Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > My dead TDV8 / turbo failure / moving onto a 4.2SC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
fanders

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

EGR valves were standard and original, never replaced. They did the squeaky thing on shutdown the same way through my six years’ of ownership, never threw a fault code. I was always careful to allow the turbos to cool down, particularly after long motorway runs where the car would idle for a couple of minutes before being switched off. I guess we should just consider turbochargers to be wear items with a finite life and replace them at a short enough interval - maybe every 100,000 miles if cared for? Less if ragged. But I got 172,000 out of mine, and I’m sure others have done more; but more yet have done less.

I think it’s too much of a coincidence that I was running with a split intercooler hose on the failed (right) side for a couple of weeks prior to the failure. I replaced it the day before it failed, there was a misting of oil in the failed hose showing that some oil was making it past the about-to-fail turbo oil seal.

Post #527508 9th Sep 2019 11:07pm
fanders

4.2SC buying checklist

For what it's worth I put together this checklist when I did the pre-buy inspection on my new 4.2SC Rangie, it's based on one on the wiki but reformatted as a one-page checklist with tickboxes and has a few SC-specific items on there. It might be helpful for someone looking at a used L322:

Click image to enlarge

Post #527648 11th Sep 2019 9:06am
fanders

Managed to get a few nice pictures of the new 4.2SC today in the sunshine. Next step will be to detail the paint, which is ok as is but has a lot of small swirls in the lacquer layer:

Also installed the obligatory forum sticker:

Post #528146 15th Sep 2019 9:49pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Enjoy I have had mine for 5 yrs and put over 120k on it - its now on 185k- and it is still going strong
Rear diff problem comes from the paint they used inside the diff delaminates and gets chewed into a paste in the diff so change the oil anyway I did mine a couple of times and it came out like treacle eventually changed mine as a bearing went but picked up a breaker from an 80k vehicle for 350 quid straight swap and it has been good
I also do the gearbox filter and fluid every 30k and engine oil every 10k
Looks great sure you will enjoy it

Post #528208 16th Sep 2019 1:19pm
fanders

Thanks Sandyt, I was reading about yours when I was deciding what type of L322 to buy when the TDV8 died. Sounds like you have a good one too. I will be doing all the routine servicing on this new 4.2SC (my old TDV8 went to my local LR Indy for regular servicing), and am planning the following oil/fluid service intervals:

The transfer case input/output shaft seals are being done this week, so that will be done, but I will be slowly going through all the other items in the next couple of months to bring it all up to date. It will be interesting to examine the rear differential oil, I don't have all the receipts for this vehicle but imagine that the oil is original. I'll post what I find.

fanders Thumbs Up

Last edited by fanders on 15th Nov 2019 2:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #528225 16th Sep 2019 2:03pm
fanders

Almost there with the old TDV8!

Almost there with stripping the old TDV8 of useful parts before it goes off to the scrappy before Christmas on a trailer, just need to remove the window regulators, windows including front screen and the electric park brake unit.

I have to say it's been a most instructive and enjoyable (when it didn't rain) process, knowing that I have a decent spares pool now and having taken a lot of it apart. As it didn't matter if I broke a few clips etc when removing parts, it went quite quickly and I only ended up breaking two parts - the steering angle sensor when removing the steering column assembly, and a tab off the sunroof gearbox. I hope I won't be repeating this with the 4.2SC! That has been very well behaved so far, and the next jobs on it are repairing the driver's heated/cooled seat with spare Peltier units from the TDV8 and corrosion protecting the sills/wheelarches, a job for the Christmas break.

fanders

Post #534369 15th Nov 2019 2:42pm
MR GLOVER

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

WOW Shocked Shocked well striped

Post #534388 15th Nov 2019 7:37pm
RichM63

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hey friend, don't suppose that you still have the longitudinal air tank under the driver side twixt sill and chassis.

It is about 3ft long, should be stainless, .....

We can sort delivery.

Best, Rich

Post #534400 15th Nov 2019 8:54pm
fanders

Hi Rich, yep it’s still there. I’ll pull it out and send you some pics. If you want it I can drop with your chum in Petersfield.

Thumbs Up

Post #534401 15th Nov 2019 9:10pm
RichM63

Sounds good to me. Smile I do need one. (send me PM etc).

