Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 2002 ff 4.4 zf5hp lost reverse gear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bronjen

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue
2002 ff 4.4 zf5hp lost reverse gear

Hi My 02 4.4 just lost reverse gear and I cant find it. the car hasn't bonged and no warnings on dashboard,
Oil filter and cooler where changed in 2020, oil level is correct,
from a cold startup select R I hear a loud thump and car will crawl slowly in reverse,
but when warm I get loud thump but no reverse and engine revs rise and car wont reverse.
I have all forward gears and I can get engine braking in first gear in sport mode, oil still looks clean.
Is this a valve block issue that I can fix in car or removal of gearbox to repair.
Help and advice always appreciated
Big Cry

Post #590294 5th Apr 2021 10:27am
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

It's pretty hard to say without being stripped for inspection.

From my searches a few years ago, I understand it could be down to worn seals on one of the clutch actuators.

Turned out when mine did this on my 2002 FF, it was caused by a broken clutch drum according to the place that did the £2K re-build. But it needed a re-build as I'd had the 'rumble strip' type sensation at 45-50mph, when the torque converter was attempting to (unsuccessfully) lock up.

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #590297 5th Apr 2021 11:23am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I would suggest that you temporarily disconnect the 16-pin connector at the back of the transmission. This forces the transmission into failsafe mode and then the hydraulic feed to the C & F clutches is at full system pressure and there is no electronic or electrical intervention from the controller or solenoids. If the vehicle still won’t reverse when warm, then you have a mechanical problem (most likely a seal) and the transmission will have to be stripped.

Phil

Post #590389 6th Apr 2021 12:17am
Bronjen

Hi Phil
Many thanks for your advice, am home Wednesday night so will follow your suggestion then report back

Ron

Post #590434 6th Apr 2021 12:27pm
Bronjen

Hi Phil
Have now disconected 16 pin cable car goes into limp mode 4th gear driving forward and it will reverse up my step drive way with no problems, took car for a gentle 5 mile drive to get it hot stopped numerous times tried reverse and had no problems, just brought car home reversed onto drive with no problems, could you advise my next step please Bow down

Post #590618 7th Apr 2021 7:37pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

So, it would appear that both the C & F clutches are functioning correctly and that the hydraulic pressure to one (or both) is being incorrectly modulated, somehow, in normal operation.

This could be due to an internal leak (most likely from a failed support bush O-ring or worn sun gear shaft bushes) or it could be valve body related.

Generally, you would start by looking at the valve body because that can be removed with the transmission still in-situ whereas the internal leak will require the transmission to come out.

If it were me, I would remove the valve body assembly and apply air pressure to the C & F ports to see if you can establish if either hydraulic feed circuit is leaking badly.

I use a piece of Perspex, which is very flat and therefore seals well against the machined face of the casing, to block off the channel (with a single hole drilled in it for the air gun to apply pressure). You can see something similar in this video, that I use when I’m vacuum testing the valve blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZH3BkKlNfM

With the valve body I believe you have 3 choices :

1. Send it to Pete Stirrup at Valve Bodies UK http://www.valvebodyuk.co.uk (or somewhere similar) who can test it on a Hydra-Test machine https://youtu.be/bFgB_OW9_PA

2. Send the valve body assembly to me and I’ll strip and check it for you. I do these for fun so it would be free of charge if you’ll pay the postage each way. The down side is that I’m busy and it would probably take me a fortnight or so to complete

3. Strip down the valve body yourself. You’d just need to source a new gasket and solenoid O-rings. I could supply you with information/instructions

If the valve body assembly proves not to be the culprit then stripping & rebuilding the transmission is very straight-forward, if you fancied tackling it yourself. The difficult bit is getting the transmission out and back into the vehicle. The transmission is the easy part!

Phil

Post #590658 8th Apr 2021 2:04pm
fanders

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Hee hee, love pictures of a gearbox in bits like that Phil, thanks for posting and good to see you on the forum again.

That type of pitcure reminds me of this image from 'How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive' by John Muir from the 1960s, my Dad had a copy and I loved leafing through it:

Click image to enlarge

fanders Thumbs Up ---------------------------------------
2009 4.2 SC Buckingham Blue
2021 Hilux 2.4

Post #590661 8th Apr 2021 2:33pm
Bronjen

Hi Phil
I have a spare good valve body coming on Tuesday, will swap it out and try that first.
Thank you for your advice and will update you.

Ron

Post #590829 10th Apr 2021 9:34pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that it’s a valve body issue.

Any later version of the 5HP24 valve body assembly should be fine for just testing reverse, but (in case you aren’t aware) all L322s were fitted with the ‘350’ valve body assembly which had all the development & production fixes to October 2001. Hopefully your spare valve body assembly is a ‘350’ unit too.

Phil

Post #590898 11th Apr 2021 2:58pm
Bronjen

Hi Phil just dropped transmission pan and found this spacer or shim on the left rear magnet in the pan
What is it and am assuming I may as well remove the box now

Post #591083 13th Apr 2021 12:29pm
Bronjen

Post #591084 13th Apr 2021 12:31pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Wow, I’ve never seen that happen before Shocked

Hard to tell from the photograph because it’s in pieces, but it could be the snap ring that sits in a groove on the output shaft to form an abutment for the park lock gear. The snap ring is 38mm outside diameter, 33mm inside diameter and 2mm thick. Does that stack up?

Click image to enlarge

As you say, it looks like the transmission will have to come out now, anyway Sad

Phil

Post #591093 13th Apr 2021 1:35pm
Bronjen

Hi Phil yes it looks like the one in your picture, so box out that's the weekend used up lol

Post #591097 13th Apr 2021 1:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1