Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Orders (L405) > L405 Westminster? It's here folks
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Chalky

United Kingdom 

I think he is seriously looking at Hydrogen like JLR. Don't want to name drop, but I see him now and again (out shooting), so if I get the chance I'll ask him his plans.

I think the infrastructure for Hydrogen would be easier than electric and no whacking great heavy batteries to get rid of after a few years which i don't think would be entirely "environmentally friendly", to use the latest buzzwords!

Saying that, I nearly bought an electric FFRR but didn't think it viable for me re battery charge. All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #536013 30th Nov 2019 7:18pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I know one of his direct reports, but I have to say he stays VERY tight lipped so I cannot get any goss whatsoever and not for the want of trying. Never met the big man himself. So see what you can find out. I'd love it if the line about "we're abandoning our electric vehicle project" was smoke and mirrors for doing something radical with hydrogen. D i s r u p t.

But I do not need a Dyson car. What I really need is a Dyson beard trimmer. Seriously, that is a segment crying out for some innovation. PLEASE ask him about that first! Thumbs Up I know they'd charge £299 for it, but sign me up. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #536027 30th Nov 2019 9:23pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

JLR are fully onboard with electric, as is every big manufacturer - governments have made the choice of electric.

Post #536064 1st Dec 2019 11:30am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

That's true but previously they made the choice for diesel. Confused John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #536066 1st Dec 2019 12:08pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

GGDR wrote:
As I understand,producing Hydrogen requires a lot of electricity

Hydrogen really needs to be made using renewable electricity sources for it to stack up environmentally.

Post #536073 1st Dec 2019 1:07pm
Triarii

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

One interesting aspect of battery technology is that as the charge per Kg or charge per cubic metre increases then the energy density starts to approach that of explosives... Shocked 17 MY Corris Grey 4.4 VAB
Silver MB R231 SL350

Post #538295 23rd Dec 2019 12:22pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Unlike petrol? Whistle L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #538304 23rd Dec 2019 2:40pm
Badger

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Carpathian Grey

ilard wrote:
But Dyson has withdrawn from the car industry. Or was that just a decoy press release or something? Hydrogen is really exciting, you could refuel it like petrol, but I also heard it is environmentally expensive to produce which might throw some blockers in the way. It is seriously explosive, so you can't take safety lightly. And imagine how long it will take to roll out a whole new infrastructure. But I'd be supportive, it certainly feels right as a fossil fuel alternative. A small to medium battery + a hydrogen fuel tank, and it's the hybrid of the future.

In the meantime, a wee 300 BHP 4 pot petrol and a chubby 150 kg battery are good enough for me for now! I tell you this thing is seriously sprightly (and rolly). I'll be offering drag races for 5.0SC and 4.4 SDV8 owners next thing you know
Rolling with laughter
well, a drag race to 30 mph, and strictly in a straight line Rolling Eyes

re the (rolly) comment, did you know that the P400e automatically sets itself to COMFORT mode, which is much more wallowy than the previous models? You can set it to DYNAMIC which is a little firmer, by raising the circular button down behind the handbrake, and then using the VEHICLE section of the large bottom screen to change it.

Post #539167 2nd Jan 2020 10:34am
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Not sure what the overall environmental saving might be but surely minds cleverer than mine could solve any problems with manufacturing hydrogen at the fuel station (you theoretically only need water and electricity to produce it) then you have zero distribution costs (ie no tankers transporting it all around ther place) and no massive production plants in one place. Other models might be local production plants with local distribution networks.

Whatever we end up with, hydrogen is the future. The problems ('challenges,' 'opportunities' - insert as applicable to your management/leadership ethos!) can all be solved eventually. Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #539172 2nd Jan 2020 12:27pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Now I’m no chemist, (got a U grade in my chemistry o level....) but I believe hydrogen exists in the atmosphere, so surely (?) all we need to do is create a system which can draw hydrogen from the atmosphere, pressurise it and then feed it directly into a combustion chamber to force a piston down. In other words the vehicle itself captures the hydrogen with no need to store a large volume under pressure and no need for an expensive storage and distribution network.

Any chemists on here can and no doubt will point out all the shortcomings and challenges to this!

Post #539193 2nd Jan 2020 3:56pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

I also failed Chemistry O level. My understanding is that the equipment needed to produce a sufficient amount of hydrogen is large in size and therefore wouldn't fit into a car.

Post #539209 2nd Jan 2020 5:00pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I got chucked out of chemistry. But I found the earth’s atmosphere contains:
Nitrogen — 78 percent
Oxygen — 21 percent
Argon — 0.93 percent
Carbon dioxide — 0.04 percent
Trace amounts of neon, helium, methane, krypton and hydrogen, as well as water vapour

So the practical source of hydrogen would be from water, not the atmosphere. I also heard that - today - the equipment and power required is large, but that could change if someone has a brainwave.

Badger, I only tried Dynamic briefly and too soon for me to decide what difference it makes. That said, I don’t mind the roly poly, I specifically bought this for comfort. I might just need to Velcro my son to the back seat. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #539231 2nd Jan 2020 7:33pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Chalky wrote:
JLR have stopped investing in electric and are concentrating on Hydrogen. So is Dyson.

This article is a year old, so what happened?

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/cov...y-15661300 Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #539323 3rd Jan 2020 8:35pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
I also failed Chemistry O level. My understanding is that the equipment needed to produce a sufficient amount of hydrogen is large in size and therefore wouldn't fit into a car.

I passed my chemistry, and one other o level!

A universit only this week has started to run some of its campus heating on hydrogen.

The hydrogen converter is a 20 foot container, powered by sunlight.

That produces the gas, to then be put into your cars hydrogen tank. Scale the 20 foot container down and put that in the garden...... maybe?

Ps it was a poor o level pass Laughing Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #539324 3rd Jan 2020 8:41pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12