Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Which Tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue
Which Tyres?

Our 2012 4.4 Autobiography ticked over 23k miles when I took it out for a run yesterday. I noticed that the road noise has increased from the last time we used the car prior to any salt being on the roads so have decided it's time for a change...

Also, despite the original tyres still have around 4.5mm of tread left on them, they are Continentals so they're starting to look a bit feathered on the outside edges. I doubt many other L322's made it 9 years on their original tyres either Laughing Amazingly, as she lives indoors all year round, there's not even any cracks on the tyres at 9 years old.

For the replacements I'm only interested in the premium brands so no budget tyres.

The short list so far is:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV
Pirelli Scorpion Zero

The Pirelli Scorpion Zero's were factory fit tyres on the L322 at one point and are currently £175 from BlackCircles. The Michelins are £216 so there's not a massive amount in it.

The wet weather rating on the Michelins is slightly better then the Pirelli's but this car doesn't see bad weather and only comes out of the garage in good weather so that's not really here nor there either.

Are there any others that are worth considering?

Thanks,
David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #589676 31st Mar 2021 1:23pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them...I like Michelin and Pirelli generally...But then again Goodyear Eagle F1 is also a fantastic good weather tyre with an even better rating than the other two. Continental in my experience (but on Mercedes SUVs only) is great when the tyre is good and new, but gets harsh and really bad when used a bit.

I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them. And in that case I'd probably go with the Pirelli's....

Post #589679 31st Mar 2021 1:44pm
rainking

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I've just fitted a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons to my Supercharged.

They were £710 from National Tyre online, and were fitted on my driveway.

Difficult to compare them to anything really, as the garage that I bought mine from had fitted a pair of budgets to the front Shocked Censored they're certainly better than those! but they seem quiet and refined...

In terms of grip - they've not caused any issues yet.. but then again.. the car is more for wafting than hooning about in... I've got a Golf R on Michelin Pilot 4S for that... Laughing Andrew.

Post #589684 31st Mar 2021 2:01pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Try Falken AZENIS FK510 SUV. We don’t see cold weather here, may get down to 0’C once a year, only rains over a couple of months (can be heavy), these are comfortable (better than the continentals tyres fitted before), coupe very well with campo unpaved gravel/rocky step roads and tracks but also very performs well on smooth tarmac with quick steering, high grip levels, stable, quiet and cheap compared to Conti’s, Pirelli’s and Michelin’s at about 1/2-2/3rds the cost.

I recommend.

Post #589686 31st Mar 2021 2:06pm
Bl4ckD0g

The falken are the same price as the Pirelli's mentioned above, ok £3 per tyre cheaper. For the purpose stated I'd stick to summer tyres and to the top tier manufacturers personally.

Post #589694 31st Mar 2021 2:42pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

We have just had the new SCORPION™ ZERO ALL SEASON's first impressions are great, previously ran the VERDE they offer a little more rim protection, generally look more modern, the noise cancelation foam seems to work and they have a great dark finish. Will see how I feel about them in a years time Thumbs Up Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Last edited by TJH1985 on 1st Apr 2021 11:05am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #589698 31st Mar 2021 2:57pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Bl4ckD0g wrote:
The falken are the same price as the Pirelli's mentioned above, ok £3 per tyre cheaper.

Strange, may be it’s a Spainish pricing thing but the last Flakens I purchased were much cheaper than any of the others. Note in Spain we can only fit the approved size listed in the ITV cert (mot log book) which is 255/50r20 109Y... you are not allowed to change size, aspect ratio, load or speed rating even higher load and speed ratings would be illegal (no Insurrance, police fines/vehicle impounded, will not pass ITV).... most manufacturers don’t do this spec, like Pirelli and continental don’t list 109Y, they list 110W so illegal here, guess you are lucky!

Really limits makes and types a lot here.

Post #589707 31st Mar 2021 3:59pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Just fitted the Michelin Pilot Sport SUV to the car!! So much better that the Con ti Silents I had that the foam had delaminated!!

I really couldn't say much long term but the ride quality is far better and grip excellent but my tyres were "well used" and I did like them as a tyre but the whole foam malarkey puts me off any of the PNCS Pirelli ones and I wouldn't buy the Contis again either! all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #589729 31st Mar 2021 5:44pm
Bl4ckD0g

ur20v wrote:
Bl4ckD0g wrote:
The falken are the same price as the Pirelli's mentioned above, ok £3 per tyre cheaper.

