Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Repairing dent on corner of rear upper quarter panel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Woofster

Canada 
Repairing dent on corner of rear upper quarter panel

Hi all. So I just discovered my 1st ever noticeable dent on one of my vehicles. Not sure where or how it happened but it's located just above the rear LH tail light Assembly, below the D pillar, to the left of the upper tailgate.

I removed the rear interior panels on the left side, unfastened the Sat Nav DVD assembly from the frame, then pulled away some insulation only to discover that there's no direct access to that corner of the vehicle to pop that dent back out.

I did get my hand in there with a straight metal bar in hopes of pushing the dent out but I just couldn't seem to get the right angle to do so within the confines space.

Does anyone know of another way to pop this dent back out? Is there another access point that I should try? 2010 RR SC
2007 RR SC

Post #571536 2nd Nov 2020 3:14am
Woofster

Canada 

Sorry, I forgot to attach a photo of the dent in question.

2010 RR SC
2007 RR SC

Post #571537 2nd Nov 2020 3:16am
Strider

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Ouch,
The picture seems to show a straight line crease at the bottom of the dent, they are usually very difficult to pull out.
The problem you have is that metal has already been stretched and stressed to produce the corner curve in the body so is locally much stronger than a flat panel.

Hand held sucker pads wouldnt work as you couldnt get a seal. If you can get behind to knock most of it out,
then its time for filler and lots of sanding. Some vehicle restorers over here use melted lead as a filler,
Ive seen it used in a programme called "Wheeler Dealers" with very good results. The benefits, are it has very similar
expansiion rates as steel and you dont get a separation border crack around the area later on after painting.

I found this video that was made at a Montreal fair 5 years ago.

Good Luck

Post #571553 2nd Nov 2020 10:39am
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

It appears that the paint hasn't cracked, therefore I would search locally for a paint-less dent removal technician. They will advise if they can do it, or it needs a body shop repair.

We have many companies over here & I'm sure you have the same, You'll be surprised what & where they can get to.

Once you crack the paintwork if you have a go at it yourself, then you will need to paint the area again. Thumbs Up

Post #571567 2nd Nov 2020 12:29pm
oggy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

that area is very strong point even if you get most of the dent out with a puller it will need prep work and spraying i would
get a price from body shop

Post #571571 2nd Nov 2020 12:32pm
Woofster

Canada 

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

That area of the vehicle is indeed a slightly curved surface and, as noted, much more rigid than a flat body panel. I have a suction-style dent puller but, as expected, the area simply isn't flat enough to get a good seal and suction.

Since I can't seem to get sufficient access from the inside, I did think about just filling, sanding and painting that area. I've painted other body panels on these RRs before and there are a couple other panels that I plan on re-painting in the future so I may add this on the "one day to do list"! The downside is that I'd have to do the whole upper portion of the rear quarter panel if I go this route.

The other very feasible option, of course, is that I just live with it, which may be the outcome in this case! 2010 RR SC
2007 RR SC

Last edited by Woofster on 2nd Nov 2020 2:29pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #571582 2nd Nov 2020 2:23pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

The usual way to remove dents which can't be accessed from the rear is to glue tabs to the dent area using a glue gun and then pull the dent out gradually. If successful you obviously simply heat the glue again to remove it. If you do decide to have a go you will need to get the surface of the dent chemically clean. I think you might find some videos on YouTube showing the technique.

Post #571583 2nd Nov 2020 2:29pm
Woofster

Canada 

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations again, everyone.

Another thought I had and wanted to inquire as to whether anyone's ever done it before...is trying to access that area from below, by removing the tail light assembly, then cutting a small opening just large enough to slide in from below and hammer that dent back out.

Maybe I'm overthinking all of this! Confused 2010 RR SC
2007 RR SC

Post #571594 2nd Nov 2020 3:48pm
Snowy90 L322

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Giverny Green

I have seen this on Insta, no idea if it works, your dent maybe a bit tough, but gotta be worth a go?

If nothing else its a funny video!

Post #571595 2nd Nov 2020 3:59pm
Woofster

Canada 

^ LOL!

Well, I can tell you, after fiddling around back there inside the boot (or trunk, as they call it here in North America) with the interior panels removed and my hand awkwardly wedged inside the small available space, trying to blindly push/pry the dent out with no success, that was satisfying to watch. 2010 RR SC
2007 RR SC

Post #571600 2nd Nov 2020 4:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1