Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > L322 Off Road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Japseroony

England 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver
L322 Off Road

Hi Guys

Having has several Defenders and Disco2’s off road I have recently had a D3 and D4 for the same purpose - the Defenders and Disco2’s more aggressively than the D3 & D4’s that we’re used more for green leaning and Andorra trips but now thinking of a FFRR L322 and specifically a 4.2 S/C Whistle

Having recently purchased an SV Autobiography I can see size may be an issue but anything else you guys can think of that would put me off?

Cheers. "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #541584 23rd Jan 2020 12:43pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the L322 is more than capable for off roading....search 'salisbury plain' Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #541586 23rd Jan 2020 1:02pm
nearlee

Wales 

Mine works fine off road, if not better than my d3 and g4d2.

Remember:- amateurs built the ark
Proffesionals built the titanic

Post #541587 23rd Jan 2020 1:02pm
Japseroony

stan wrote:
the L322 is more than capable for off roading Thumbs Up

I appreciate that Stan and most LR vehicles are good off road - just considering the difference in length, width and wheel options as well as potential protection may be an issue so asked the question was all Thumbs Up

I am fairly new to the FF world so trying to learn what fits and what wont is new to me and as an example with the D4 you can't go lower than 19" wheels (unless you spend a fortune on Compmotive or similar) where as on the D3 you could go down to 17" giving a huge tyre range, so trying to find out some info before I take the plunge Bow down

On a 4.2 S/C what wheel/tyre options are there and is it only Prospeed that offer under-body protection for the FF etc?

Are there suspension, bushes, arms etc that need consideration when going off road like the issues with the D3's?

Cheers. "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #541618 23rd Jan 2020 4:55pm
Bloke

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Not got mine stuck yet! Common sense will keep you right.

Post #541624 23rd Jan 2020 5:32pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

No experience of the 4.2SC, but my BMW 4.4 petrol and 4.4TDV8 were both used on farm tracks and fields (not requiring underbody protection though) and were generally fine. I used either Goodyear MT/R (no longer available) or Goodyear Duratrac in 255/55R19, which I thought much better than the standard tyres, I had a spare set of style 15 wheels for the TDV8. It is a heavy vehicle so can get bogged down in really soft ground, big tractor and chain on front eye required on a couple of occasions. But then I have known quads and even argocats get stuck. The 4.2Sc won't be much different in weight to the D4.

There were several occasions where I was in the same field as a D2 and had to tow it out, the tyres being the main thing.

The SC cars will have a slightly different power delivery and you'll maybe need to be slightly more cautious than with the diesels, e.g. booting it to get through a sticky patch and it suddenly gets a grip and shoots forward. I think all RRs tend to break away at the back first, I don't know if that would be the same with Discos. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #541635 23rd Jan 2020 7:09pm
fenlander

England 2002 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

So I was out greenlaning with the local LR club in the Norfolk Broads today in Jessica and thoughts naturally turned to giving Gloria a spin...

A suggestion was made that vinyl wrapping is the way to go to avoid scratching the s**t out of the L322 paintwork, apparently there is some super industrial grade wrap that resists even hawthorn spikes and supposedly easy enough to remove the wrap later using a heat gun.

Has anyone tried/done this wrapping approach for greenlaning I wonder? "Gloria" 2002 L322 Voguish V8 LPG - carcass
"Jessica" 1996 Disco 1 300 TDi Auto
"Harriet" 1994 Disco 1 300 TDi Manual - Gone
"Daisy" 1992 Disco 1 200 TDi Manual - Gone

Post #541911 25th Jan 2020 10:17pm
Japseroony

CS wrote:
No experience of the 4.2SC, but my BMW 4.4 petrol and 4.4TDV8 were both used on farm tracks and fields (not requiring underbody protection though) and were generally fine. I used either Goodyear MT/R (no longer available) or Goodyear Duratrac in 255/55R19........................................................