Strange, may be it’s a Spainish pricing thing but the last Flakens I purchased were much cheaper than any of the others. Note in Spain we can only fit the approved size listed in the ITV cert (mot log book) which is 255/50r20 109Y... you are not allowed to change size, aspect ratio, load or speed rating even higher load and speed ratings would be illegal (no Insurrance, police fines/vehicle impounded, will not pass ITV).... most manufacturers don’t do this spec, like Pirelli and continental don’t list 109Y, they list 110W so illegal here, guess you are lucky!

Really limits makes and types a lot here.

Pirelli scorpion zero they do definitely in 109Y in that size. No problem at all. As does the Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Maybe it’s just the supplier that you are looking at. Or the country. No problem here in the UK.

Weirdly though, official LR marked ones will be W tyres. I don’t run 20”’ones so never looked that much into it. Mine are 22” LR marked in official size.

Post #589733 31st Mar 2021 6:09pm
Bl4ckD0g

CUE99T wrote:
Just fitted the Michelin Pilot Sport SUV to the car!! So much better that the Con ti Silents I had that the foam had delaminated!!

I really couldn't say much long term but the ride quality is far better and grip excellent but my tyres were "well used" and I did like them as a tyre but the whole foam malarkey puts me off any of the PNCS Pirelli ones and I wouldn't buy the Contis again either!

The foam works just fine for me with my Pirelli’s. Nice and quite and stable. No problem.

Comparing worn tyres to new ones is a bit pointless. But saying that I’m no big fan of continental. Especially not when they are wearing but not yet worn. They get so harsh.

Post #589734 31st Mar 2021 6:13pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

A few months back I had all new boots - Vredstein Quatrac 5 - 255/60 R18 on my 2006 Td6. ( Made in the Netherlands. Had not heard much about these, but they were recommended by a mate with pick up trucks.

Very happy with the general road holding, and coped well this winter in the snow and muddy stuff, at one point even the tow bar was under the mud - not intentional Embarassed but it got out OK. I must have had a senior moment.

All four supplied, balanced and fitted for £550, by Autokit Tyres a family owned independent tyre place in Wrexham. I have no connection to the business, but I have used them for years and have always had good service. Thumbs Up

Post #589738 31st Mar 2021 6:29pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Blackdog, I could get Pilot Sport SUV’s but they are 260€, Scorpion Zero’s are 250ish and the Falkens are 140ish €. I don’t like the Zero’s, old tech and the Falkens scored much higher in the tests.

I don’t do a lot of miles here, and as the sun destroys tyres here making them go hard and crack I can afford two sets for the price of the Zero’s or Michelin’s. Plus I am more likely to blow a tyre on the campo rough tracks over the rocks than wear them out.

The Michelin’s are by far the best road tyre performance, grip and wear wise, wet or dry, I wouldn’t run anything else on my GT3 or M5’s but the FF isn’t a performance car, just needs to be safe and the wet and dry figures of the falken are only just between by the Mich and Contis anyway... the Falkens are a bargain.

Post #589742 31st Mar 2021 6:40pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Mine came with Zeros and they seem fine, I’m swapping them over for AT3s on 20” rims as I need a bit more off road capability, but the Zeros are a decent tyre.

Post #589748 31st Mar 2021 6:54pm
Bl4ckD0g

Sure your pricing and products are very different. The OP is not in Spain though but in the UK and it’s nothing like that over here. In addition it was very clearly state that there was no interest in budget brands. Ok Falken isn’t a totally budget brand I’d class them more lower end of medium.

And whilst a FFRR may not be a race car, any of the my2010 onwards aren’t particularly slow either and can leave many a hatchback for dust and in surprise. And then there is the weight and fancy suspension. But to me most importantly it’s is a luxury vehicle. It’s deserves luxury shoes. I wouldn’t wear trainers from Aldi underneath my tuxedo 🤵‍♂️ 🥰

Post #589749 31st Mar 2021 6:57pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Well my comments are to broaden people’s knowledge and horizons. If you search tyres for ff’s you just see Pirelli’s and Contis mentioned plus a few off road tyres like K02’s etc. Michelin’s are anew one to the choice but little to no reviews on a ff.

Falken have taken a big step up the tyre manufacturers rankings in the last few years so now a real choice. My experience is good and I recommend them over the Pirelli and continentals. They excell in the dry and rain both handling and braking which are very important aspects plus performance on grass and sand was ok.

Take it or leave it. Some will appreciate a choice and some unbiased opinion.

Post #589801 1st Apr 2021 7:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>