for tyre wear (which reduces the wheel diameter) and allows salesmen and owners to brag about the speeds their car can do.

A GPS sat-nav may well be more accurate, but cannot be absolutely accurate, This is due to 2 things. Firstly, there is usually no allowance for altitude changes in sat-nav speed calculations. Simple Pythagoras' Theorem proves that a vehicle ascending or descending a slope travels further between two points in a given time. Secondly, sat-navs provide an average speed over preset time intervals rather than a simple straightforward speed measurement. If you don't believe this, brake sharply to a halt and your sat-nav will take a noticeable time to reach zero mph.

Post #505294 15th Feb 2019 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12