Now this is more like the info I was after Thumbs Up

I understand having had Defenders, Disco 2's, 3's and 4's that most LR products are reasonably decent off road and believe me I have pushed the first 3 to the vehicles limits (not the D4 as that was a 66 plate and I did not want to destroy it) but just fancy something a little different and was looking at a FFRR S/C so was wondering about the length, width, weight and how they were off road but it seems like they are very capable as long as you can get through the gates lol.

Cheers Chaps. "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #542234 29th Jan 2020 9:43am
kooky_guy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

fenlander wrote:
So I was out greenlaning with the local LR club in the Norfolk Broads today in Jessica and thoughts naturally turned to giving Gloria a spin...

A suggestion was made that vinyl wrapping is the way to go to avoid scratching the s**t out of the L322 paintwork, apparently there is some super industrial grade wrap that resists even hawthorn spikes and supposedly easy enough to remove the wrap later using a heat gun.

Has anyone tried/done this wrapping approach for greenlaning I wonder?

I recall seeing something about this on the telly some years ago. Wish I'd had some on my P38. Poor thing was immaculate when I bought it but got bramble rash all over it pretty quickly. Still, you do stop worrying about it after a while.

I don't think I could get away with it on my L322 though. 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #543819 13th Feb 2020 4:32pm
DucatiBrandon

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Ipanema Sand

Off Roading is the only reason I bought mine and to just have a crude pos RR.
I hope to get her started again and on some trails. The biggest issue I found with the SC other than British engendering is the Brembos. I found a way to do 18’s but most people overseas have negative viewpoints on it. Forget 19’s. 20’s are plentiful but cost more then 18’s and don’t work as well. Also support for them here in the states lacking. Trying to find some cool bumpers and racks can be challenging. Idk maybe my biggest concern is the lack or reliability when your 400 miles from home and it decides to just not start or locks all the doors or whatever. Never the less I love her.

Post #548303 26th Mar 2020 3:37am
Norm

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Alaska White

Japseroony wrote:
stan wrote:
the L322 is more than capable for off roading Thumbs Up

I appreciate that Stan and most LR vehicles are good off road - just considering the difference in length, width and wheel options as well as potential protection may be an issue so asked the question was all Thumbs Up

I am fairly new to the FF world so trying to learn what fits and what wont is new to me and as an example with the D4 you can't go lower than 19" wheels (unless you spend a fortune on Compmotive or similar) where as on the D3 you could go down to 17" giving a huge tyre range, so trying to find out some info before I take the plunge Bow down

On a 4.2 S/C what wheel/tyre options are there and is it only Prospeed that offer under-body protection for the FF etc?

Are there suspension, bushes, arms etc that need consideration when going off road like the issues with the D3's?

Cheers.

Better check, I think PrpSpeed underbody protection only fits the TDV8's NOT 4.2/4.4 V8's.

Post #549755 9th Apr 2020 2:04am
Panoramix

Italy 

I love L322 and last december, I bought one (2007 TDV8) for developing off road products for my company (no link for forum rules respect) Very Happy

Done:
- Suspensions module
- Lift Rods

Currently under development:

- Roof Rack
- Whinch plate
- Tree Sliders
- Switch/tools panel

Next:
- Wheel carrier
- underbody protections

Post #549764 9th Apr 2020 11:42am
Guihan

United States 2007 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

nearlee wrote:
Mine works fine off road, if not better than my d3 and g4d2.

Nice vehicle...what tires do you have?

Thanks

Post #552250 1st May 2020 8:12am
nearlee

Wales 

They are 275/45/20 general grabber at3, they seem to work well off tarmac, however they are now down to 60% left and are very sketchy on wet/damp roads Remember:- amateurs built the ark
Proffesionals built the titanic

Post #552457 2nd May 2020 4:36pm
RRDunc

England 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Bloke wrote:
Not got mine stuck yet! Common sense will keep you right.

Those lanes look stunning. where are they?

Dunc. The life you have is the only one you'll get; make the most of it.
--------‐--‐-----------------‐------------------‐---------------------------------------------------
2012 4.4 TDV8 L322 Autobiography
2003 TD5 Oslo Blue D2 ES Premium Auto (with mods!)

Post #561078 11th Jul 2020 9:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>