Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > First breakdown !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tj196443

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
First breakdown !

Well it's finally happened, the Range Rover that has been faultless for just over two years has finally broke down and ended up on a flatbed. In fact it ended up on 2 within the space of ten minutes !

Was recovered off the A1 roadworks by the Highways agency approximately two tenth of a mile to a macdonalds car park where the RAC flat bed was already waiting for me ! Five minutes later it's taken away by the Rac for overnight storage and was dropped off at my local garage this morning. Fortunately all this happened about. Two minute walk from my home so could have been worse.

I was about to stop at a roundabout when the car seemed to shudder before stopping, actually thought the car behind me had hit me. Tried to start and she tried to turn over but wouldn't start. I noticed a few times it would start for a couple of seconds and then just die again. Strange thing was when trying to start it if I took my finger off the start button but kept the brake pedal depressed it would continue to try and start, as we know when you stop pressing the start button it shouldn't try and continuously turn over. The garage haven't looked at it yet but the guy that owns it is a Range Rover fan and has rebuilt and owned a few, not expecting it to be cheap but recently the fuel gauge was playing up and I'm wondering did it run out of fuel !

Post #572536 11th Nov 2020 8:13pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I’m not sure, but I think the engine will shut down if it thinks there is no fuel. Even if there is some in. A long shot I know...... Or you may be lucky... As you say, just ran out of fuel.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #572537 11th Nov 2020 8:39pm
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

TJ

With your comment of erratic fuel readings it may be that the fuel sender connections in the tank are failing. There a lot of threads on here about this, and there was a technical bulletin from JLR about it. It gives your symptons of erratic tank readings and the car shuts down as it thinks it is out of fuel. About an hour or two of work to fix, and yes, I've done it. May be a good first look.

Have a search on here, and let your garage know of the possible cause. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #572547 11th Nov 2020 10:14pm
tj196443

Thanks RJFF, I'm expecting the garage to contact me today with an update, the garage owner is an enthusiast who has owned a few and built a few too.

I did mention to them about the possibility of running out of fuel, a few weeks ago the gauge was on quarter and seemed to stay there for a few days even though I had done about 60 miles in that time.

Fingers crossed its not too serious Smile

Post #572561 12th Nov 2020 7:56am
rjff

TJ

If your garage is in there, get them to have look at the fuel pump securing bridge. Mine parted company with the pump housing and fell over, giving the incorrect fuel readings. You can see the repair I made towards the end of this thread.

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic46574...p;start=30

TSB here

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10102562-9340.pdf

Good luck. Thumbs Up Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
Gap IIDBT

Post #572583 12th Nov 2020 1:07pm
tj196443

Hi all, my suspicions were confirmed today I had indeed ran out of fuel ! It looked like the tank had at least a range of 60 miles when it broke down and the fuel low warning light did not work on this occasion. Only spoke to the receptionist who said the car was now running normally and that the owner of the garage confirmed it had ran out of fuel. Said the bill was £90 which included £20 worth of diesel so not sure what they've done. The car was booked in at the same garage for next week so they will do that work tomorrow instead and I should have a clearer picture when I pick it up tomorrow, the car passed its MOT a Few weeks ago but had drive shafts and bushes on the advisories so that will be done tomorrow.

First breakdown in two years is really my fault so the car is still in the good books Smile thanks for all the help and thanks to rjff for the info mate.

Post #572618 12th Nov 2020 8:14pm
rjff

Yayyyy Very Happy

Good result and not too pricey for you. Thanks for letting us all know.

Give geordieland my regards, born, raised, left but still a place in the heart Thumbs Up Cheers
Richard

Gap IIDBT

Post #572619 12th Nov 2020 8:26pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

tj196443 wrote:
Hi all, my suspicions were confirmed today I had indeed ran out of fuel ! It looked like the tank had at least a range of 60 miles when it broke down and the fuel low warning light did not work on this occasion. Only spoke to the receptionist who said the car was now running normally and that the owner of the garage confirmed it had ran out of fuel. Said the bill was £90 which included £20 worth of diesel so not sure what they've done. The car was booked in at the same garage for next week so they will do that work tomorrow instead and I should have a clearer picture when I pick it up tomorrow, the car passed its MOT a Few weeks ago but had drive shafts and bushes on the advisories so that will be done tomorrow.

First breakdown in two years is really my fault so the car is still in the good books Smile thanks for all the help and thanks to rjff for the info mate.

I bet the difference was diagnostics, and bleeding/priming an empty fuel system...

Post #572638 13th Nov 2020 7:45am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

this was my fear while my tank was not reading correctly so was just using half a tank of fuel all the time whe the fuel light came on had to fill up! all fixed now thank god. Glad to hear that is the only problem 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #572639 13th Nov 2020 8:03am
tj196443

I agree, diagnostics there usually about £44 so seems about right it came to £90 which I can live with. Will probably attempt the sender repair myself when work permits as certainly looks doable.

Post #572686 13th Nov 2020 3:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1