Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Oil in intake system causing catastrophic engine failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I think Rambles has said what many of us have been thinking. As soon as it became clear this TSB was the turbo drain I must admit thinking your indy has been touting for a job.

Crystal you've been quiet for a few days you still there?

Let us know more, have you bought the car recently? Who's the indy?

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #477248 1st May 2018 6:29am
zarnd

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

I still want to know who all the silenced people are Rolling with laughter Alex

2018 Skoda Kodiaq vRS
2009 Caterham Supersport Race car
2007 M5 Touring
2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG

Post #477251 1st May 2018 7:33am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I’ve had 16 Range Rovers, several being the 4.4 TDV8, no engine issues whatsoever with the 4.4 TDV8, and not aware of any engine failures of others due to over running on its own oil.

As far as Land Rover silencing customers and mechanics - I am afraid that’s a load of bull. We Have had several engine failures in Defender and also failures in Range Rovers with the TDV6 and other LR engines - and not once have LR tried to silence us. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #477259 1st May 2018 8:42am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Crystal never came back on this one....

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #490337 29th Sep 2018 5:09pm
AngelsBoy

Czech Republic 

Click image to enlarge

GraemeS wrote:
The modified turbo drain is to prevent oil accumulation in the secondary turbo's inlet tract that was accumulating due to seeping through the turbo's seals from the original drain that required the engine to be running to drain via a scavenger pump, yet oil pressure persisted for a while after the engine stopped.

Hi Graemes,

it seems that k leaks in the secondary turbo precisely because of what you write?

Can it have a very negative result in the final?

Or should I replace the drain pipe?

now I've wiped it and I'll see if it leaks again ... I suspect there's also oil from letting go of the Turbine shut-off valve (on the secondary turbo-there's now a new-this valve).

I have L405 2013 but VIN 103753 and I read here that it is a pain for my model too ?!

Post #563203 31st Jul 2020 10:51am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

With regards to the turbo drain mod, IMHO it is entirely possible to get to diesel runaway IF your engine is affected by oil in the secondary turbo. When the 2nd turbo hasnt been used for a while the oil builds up, gets dumped into the intercooler and some of it get burned. At some point when the intercooler has sufficient oil in it and just enough airflow to carry it to the cylinders away it will go. There will be a massive increase in airflow followed by plenty of oil for fuel.

IIRC a 4.4 on here did suffer diesel runaway but that was due to a failed turbo but it could be stopped as per usual with diesels in this state. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #563220 31st Jul 2020 1:19pm
AngelsBoy

Czech Republic 

It is being discussed here that the car smokes, but it is far scary for me that it can go into the engine ?! Because I checked the MAP sensor at the top of the intake and it was from oil and at the same time I shone it into the intake and there is oil ...

How do I find out where and if the oil goes into the intake?

I'm a little worried ...

Post #563221 31st Jul 2020 1:33pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Oil leaking externally from the secondary turbo might or might not be an indication of oil pooling whereas thick smoke from the exhaust on heavy throttle after sustained light throttle use is the indication that oil has accumulated. If the smoke is occurring then either change driving habits to regularly cause the secondary turbo to be used to prevent significant oil accumulation or have the modified drain fitted.
Oil at the MAP sensor isn't a reliable guide to determine if oil is accumulating in the secondary turbo as the engine breather air with oil vapour goes into the inlet tract before the MAP sensor.

To protect from engine runaway I've fitted a device that closes the EGR butterfly for a 15 seconds when the engine is switched off to ensure that the engine has insufficient air. Oil in the I/C would soon be exhausted and the secondary turbo is by default isolated so only a failed primary turbo could cause a runaway with this engine. The engine would eventually be deprived of oil once the sump was emptied causing gross damage. Removing or cutting the top I/C hose would interrupt the oil supply but I wouldn't like being so close to an over-revving engine due to the high risk of flying parts.

It appears that the 3.6 TDV8 may cater for engine runaway whereupon it closes the butterflies as a PCM fault code exists with the description of having shut-down the engine due to uncontrolled revving.

Post #563264 31st Jul 2020 10:13pm
AngelsBoy

Czech Republic 

Yes I read about your secure EGR device Smile

I've never noticed any smoke, so maybe I regularly activate the secondary turbo. Or the oil goes to my cooler Smile

And what should I do to find out where my intake oil is accumulating from? Can you advise me please? Maybe it's not happening anymore, I had a problem with the turbos and I drove with it. I looked at MAP yesterday and it was only from soot ... but it's probably too early to draw any conclusions.

It is true that it may be from the primary turbo, which they have changed twice as much for my warranty over the last year (once it was allegedly completely stuck. And secondly, the regulation did not work properly).

But with the fact that I always drove about 1000km, when I restarted the occasional emergency mode. And in my opinion, the cause of the failures of the primary turbo was a malfunction of the regulation of the secondary turbo, as I drove the car (The cause of the primary turbo failure was a malfunction of the secondary) ... L405 2013 Vogue 4.4 SDV8 339.000km/211.000miles Smile

Post #563273 1st Aug 2020 7:47am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I gotta say I'm with Rambles on this, there are lots of posts on this forum that make me a bit paranoid about what could go wrong. I change down on the motorway regularly expecting to see clouds of smoke in my mirrors, nothing, so I just keep on trucking and mines a 2013, so one of the first.

UPDATE :As usual I am panicking unnecessarily this seems to be TDV8 not SDV8, I need to read things properly before I panic. Geoff

Post #563305 1st Aug 2020 4:48pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Rolling with laughter That’s ok then.....

How much of a different turbo setup has the SDV8?

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #563307 1st Aug 2020 4:56pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Does the SDV8 not have the modified drain factory fitted? There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #563310 1st Aug 2020 5:18pm
AngelsBoy

Czech Republic 

unfortunately they allegedly do not have the first models (L405). And I'm also quite stressed after a week of reading here on the forum Laughing L405 2013 Vogue 4.4 SDV8 339.000km/211.000miles Smile

Post #563311 1st Aug 2020 6:17pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

The factory-fitted dual drain was introduced somewhere in the MY14 model run. The factory-fitted drain is slightly different to the retro-fitted drain in its sump attachment and the pipes themselves.

Post #563318 1st Aug 2020 8:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12