Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > To extend the warranty or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Singh911

United Kingdom 
To extend the warranty or not?

Hi all

I've owneed my 2016 VSE 3.0tdv6 for coming on to two and a half years. The manufacturers warranty runs out at the end of November.

I've done 30k miles, its been the most reliable car i've owned, not had a single thing go wrong.

Typical mileage is local plus three or four trips to the Alps every year.

I change the oil myself every six months (use Fuchs titan pro as recomended by wimbledon service centre).

i'm wondering whether to extend the warranty - if i am going to do it, i must do it before the current one expires to avoid a £400+ healthcheck. cost i've been quoted on the website is £1k pa.

There are some real horror stories on there but i've not experienced anything adverse. But if something beaks £1k isnt going to go very far.

Just wondered if anyone risks not having the warranty.

Thanks Current
VSE MY2016 3.0tdv6 - stolen January 2024
458 Spider
996 GT3 mk1
GR Yaris
W124 E320 estate
Previoius
F10 M5
Cayenne S
X5

Post #530556 11th Oct 2019 9:09am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Doesn't changing your own oil invalidate the warranty ?

Post #530558 11th Oct 2019 9:18am
Singh911

United Kingdom 

I don't know - but i dont tell them about it either.
i use the oil they recomend and original parts, can't see why it would? Current
458 Spider
996 GT3 mk1
GR Yaris
W124 E320 estate
Previoius
F10 M5
Cayenne S
X5

Post #530559 11th Oct 2019 9:21am
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Personally I would extend.
You've been lucky you've had trouble free motoring so far but that is no indication it will last. And if things do go wrong, the bills quickly rack up - these are not cheap cars to repair and just the simplest thing can easily exceed the £1400 or so the extended renewal will cost.

But I'm slightly biased, in the last 15 months the warranty have had to pay probably around £30k in repairs to mine - because unlike your good luck, Ive a lot of bad luck. so for me its a no brainer to renew.

I am of course insanely jealous of your trouble free motoring! Laughing

Post #530561 11th Oct 2019 9:29am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Singh911 wrote:
I don't know - but i dont tell them about it either.
i use the oil they recomend and original parts, can't see why it would?

Ah - you're doing that in addition to a paid for & documented service ?

In which case I guess it's OK as long as they don't find out. If you have a claim it would count against you....

I didn't extend mine & have had 3 years of trouble free motoring.

As always, it's a gamble - but the warranty will not be a loss maker - so priced to make money. That means on average it's likely to cost more than the claims - so it's basically a premium for partial peace of mind should the worst happen...... I say partial as it appears that the worst thing that happens on the V6 is bearing failure and that's deemed a design failure by the warranty and you need to rely on a good will payment from JLR to cover part of it.......

Post #530563 11th Oct 2019 9:51am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

if you think any repairs will be less than the full LR warranty priced at £1600 then i wouldnt bother...

on my last two FF's i.ve had the full warrantys and have found that any bits that do need doing cause me frustration in trying to get it booked in at the dealers in a reasonable time and getting a courtesy car is near on impossible.
saying that, its peace of mind knowing that if i do break down then LR assist will sort me out.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #530566 11th Oct 2019 10:18am
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

My thoughts are that owning a high value vehicle, regardless of make or model, without a warranty is like playing Russian roulette. With Land Rovers reputation for reliability I think that if I owned a modern version worth more than £25k I would put a warranty on it.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

Post #530567 11th Oct 2019 10:25am
Buz1500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

My 2013 SDV8 is just gone out of the LR 2 year used approved warranty. I've decided not to extend as I've had most the known issues already fixed under the warranty, knocking front suspension, secondary turbo replaced etc. I've got a good independent near me so I'm going to take my chances. 2019 L405 SDV8 Autobiography
2023 Defender P400e HSE X-dynamic - gone
2020 Defender P300 SE - gone

2019 Jaguar F-Pace SVR - gone
2013 SDV8 Autobiography - gone
2011 L322 TDV8 Vogue SE - gone
2006 L322 3.6 Vogue Se - gone
1999 P38 4.0 se - gone
199? Classic 3.5 - gone

Post #530569 11th Oct 2019 10:42am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

If you are thinking of taking the LR warranty, check the terms carefully as one of the two I was offered had a claims limit that would have prevented it covering the full cost of (say) a catastrophic engine failure. LR's attitude to the corrosion on the wheel arches on my last 322 led me not to take the warranty, and over years four and five all I had to pay beyond routine servicing was about £700 for a new starter motor, so my decision was profitable.