As per always; when breaking a car, we always have a whole carrier bag of fixings and fixtures, washers and nuts, under chassis plastic plate screws....

Be in touch soon.

Best, Rich

Post #534402 15th Nov 2019 9:27pm
fanders

Off to the L322 Elephant's Graveyard

Fateful day came yesterday when it was time to take the dead TDV8 L322 off to the great car graveyard. Sad but nice to have the driveway space back. Good job I have another L322 to tow it with:

I and some forum members here had had quite a lot of parts from it, not much worth having was left:

Shortly to become new frying pans etc:

£231 for the hull, quite pleased with that as it more than covered the trailer hire and petrol.

So long grey Rangie, long live the blue 4.2SC Rangie!

Cheers, fanders Thumbs Up

Post #538027 20th Dec 2019 5:20pm
quavey

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

It seems a crying shame to have skipped what looked like a fairly straight shell still with panels and some glass in!

I can't believe you wouldn't have got more than £231 on ebay for it as it stood even those wheels must have been worth £150! 2005 E60 M5
2006 L322 4.2 SC
2020 Tesla Model S Long Range
--------
2004 L322 4.4 Vogue, 2019 NP300 Navara, 2016 NP300 Navara, 2002 L322 4.4 HSE, 2006 (MY07) L322 S/C ,2001 330Ci Sport Track Car, 2005 650i Coupe, 2001 P38 Vogue, 2003 530i Sport Touring, 1999 P38 4.6 HSE, 2002 E39 M5, 1995 300zx TT Slicktop, 1997 M3 Evo, 1992 300zx TT Targa, 1998 323i Coupe

Post #538138 21st Dec 2019 7:42pm
fanders

Yep shame to see it go although it was fairly rusty underneath/sills/rear arches. The doors were generally ok but at £45 per door skin the shipping on top of that was way more that they were worth. Alloys fairly crusty too and the bonnet was corroding all around the edge due to a priming defect from new. Scrappies - it’s the way they all go in the end!

fanders Thumbs Up

Post #538202 22nd Dec 2019 12:51pm
fanders

A spot of rear arch and sill rustproofing

With a bit of time free over the Christmas break I though I'd have a look at the sills and rear arches on the new 4.2SC, and rectify any defects found. As the vehicle is generally very rust free, I was hoping not to find too many horrors. So, up on jacks and off with the sill trims and rear arch liners:

Once the sill trims were off it was clear that someone had been here before, with a waxy residue visible on the sill access holes - a good sign:

A look inside the sills with my wifi iPhone borescope camera (£15 well spent on eBay) revealed that the inside of the sills were in excellent condition with no rust, coated with a layer of light brown wax:

The rear arches did have a little light surface corrosion on the thin return flange, but were otherwise very good:

So, I attacked the surface rust with some emery cloth and soon found the steel beneath:

Whilst I was in there, I painted the brake disk centres with VHT silver as they were a bit tatty:

And then masked up and painted the sanded-down areas with rust-eater, then chassis black paint followed by Buckingham Blue topcoat:

I also painted the lower wishbones with rust-eater and chassis black to smarten them up, as they were a bit rusty:

It was then a case of waxing the sill cavities before reassembly, with 3M Cavity Wax Plus:

This in an excellent product with nozzles that spray the wax in a 360 degree fan due to the nozzle design. I also injected grease into other folds in the rear arch skins:

Before putting it all back together again. I added the extra rear arch lip rubber trims on the unprotected forward sections of the arch flanges as per the other threads on this subject, having got two LR001623 Freelander 2 'wheel arch protector water shield' rubber trims from Keith Gott's for £18. They didn't need much trimming to fit, just 1/4" off the end worked fine. I loaded them up with grease before installation. I also sprayed the inside of the arches with clear Waxoyl to protect this area:

So all in all a pleasant surprise in how free from corrosion my sills and rear arches were, as my old TDV8 was suffering badly in that department prior to its expiry. I'll inspect these areas annually to check condition and renew grease/wax protection, and be careful pressure washing the arches to avoid blasting out the grease on the arch lips.

Post #539243 2nd Jan 2020 10:02pm
RichM63

Looking good and rust free.

Post #539278 3rd Jan 2020 9:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>