Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Rear Dash Cam
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

maybe a different location on the rear window might help..

Post #517735 7th Jun 2019 7:53pm
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Fitting a dashcam on the front screen is quite easy and I've installed them myself on other vehicles. However when it came to a rear dashcam in the FFRR i didn't really want to mess around with headlining etc. so I had front and rear installed by Dash Witness who did a great job. It's at the top of the rear screen and doesn't bother me at all. That said, its privacy glass so doesn't show much. I have a Nextbase 512 GW setup which has great reviews for the front camera but not so good for the back due to reduction of clarity and issues with instances of the cable socket pushing in to the camera body. My setup works absolutely fine and has done for several months. The picture quality is totally adequate and no issues with radio interference. The only annoyance was positioning of the front camera. Apparently for legal reasons you shouldn't be able to see the screen. This isn't practical when you need to enter the menu for setting parking mode etc. so I moved it to a more user friendly location. First of all you very soon lose the need to look at it and secondly, even if you did it's no more distracting to your forward view than looking in the rear view mirror.

Post #517741 7th Jun 2019 8:15pm
SCL

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Thanks Chalky, saves me a job tomorrow.

Steve You can't swim uphill in custard all the time, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Post #517742 7th Jun 2019 8:25pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Here's my installation by Dash Witness as well. Very neat job....Can someone PLEASE tell me how/why all my uploads of photos are either upside down or on their side?????????????????? Censored

.jpg[/img] All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #517770 8th Jun 2019 10:12am
pmanchuk

United States 2019 Range Rover HSE 3.0 SC V6 Santorini Black

Similar to SCL, I have a blackvue (which I transferred over from my previous RRSport) and did the install myself - the rear cam was actually easier and cleaner than the Sport simply because on the full size, the interior panel on the tailgate is accessible (held by clips) rather than the full one piece moulded panel in the Sport... I ran the wire front to back tucked up in the headliner, then through the rubber conduit to the top of the tailgate, down the side (behind the removable trim next to the support strut), through that same grommet which puts the cable back into the interior (effectively behind the license plate). The small difference in my install was that I popped out the rear sun load sensor, pulled the cable through there and was able to re-seat the sensor without having to enlarge or make any additional holes. As SCL mentioned, because of the angle of that interior trim, the cam is pretty much invisible when looking in the rearview mirror which makes a world of difference to me (on the Sport, I had mounted it at the top of the window and always noticed it in the mirror). Overall I'm quite happy with the outcome of the install particularly being a DIY job and it's all rather stealth (tinted glass helps) unless you're really looking for it.

Post #533139 4th Nov 2019 3:01pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

nice work Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #533167 4th Nov 2019 7:05pm
basil

2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Mariana Black

I had the same DAB issue after my twin camera BlackVue dashcam was fitted - but the auto sparks sorted it by moving the cable away from the DAB cable - DAB reception is now almost perfect.

Post #533195 4th Nov 2019 10:20pm
dazsear

Well I’ve been fitting my BlackVue twin camera yesterday and the rear cam is certainly a challenge to do properly.
Front cam was easy and then routed both the cables toward the rear down the drivers side of the headlining.
I intend to fit a power magic device somewhere near the battery, will have to work out locations to source my constant and switched power later today.
Getting the rear camera wire to the rear screen was interesting to say the least.
I have used the rubber flex pipe that takes wires to the tailgate, to access this you have to remove the rear spoiler together with its multitude of pipes and wires. There are then two rubber flex tubes to struggle with but once sorted the wire runs down the inside of the tailgate.
I like the idea of routing the wire through the light sensor hole and mounting the camera at the bottom of the screen so that is my job for today.
I know one thing for sure, I won’t be removing this when I come to sell the car lol. 2008 RRS HST - loved the car from 6 months old until a few years old
2009 Disco HSE - nice and practical alternative when I needed the space.
VW T5 Transporter - mid life crisis perhaps
2017 FFRR 4.4AB - best car I’ve ever owned

Post #550161 13th Apr 2020 8:10am
Macpaul

2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Siberian Silver

It’s entirely your business, but my Power Magic is in the front passenger footwell fuse compartment, behind the glovebox unit. (Squeeze two pegs and it drops down).

Some circuits there are permanent live, some are switchable.

And yes, I sold madam’s (non-RR) car the other day and just cut the cables and unstuck the cameras!

Post #550164 13th Apr 2020 8:36am
dazsear

Well it’s now all fitted and working fine with the ignition on.
The power magic powers the system down for some reason.
The location I have used for permanent live near the battery in the luggage compartment drops to just under 12v when the ignition is off. Need to check my battery to see what voltage it’s putting out when the ignition is off since I need a location that is slightly more than 12v. 2008 RRS HST - loved the car from 6 months old until a few years old

Post #550345 14th Apr 2020 5:05pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

I had to switch my Power Magic off 'cos with parking mode on for the Blackvue front and back cams I kept getting a low battery warning. LR replaced the battery twice thinking it was the car but it's a known fault with Blackvue.

Not sure whether the battery was actually low but the car thinks it is!!! All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #550352 14th Apr 2020 5:54pm
dazsear

Thanks for the advice. I’ll get the battery checked to be on the safe side while it’s still under warranty.
It’s not the end of the world if the camera only works when the ignition is on but car park cover would be a bonus. 2008 RRS HST - loved the car from 6 months old until a few years old

Post #550361 14th Apr 2020 7:34pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Am I correct in assuming that the DAB aerial is located near to/underneath the exterior aerial on the rear part of the roof?

I’m asking because I am re-fitting my front/rear Blackview to my new RR next weekend and am thinking about buying some EMI cable shield for the rear dashcam cable where I run it close to the roof aerial, hopefully to avoid DAB problems. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #555030 23rd May 2020 3:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12