Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Network / wifi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Interesting reading this, since I should really sort my wifi kit out too...

I've tried using BT devices as wireless extenders but gave up. This was with BT ones and also netgear ones.
These were all pre-mesh technology, so maybe I need to have another go.

Currently we have a BT homehub 5 in the middle of our place.
Attached to that via cat5 is a DGND3700 in the lounge, acting as a wireless access point plus lounge switch.
Also we have a HomeHub4 the other end of the house, again as an access point.

My experience of using in repeater mode is that despite them all being set to use the same SSIDs, and set to use specific channels to reduce interference, the throughput was very poor. Not a chance of streaming music, let alone videos.
With them connected via cat5 the throughput improves, but we can't truly wander about the house seamlessly. As we move from one end of the house to the other the phone (or whatever) will attempt to switch connection to the stronger signal, but it sometimes fails to always get an address assigned correctly. I should add that I have statically assigned addresses for most things, yet it still fails.
This appears to be the BT HomeHub5, as it is acting as the DHCP. Rebooting the HH5 usually fixes it.

I mention this purely to say, regardless of how you connect them together, you might find the BT HomeHub is the weakest link.

Let us know how you get on Greg. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #537644 16th Dec 2019 2:39pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

My New place is all Cat 6, I could have put a few wired APs round the house but I’m using a TP-link deco system mesh Wi-fi, I have 5 little boxes scattered round the house which all just plug into the wall, they can be backhauled over the cat cable if needed, but it works fine without.

I have had to disable the dchp server on the Bt hub which just acts as a fibre modem now and has its Wi-fi turned off, the deco system acts as the DCHP server itself, it’s was working patchily before I disabled the BT hub. But is fine now. I then have one deco connected to it via Ethernet, and that chains onto my switch where all the Cat cables network back to in my data cupboard.

I have about 8 sonos units all connected to the network in various ways, and they all work fine, they seemed the most sensitive to the DCHP servers being on/off (as you would expect) but it’s all settled down fine now.

It needed a little fiddling and moving the units to get it all working but you can walk around the house seamlessly with good Wi-fi everywhere. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #538719 28th Dec 2019 5:12pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Interesting, NMJ.

Over christmas I bought a set of tp-link Deco P9s too.
These are mesh wifi, but the big appeal was they also integrate powerline transmission too (plus support bluetooth and IoT stuff).

The master one is connected via cat5e (as required) to the router, and the other two are simply plugged into the mains. I disabled wifi on the BT Hub and unplugged the other wifi switches since they arent needed now.
I left DHCP enabled on the BT Hub as I want fixed addressing assigned for the cabled things, and they were already configured that way so meant less disruption.
We don't have many IP cameras, but do have a number of other things connected.

For the first time we have excellent max wifi signal thoughout the house, and can wander from room to room without the connection dropping. This includes in the annexe that previously needed a cat5 cabled repeater, and was at best usable.

I am really impressed at how simple they were to configure, and how well they are performing.
The addition of the powerline connectivity / backhaul means its possible to add another unit that would otherwise be out of wifi range, like in a garage, workshop, or summer house Thumbs Up

Some of their other devices don't include the powerline bit, but they can be mixed and matched (to some extent) Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #539177 2nd Jan 2020 2:19pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Sounds like it’s worked out well John. Still really impressed with mine. Had a slight issue with one dropping out, but it’s been on for 5 weeks now no probs so hopefully I shouldn’t have any more issues. They do give a really decent coverage, and the ability to backhaul them is great. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #539199 2nd Jan 2020 5:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12