Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Stolen...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

That’s good but some insurers have a new replacement policy. I’m with NFU and there policy is if you purchase a UK model from new and it’s less than two years old when it’s stolen or written off, they’ll replace it with a new one.

Post #549299 4th Apr 2020 12:36am
unsolicited

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Mariana Black

I'm still concerned about the method it was taken.

If the key had been cloned at the dealership the alarm would not have gone off surely, and there would have been no call from LR. The car would just disappear, and the first you would know is when you returned to it.

As the alarm went off I assume a window was broken. Was the car single or double locked? If single the doors could be opened from inside.

I'm seriously considering removing components on mine when parked...

Post #549348 4th Apr 2020 11:57am
sbradleyrr

United Kingdom 

did you leave your keys in a faraday pouch or as tin? I suspect that may well be where your answer lies

Post #549363 4th Apr 2020 3:40pm
unsolicited

He'd disabled keyless apparently.

Post #549368 4th Apr 2020 5:15pm
sbradleyrr

United Kingdom 

that doesn't disable keyless start...

Post #549380 4th Apr 2020 6:36pm
unsolicited

True. Now the question is how far were the keys from the car at the time?

Post #549381 4th Apr 2020 6:38pm
Old Skool

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

So I’ve been licking my wounds for the past few months and keeping an eye out for replacement cars. The wife was quite shaken by the theft and was adamant she didn’t want another one, considering it too flash and shouty so we spent a lot of time looking at XC90s as an alternative. We test drive almost every other available SUV suitable and realised nothing was quite like the Range Rover so are now back on the hunt and have placed a deposit on a car which looks like it might work.

We are now thinking of a P400e. The thinking being that (i) as a largely city car used for short trips it makes financial and ethical sense to move to at least partial electric power. Our larger journeys are few and far between (ii) as London residents the cheaper parking congestion charge exemption for a year is appealing (iii) it is likely to be less attractive as a hybrid to thieves and I’ve been informed you can’t simply plug these into foreign electricity systems although that makes little sense to me.

The big disadvantage is that we have off street parking so charging it will require some concerted effort and I’ve been told you really don’t want to rely solely on the 2.0 engine so will need to keep on top of that. As we only tend to average a couple of miles a day i am hoping maybe we can get away with a charge once (maybe twice) a week and generally keep it in full EV mode for our day to day driving.

Anyway for the moment a deposit has been placed on a 18MY in Byron Blue. Would love to have some feedback from any owners about the P400e and how they’ve found it to live. Likewise things they like (and usefully although not as heartwarming!) things they don’t like about the 18MY. Also any advice as to any thing I should be the dealer to do before pickup would be great. I heard the RR had said for that year they had massively improved the security for the keyless locking. Is the general advice still to disable? Also I had some fantastic advice last time about making sure my 17MY was up to date on software with the latest software version given so I could check. I assume there has been nothing major in this regard? I also see the car has 4G now which is welcome.

Will really miss the 5.0 but it’s primarily the wife’s car and this seems like a compromise I can live with. It’s primarily to waft around in admiring the ivory interior and I’m hopeful this will allow me to do that and in a strange way I think the electric waft will provide an interesting dimension to replace the inner glee I had with the burble of the V8.

Will be nice to be back in the fold. ————————————
2017 L405 5.0 S/C Autobiography

Post #568853 4th Oct 2020 8:42am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Ask some very searching questions of your dealer about the software and dual screen. As I have flagged up on here on numerous occasions, since new my car was plagued with blank screens, no camera, no navigation and the inability to use ACP etc.

The car is now perfect but it took 26 months of being in and out of the dealers to get there, so I'd hate anyone else to be so frustrated with what is otherwise a superb car although mine is not a P400E

I should add, they fitted the latest 2020 system in the end Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #568896 4th Oct 2020 4:23pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

My EV experiences are not in a Range Rover which MAY have a huge battery but I suspect that trying to run any full or partial EV on electricity without a home charging point will be all but impossible. In my experience the electric range will be nowhere near the claimed range even in a new car and after a couple of years it will be even less. I would ask what the cold weather range is likely to be, I found that I never got even 50% of the range in cold weather.
Sorry to sound so negative but I'd hate you to find out after purchase.

Post #568904 4th Oct 2020 6:14pm
unsolicited

Back to security - it's true that the new UWB keys are better from a relay standpoint.

Unfortunately there are devices advertised that can - when plugged in to the OBD port, automatically silence the alarm, unlock the doors, and start the car. No key needed. Even for the latest models (at least that is claimed).

So not safe after glass breakage.

Similar devices are available for other makes too.

Post #568906 4th Oct 2020 6:34pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

Might be worth fitting one of those Ghost systems to the car, it's a unit fitted in the car whichlinks in with the existing control; units and immobilises the car so can only be towed away. It will only start when you enter a sequence of events which only you know and program in. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #573459 19th Nov 2020 5:33pm
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

If you are getting an EV put a sticker in the back window saying the car is never charged up so only has a range of 5 miles!!

Post #573462 19th Nov 2020 5:51pm
V8 Bob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Ipanema Sand

Putting additional trackers on is fine but do you want it returned after it has been ragged or whatever. Better to fit a disk lock to the steering wheel as a visible additional deterrent and get GAP insurance so that, the argument over valuations is not an issue should the worst happen again. 2012 tdv8 Westminster arrived Jan 19 gone Dec 23

200 TDi discovery bobtail gone
RR classic v8 bobtail gone
300 tdi Discovery 3 dr gone

Post #573465 19th Nov 2020 6:25pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

This guy Automatrics just posted a new video - this time a RRS SVR.
He comments that it's a keyless theft but that 'shouldn't be possible on a 2019'

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #573490 19th Nov 2020 9:25pm
unsolicited

But of course it is, with access to the OBD port. I wonder if the hirer either forgot to lock the car or had the lock signal jammed?

Post #573549 20th Nov 2020 10:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>