Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Fuel Burning Heater Retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue
Fuel Burning Heater Retrofit

The last 2006.5 Supercharged L322 I had came with the additional remote controls for the park heater. From what I gather it’s quite unusual on a Petrol.

The 2007 Supercharged I’ve just bought doesn’t have the park heater fitted and as a result doesn’t have the extra remotes.

With the weather like it is at the moment, the idea of walking out to a car that’s defrosted is quite appealing and with lockdown, etc it’s not like there’s a lot else to do at the moment so I was wondering if anyone has retrofitted the fuel burning heater?

Thanks,
David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #578194 2nd Jan 2021 11:35pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Hmm, wonder how big a job that would be??

It really depends if any of the plumbing is in place, like the changeover valve. Might be worth checking it isn’t actually there and they’ve just lost the remotes!

Also there is the fuel feeds.... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #578197 3rd Jan 2021 12:00am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I did wonder about that.

I got a copy of the build sheet from Rob at Duckworths and there’s no mention of the park heater on this one unfortunately.

I’m going to have a look in the boot and see if the plug for the ECU is there. Like you say, I’m curious if the changeover valve and wiring loom for the heater is in place or not.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #578198 3rd Jan 2021 12:03am
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Iv been thinking of a fbh retrofit to my 4.4 v8 petrol lpg, simple fbh none w-bus on a simple on/off remote. My understanding from research on here is the fbh runs on derv or petrol. I was thinking simple derv feed from a small supply tucked away somewhere fed via the pulse pump they require.
So far it seems even an old fbh from a mk1 freelander ain't cheap.

I fitted a remote to our D3 recently so that's always nice n warm when we get in it suppose I will just have to settle for my heated seats n steering wheel for now.

Another lock down project me thinks.

Post #578205 3rd Jan 2021 12:22am
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I must admit, this did cross my mind when I've been faffing around with mine. Although no FBH valve or screen display it does have the wiring for it.
Like Gsxr1250dave, mine is the petrol V8. If the electrics are there, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem fitting a new unit. Whistle

Post #578215 3rd Jan 2021 11:26am
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Well there are a few of us interested in this so as were heading for another lockdown I think I will make a start I'm shut down any ways cant go to work under the current tier system any ways

I think it's important to make this as simple as possible if its gonna be a retrofit so things iv found out at the moment.

1. Webasto thermotop c fbh. Looks like this unit will work as a stand alone unit as people use them in everything from garage heating to boats.
2. Iv found new fuel pumps cheap on the bay they are feed from the fbh as they need to pulse the fuel to feed the fbh.
3. Iv got a couple of spare remote switching units here from when I did the w-bus remote over ride for our D3 so gonna use that to operate it.
4. I dont see a need for a switching valve I think just Teeing off the main coolant pipes like my lpg install will work well enuff, mite even use the current heating circulation pump to aid warming but not sure its needed with the fbh will have it's own pump.

Keeping it simple just a remote control on/off

Post #578225 3rd Jan 2021 12:16pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Iv been messaging a breaker on the bay and explained what I'm after doing, he has an l322 v8 him self and loves the cars soooo.....he is going to remove the complete fbh, fittings n hoses for me from a td6 and ship them down to me to have a play with.

He had a v8 L322 in for breaking last year that had a fbh from factory on it, wishes he kept it now iv tolled him how rare they are.

Any ho iv got a fuel pump on order, a small bottle to mount in the engine bay somewhere for the derv I dont intend on connecting it to the petrol tank as per factory. Iv got a remote to allow me to switch the fbh on and off plus a small timer circuit so I can select how long it runs in case I forget to turn it off.

Just have to wait for everything to arrive so it can have a play, gonna see what plugs I have on my car ie power feeds for fbh n such but most likley will make my own up so it is truly a stand alone unit except a permanent connection to the battery.

Time for some more research Shocked

Post #578445 4th Jan 2021 8:50pm
Highroller

Sounds like a good idea.

Also like the idea of obtaining a unit from a breaker Thumbs Up

Do you have or know anyone who has any photos showing the petrol set up, as I would like to fit a petrol fired one, as standard if I could.

Post #578449 4th Jan 2021 9:11pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

No sorry I dont know any one with a petrol set up but iv read somewhere in my research all about it think it mite have been an old post on here let me see if I can dig it out.
You would also require the fbh activation modual plugged in at the rear fuse box if trying for a factory type install.

Post #578451 4th Jan 2021 9:16pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Best description iv found so far about the fbh

https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/pre-heater.19520/

Post #578453 4th Jan 2021 9:31pm
Highroller

Interesting, I can see why you're going the diesel route.

Would like to have the option of the remote fob, but not a real issue if able to set a pre-heat time.

Same as you, more research needed. Bow down

Post #578463 4th Jan 2021 10:16pm
Rewmer

England 

You will find all the electrics are already in place including the aux heater fuel pump. You should have the dip tube as well unless the main tank pump has been changed for a after market unit as these don’t always have these fitted. On the plumbing side, you will need a change over valve, arious hoses and bulkhead fitting, the heater itself and carrier and the remote receiver and fob. No7 - 2003 V8 Vogue

Post #579006 8th Jan 2021 9:23pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Thanks i will have a look at this to see ifs it's in place, I agree the electrics mite be but unsure I will find a pump. The change over valve I'm aware of but it wasnt my intention to fit one. Iv got lpg connected and I'm planning on rerouting one of these hoses into and out of the fbh.
The fbh will heat up the heater matrix and engine at the same time......that's my hope anyways
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #579008 8th Jan 2021 9:31pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Just had a play with the on board aux fbh control iv never paid much attention to it but I set it for 5 mins ahead to come on and go off 20 mins later, well it all works Thumbs Up just need a fbh now Laughing

Post #579012 8th Jan 2021 10:11pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

My 2004 Autobiography Petrol V8 has a petrol FBH. happy to let someone have a look if they are near Bristol way!

cant help on the technical side tho. If you get a DERV FBH then you are surely looking at another fuel tank etc. so maybe get a petrol one if you can?

PS I am sure there was a thread on here a few years ago ..... Anyone done a search for 4.4 V8 FBH?

Post #579021 8th Jan 2021 11:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>