Home > Orders (L405) > New RR 2021
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

zion wrote:
One important detail on the L460:
Based on what has leaked so far, LR will switch to the same kind of AWD setup that Volvo has on their plug-in hybrids, meaning battery powers electric rear axle and combustion engine powers front wheels. Prior to the RR, we had an XC90 T8 and while that setup typically works well, it is definitely less refined than the proper AWD system in our RR and in a couple of circumstances you feel the limitations of that system :

- While driving in pure electric mode the XC90 is rear wheel driven, which is definitely noticeable when it is slippery outside (snow/ice). If you live in Florida, no worries.
    - While driving at higher speeds (e.g. 90-120mph on the Autobahn) you can definitely tell that the car is FWD, with clearly lower high speed stability than a true AWD SUV. The actual limit of the car is very high, but not exactly confidence inspring especially on twistier sections of the autobahn, e.g. the rolling hills near Kassel.

Benefits of this kind of architecture are better electric milage, more efficient re-gen and potentially larger battery capacity as the tunnel normally used for the prop shaft can instead be used for more batteries.

Surely this can't be true for the new FFRR....... Shocked Shocked Shocked 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #585171 25th Feb 2021 11:23am
Martin2

England 

Philip wrote:
Autobiography wrote:
The executive seats are so chunky and the legroom is ultimately very poor on the SWB model

On the basis that I’m not a chauffeur and nor do I employ one, the standard rear seats are surely the pick. They’re good enough for the Queen, after all.

I thought that and expected the middle seat to be more comfortable on the standard rear seats, as the main reason for getting a RR was the need to carry 2 x tall teenage boys and a baby seat across the back seat. I was delighted to discover that I preferred the middle seat in the exec rear seats, as I could get an AB (I know there are a few around with the std seats). The smaller boot isn't a huge issue, but it would be either the hybrid as both together would be a step too far for us. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #585173 25th Feb 2021 11:29am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

zion wrote:
Based on what has leaked so far, LR will switch to the same kind of AWD setup that Volvo has on their plug-in hybrids, meaning battery powers electric rear axle and combustion engine powers front wheels.

LR already do this with the PHEV Evoque, but that has a traverse engine. It makes no sense to do it with a longitudinal engine. It would make more sense to power the front wheels electrically rather than the rears.

Where have you seen leaks that this is so? I've not seen any of that.

Post #585182 25th Feb 2021 12:22pm
zion

United States 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Fuji White

Yes, you are right. For a longitudinal setup you would do it the other way around (The XC90 has a traverse setup just like the Evoque).

I read about the single e-motor setup for the phev in an Autocar article from early 2019.

Newer articles consistently mention two e-motors - both front and rear - which would alleviate at least the traction problem in pure electric, but also reduce electric range and negatively impact certified MPG/CO2 levels.

What is still unclear in most of the recent articles is whether the dual motor setup applies to the BEV version and to the PHEV version or just the BEV. The most recent power numbers quoted by autocar for the PHEV seem to imply just one motor (140hp from electric drive). Two 70hp electric motors would be quite a lot below what is the market standard today. The XC90s single e motor produces 100hp and that is a 5 year old design. _________________
2020 RR AB P400e

Post #585228 25th Feb 2021 3:34pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

The P400e does have an admittedly childish card up its sleeve: I can smoke almost anything to 29 mph 😂 Actually it’s pretty gutsy 70 to 90+. I suggest people test drive it before judging. Unless you need to run in poverty mode due to high mileage, ithe P400e is so utterly better than diesel it’s a no-brainier. And I am open to drag races in the south east.

For the record at 5500 miles my trip computer says 28 mpg average or something. If I remember my 2011 RRS 3.0 diesel was less. But it did weigh 250 kg more and had 2 less gears, etc etc.

I think the exec seats are for 2 in the back in the best comfort, and the 3rd only when necessary; but to go bench? If seeking an AB 2018+ I would strongly recommend the standard (or better) seating package unless you are a farmer or a family of 5. In which case do not buy a fatty in the first place, it’s not for you. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #585496 27th Feb 2021 1:46am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

iLard I'm game. Let's bring it on and do that race. Thumbs Up

Let's make it fun and drive for the v5... Twisted Evil

Post #585497 27th Feb 2021 5:50am
Martin2

England 

I disagree. We’re a family of 5, 2 x 6ft teenage boy’s and a 12 month old (with a bulky car seat) and the best Range Rover for comfortably getting us all in is the AB with exec rear seats. The standard seats do look much better for the 5th passenger, but the middle seat isn’t as comfortable.

Almost anything! Laughing It’s easy to smoke people at the lights if they’re not trying....what’s the 0-60 on the P400, I thought it was close to the SDV8, so over 6 seconds? If it’s quicker than most cars from 0-30, it must be slow 30-60! I wouldnt be worried at the TLGP if I was in my wife’s Golf!Wink MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid

Post #585501 27th Feb 2021 7:41am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Exactly. It really isn’t a fast car. I could take it in a 32 year old Golf 🤣 as well.

As the saying goes; the fastest cars are hire cars or those on a new plate Wink

Post #585504 27th Feb 2021 7:56am
Martin2

England 

My wife’s Golf is a 2018 R with DSG, so a couple of seconds quicker than a P400e tp 60mph..... Just looked at my brochure, it’s 6.4 vs 6.8 in the SDV8 and having driven one, I know the P400e has a better initial step off, so once rolling there probably isn’t anything in it. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid

Post #585505 27th Feb 2021 8:04am
Boatmechanic

Sweden 

ilard wrote:
If you’re higher mileage a diesel is a no brainier I think, bigger the better.

As I have said on other threads, a was not interested in a a diesel.

Are there any indications that the L460 will even be offered with a Diesel engine?

Post #585536 27th Feb 2021 1:38pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Yes, in UK it will have the D300 and D350 engines. All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #585553 27th Feb 2021 3:47pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Two points to clarify:
When I said ‘smoke anything to 29 mph’ I actually meant ‘any Transit van’ Rolling with laughter
But seriously, to 28 mph the P400e will smoke anything. Shocked
I would enjoy testing a P400e next to all the V8s, but I am neither brave nor rich enough to play for V5s, unfortunately! I see it more as a science experiment and your bragging rights.

By standard seats, I meant standard 2018+ AB seats, which means the exec seating package. I think it’s mad to delete this for a bench seat now they can fold etc. The option of rear massage has been a waste so far, but, the pillows are very nice, at least. I do fantasise about being driven around one day in which case the massage function may turn out to have been an excellent use of £2500 or so Whistle L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #585595 27th Feb 2021 9:04pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Ordered a new VSE today in Carpathian with D300 engine (was going to have D350 but reviews reckon the D300 is adequate unless towing). Added to spec, HUD, Pixel lights, Mats, Mudflaps, Dashcam. Delivery end April/May. Good price too. Thumbs Up

Was going to wait for new model, but sold my BRG 2018 last week privately and with the problems I had with software when I bought it, thought I'm not going to buy a new version until any problems have been ironed out. Whistle All LR cars from 1984

Last edited by Chalky on 29th Mar 2021 5:26pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #585822 1st Mar 2021 3:28pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Have you driven the D300. My stealer is coming back with a figure today, what discount did you get. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #586336 5th Mar 2021 6:22am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Sent you a pm Dixy All LR cars from 1984

Post #586387 5th Mar 2021 2:33pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>