Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > DIY 3 button key transponder programming and sync - cheap !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BMG

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
DIY 3 button key transponder programming and sync - cheap !

My RR came with just the one key, and despite only needing the one, it's always good to have spares for an emergency, but then they are expensive from a dealer ( I believe £200 ish each ), and that's too much.

There is also the issue that somewhere out there is at least one working key to my car, and possibly more. So not great from a security point of view, but also something we can remedy.

It's well know the early L322 key system and security is direct carryover stuff from the equivalent year BMW. So in this case the BMW EWS 3 system is used, same as BMW E46 and similar year cars, so there is a wealth if info on the web for this.

I'd seen a guy on YouTube making his own keys using a simple tool from eBay for around £20 and fancied giving it a go myself
Cheap keys can be had from eBay, AliExpress, etc in the same style, or others with a flip key function. Transponder chips are... cheap as chips , but easier to pick a key with a transponder already in - some come with, some without. I paid $17 for a copy of the original key and the same again for a flip blade key, both with transponders.
Cutting a blade was £10 at my local key cutting shop.

Speaking of keys, they come in a couple of different types depending on the where the car was sold. UK cars need a 433mhz key. The other option when buying a key is 315mhz, which I think is US market cars and others.
The key blade can vary if buying a flip blade key, we need a key with a HU92 blade.

So to work...

I opened the original key on my 2002 FF and found the transponder with the number PCF7930AS. Most of the copy replacement keys seem to come with PCF7935AA transponders, and these worked fine for me.

So with a replacement key and transponder already fitted, we can now get down to programming these. This will involve purchasing a key programmer and removing the EWS box from the car to read the relevant info from.

WARNING ! Screwing up you EWS will have serious ramifications ! Break this and your car won't be starting and possibly means spending thousands.

I purchased the AK90+ key programmer off eBay for £20.95 from this vendor - missed the ' buy it now ' and just purchased it - doh ! Anyway, it took just over a week to arrive from the land of China .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163642962811

I bought a couple of keys with transponders too, one a cheap copy of the original key, plus a flip blade key.

The copy of the original key is cheap and cheerful looking.

Back opened up.

Transponder chip in the corner.

The flip blade key is much bigger and about 3 times the weight ! Comes with a BMW logo for the other side. I purchased a 14mm badge off eBay to fit.

Opened up with the transponder in place, actually glued to the board.

All three keys.

Here's the key programmer , 3 keys , EWS box and some spare transponders I purchased.

You'll need to remove parts of the center console to get to the EWS box.
Use these guides to show you how.

&

The last vid misses out mentioning removing two screws on the side. This requires pulling aside the wooden side trims to get at .
The other two at the top ar hidden quite well too.

Once you have done that, you can pull the console back and upwards to get to the EWS box on the right side. Unplug this and remove the 8mm bolts securing it.

The programming part has been documented on YouTube a whole bunch of times and in more detail than I can type here, so I'll add the links to how I did it.

To add the software.

Key programming in detail.

Another good guide.

One more

Watch each one as they contain hints and tips.

Random things to mention.

The silver paint on the dash panels above the center console is very delicate - careful when removing the console.

Reading the EWS chips required pushing the reader down quite hard. Without doing this all I got was ' pin no touch' .

When looking at the EWS data, I saw there has been 4 keys assigned to the car. The original key I have was number two.
Not sure how many were assigned from new, but from the BMW vids, it seems 3 is normal for BMW.
The programmer gives you the option of switching off the other keys and writing this back to the EWS. I've turned off keys 1,3 and 4 and will sleep a little better.
That won't stop anyone manually opening the car, but the transponder shouldn't allow it to start. Least, that's my understanding.

Save a copy of the EWS data as a bin file. You won't need to remove the box to program any more keys.

Some keys use a much smaller board inside the key allowing the transponder to move about. The ignition lock can be sensitive to this, so make sure it's secure in the spot as per the factory key.

When syncing a second key, this needs to be done immediately after doing the first. I tried without doing this and no go after 20 times. Worked first time after syncing the original and immediately doing the new key. See 21.35 in here.
&t=538s

Anyway, using the vids linked above, I was able to make 2 new keys quite easily.

Time and costs.

10 mins to remove the console.
5 mins for software install
5 -10 mins to read EWS and program key, turn off others and write.

AK90+ Programmer £21
Key ( Each ) around £15 with transponder.
Key blade cut £10 each
LR badge £2

Please remember, damaging the EWS can be very expensive to rectify.
I'm no key expert, everything above is from watching the linked videos and carrying this out today. This isn't a ' how to guide' from expert knowledge, more ' how I did it'.

Cheers

Last edited by BMG on 10th Jun 2019 5:38pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #517970 10th Jun 2019 4:19pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Excellent write up Thumbs Up should put this post in the wiki Thumbs Up Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #517971 10th Jun 2019 4:31pm
Zebedee

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

Very impressive..... Well done. Current:
- 2013 L405 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
Sold:
- 2004 L322 4.4 Vogue (BRC LPG)
- 2002 L322 4.4 HSE (having fixed timing chain guides)
- 2000 P38 4.6 Vogue (BRC LPG)
- 1981 2-door In-Vogue
- 1980 Ex-Army SIII LWB
- 1976 SIII LWB
- 1968 SIIA
Stripped for parts:
- 2003 L322 4.4 Vogue

Post #518087 11th Jun 2019 6:30pm
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

thank you BMG - good to know, as I am on the lookout for 2 new flip keys

Last edited by pcourtney on 10th Aug 2020 9:01am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #564028 9th Aug 2020 1:04pm
BMG

I wasn't aware at the time, but this guide seems to be for only the early BMW era cars, despite later cars still using the same 3 button key. This wont work on later cars.

Post #564065 9th Aug 2020 8:29pm
pcourtney

mine is 2004 BMW engine - I thought it was post 2005 cars that were regarded as more of a JLR source for components

Post #564089 10th Aug 2020 9:03am
BMG

Yep, should be fine. Get the kit mentioned and some chips of eBay and it's all pretty simple to do.

Post #564205 11th Aug 2020 12:52pm
pcourtney

the youtube video "To add the software" is no longer working, what is the link please

Post #638276 30th Jul 2022 6:03pm
BMG

Look on YouTube, several vids on there on the software install.

Post #638281 30th Jul 2022 6:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1