Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Driver seat ECU?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
geordiefella

United Kingdom 
Driver seat ECU?

Hi all,

Sorry for the long post but please stick with it haha, i think i know the answer but looking for a bit of reassurance or a fresh idea!

My steering wheel adjustment stopped working as in it will move a bit then stop, if I try to move it again it just does the same thing. I initially thought the column was at fault but then I noticed the drivers seat does exactly the same when I try to adjust it in any direction.

After looking at rave & googling found that the driver seat ecu looks like the culprit, I have an iid tool so did a scan & found k bus failure to driver seat ecu... At this point I carried out a rescan of all ECU's (not a read code) & the driver seat ecu is now no longer listed so looks like it has completely failed.

So checked the fuses, all ok, took the ecu out yesterday, all the connections look good, did a continuity check from the bcm to driver seat ecu kbus wire, which was fine. ( looks like ecu fault)

I opened the ECU but no obvious signs of damage, so put it all back together and connected it back to the car with only the 15way connector & the seat function is still the same. ( there may be 1 relay failed but not 100% convinced & for the price of a single relay can virtually pick up a second hand ecu)

So I reckon it is the driver seat ecu, but a bit concerned by the kbus issue & wondering if it could be the bcm as that stores & controls seat function! Has anyone got any similar experience or other ideas?

Thanks for reading if you did haha.

Post #380425 2nd Apr 2016 3:01pm
kineavy

England 

I have just encountered the very same issue minutes ago. I have no drivers seat adjustment at all and the steering wheel had lost it's movement also. I have not checked anything yet but a point in the right direction would be a big help.

Post #380427 2nd Apr 2016 4:17pm
geordiefella

United Kingdom 

I would start by checking fuses 20 & 23. (30a & 7.5a)

If you have no movement it could be a blown fuse, if it has blown replace it & see if it goes again when you try to adjust your steering or seat. If it does repost.

Hope your is a simple fix

Post #380432 2nd Apr 2016 5:18pm
kineavy

England 

Fuse 20 has blown. Went to replace it and it blew straight away. Any suggestions.

Post #380435 2nd Apr 2016 5:31pm
geordiefella

United Kingdom 

Did you move either the seat or the steering wheel or did it blow without touching anything?

Post #380438 2nd Apr 2016 5:56pm
kineavy

England 

Blew as soon as blades made contact in the fuse holder. Short under seat I reckon. All because I let swmbo drive and adjust the seat.

Post #380439 2nd Apr 2016 6:01pm
geordiefella

United Kingdom 

Haha, yeh that's how mine started too!

Yeh you have a short on the main power see if there is anything obvious under the seat if not you will have to take the seat trim off, 1x torx scre and some plastic clips, really easy to get off tho.

If I can help let me know

Post #380443 2nd Apr 2016 6:19pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Geordiefella,

Have you tried a hard battery reset sir? Even if you reset everything using the IID, if the ECU is in distress (stuck) no use of any diagnostics will help the situation sir...

Thumbs Up

Post #380444 2nd Apr 2016 6:21pm
geordiefella

United Kingdom 

Hi Craig

Yeh I disconnected the battery & left it for about 1hr while I was looking inside the seat ecu but it was still the same when I reconnected. Sad

Cheers

Post #380445 2nd Apr 2016 6:33pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

But did you follow the correct procedure? Allowing the car to go to sleep first etc etc??? Even then, I’m not sure if 1hr would be long enough sir... Can you try a hard battery reset?

Post #380476 2nd Apr 2016 8:49pm
geordiefella

United Kingdom 

Ive not found any definite stuff regarding the hard reset, i take it you mean short the +ve & -ve leads together after allowing srs to discharge?

I assume the car will have gone to sleep by the time I disconnected as it was probably more than 20mins before i did it, so could that be the issue I should have done it before it was asleep?

Rave states:

Battery Disconnecting
It is imperative that the key is removed from the ignition switch before disconnecting the
battery. A time of 2 minutes must also elapse (after the ignition has been switched off) before
the battery should be disconnected. Failure to do so could result in:
- Navigation computer software damage
- Incorrect fuel gauge reading.
Before disconnecting the battery, disable the alarm system and switch off all electrical
equipment. If the radio is to be serviced, ensure the security code has been deactivated.
CAUTION: Never disconnect the battery with the ignition switched on.
CAUTION: To prevent damage to the navigation computer software, a waiting period
of two minutes must elapse after the ignition is switched off before the battery leads
are disconnected.
CAUTION: To prevent damage to electrical components, always disconnect the
battery when working on the vehicle's electrical system. The earth lead must be
disconnected first and reconnected last.
CAUTION: Always ensure that battery leads are routed correctly and are not close to
any potential chafing points.
After reconnecting the battery, the steering wheel must be turned to full LH and RH lock (with
the engine running). This allows the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system to relearn the
steering wheel position. Failure to do so will result in a variety of instrument pack warning
lamps being illuminated.

I would have thought 1 hr more than enough for the electrics to discharge in the ecu's tho Confused

Post #380507 3rd Apr 2016 10:35am
ballast

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Hi - you don't say what MY your vehicle is. I've got an 07 which had steering wheel adjustment issues. Whizzing the seat out is fairly easy and once removed from the car, you get good access to all the electronics, etc. that are likely to be causing the issue. Incredibly the connector had pulled out for my steering wheel caused by (I suspect) incorrect fitting when the seat was previously removed. If you've got a decent mulitmeter and RAVE circuit diagrams to hand, fault finding isn't too bad. On an 07-09 MY, the common point is the seat control ECU which is mounted alongside the offside runner on the drivers seat. Regards, Chris

Post #380847 5th Apr 2016 1:52pm
RR P38

Australia 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Did either of you find the fault?

Post #560346 6th Jul 2020 2:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1