In general my experience has been that there are claims in the early days of a new car as manufacturing defects come to the fore, then not so much until about year five and then there are regular failures, but not necessarily to the value of the warranty cost.

In your case, there is the added risk of the 3.0 engine, you will have seen the threads about failures. The dealer I use seems to regard replacement (mainly in Discoveries) as almost routine work now. Subject to checking that engine failure would be covered by the warranty, I'd probably take it if I had a 3.0. If the warranty does not cover it, then it's not worth having. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #530573 11th Oct 2019 10:57am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

We extended the warranty on our 3.0 TDv6. £145.50/ month over 10 months without breakdown cover Shocked

Some people say that if the 3.0 crankshaft goes, the extended warranty company won't cover that. So, we additionally got in writing from LRCS that provided we comply with LR service and maintenance schedules, in the event of a 3.0 crankshaft failure, then if the warranty declines to cover, LR will pay for everything.

Does the potential 3.0 crankshaft failure worry? No. Why? On a personal level, we have it covered. More importantly, in reality, for all the noise on this forum about the 3.0 crankshaft being a cause for concern, there are few examples of that problem afflicting the L405 RR to date (based on posts on this forum at least); and take those concerns away, being 3 years into 3.0 ownership, it's the best all round engine we have had in a RR (previously had 4.4TDV8 L322 & 4.2SC L322 before that).

Lots (and lots and lots) of references to the Discovey having crankshaft failure issues on this forum (the inference being its coming to an L405 near you soon).

There seem to be more tales of woe on this forum about things going wrong with the 4.4 L405 engine than the 3.0 L405 engine (accepting that statistically, if more people by the 4.4, you might expect to hear more 4.4 things going wrong).

Whatever the variant, based on past experience, I'd be more comfortable with a warranty on any RR Thumbs Up

Post #530748 13th Oct 2019 1:47pm
Singh911

United Kingdom 

Thank you for all the replies.
I am minded to go for the warranty, quoted £1,050 without breakdown cover which i have elsewhere anyway.
Could you share who you contacted about the crankcase issue being covered please? - i am minded to do the same and will not mention any names or anything.
Will feedback what response i get from them.
Cheers Current
458 Spider
996 GT3 mk1
GR Yaris
W124 E320 estate
Previoius
F10 M5
Cayenne S
X5

Post #530754 13th Oct 2019 2:25pm
Singh911

United Kingdom 

Just by way of update, i have a copy of the latest warranty booklet. The extended warranty says it covers the following (quoted from the bookley) - specifically mentions "crankshaft and bearings".

I had raised the issue with LR and Car care plan - i'm about to purchase this week. The inclusion of this seems to address any concerns with the 3.0?

Engine
Failure of the following internal mechanical parts only: Starter ring gear, flywheel,
oil pump, crankshaft and bearings, timing gears, Variable Valve Timing control
unit (VVT), timing chain and cam belt, camshafts, cam followers, tappet gear,
valves and guides, pistons and rings, cylinder bores, con rods, cylinder head,
cylinder head gaskets and all internal bushings (excluding lacquered valves or
failures due to carbon deposits). Current
458 Spider
996 GT3 mk1
GR Yaris
W124 E320 estate
Previoius
F10 M5
Cayenne S
X5

Post #536143 2nd Dec 2019 12:42pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

It also says that it won’t cover what they consider to be “known design faults” and they will refer you back to LR themselves.

Post #545492 28th Feb 2020 7:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1