Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Steering wheel paddles - L405 Painted version in L322.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TDV8_Tommy

Spain 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Baltic Blue
Steering wheel paddles - L405 Painted version in L322.

Today I fitted what I believe are 2018 L405 steering wheel paddle shifters to our 2012 L322.

The type I used were the plastic ones that match the same chrome-affect interior trim pieces. But I would image those rather nice and expensive aluminimum onces would probably work in the same way.

I bagged an unused pair off eBay for £20 ( Very Happy ) and wrongly assumed I could just fit them. The issue I ran into immediatley was the housing's are completley different on the L405 + but the paddles are the same. I also think they are the same used across the JLR portfolio of cars.

Old vs New comparison below -

I really didn't want to remove the steering wheel, but after watching a few YouTube videos I started off by removing the airbag just to see what the situation was and if it were possible to just change the paddles and keep the exisiting housing units.

Bingo, it worked.

With battery disconnected the airbag/audio/phone/cruise control unit comes off very simply, a wiggle of an alan key either side.

Trickier though, are the silver/chrome-affect spoke trim pieces. They are held in with one screw but even once removed they are a realy pain to liberate. Once removed, the plate housing the paddle shifter and mounting point can be very easily moved backward to easily access the retaining pin:

This is why you don't need to remove the steering wheel.

Remove the retaining pin. I used a flat head screwdriver to get the pin free from the bottom and then a pair of hook-noised pliars to remove up and out - remove the little shiny black plastic trim bung: (dont lose them, they are tiny)

Next up was the challenge that the paddles have very, very small differences in the housing for the actual retaining pin. When I offered up the new paddle they seemed to fit nicely, but they didn't make the 'click' sound when pressing the button pad for the shiftting mechanism. On closer inspection the holes for the pin didn't line up - the housing for the pins prevented the paddle from sitting home properly.

You can see here the slight differences:

Altough not very clear, you can see the slight differences. I shaved off any areas out of line and ensure all pin housing sections miminked the old paddles. One pin housing was too wide and too tall - so only one needed fettling.

Click image to enlarge

The plastic is robust and it took only moments to do. You know its correct once the pin lines up and drops down into its correct seating position.

And the finished result:

Click image to enlarge

Re-ftting is the reverse of removal.

I ran the GAP ID tool to ensure no faults present and then went for a spirited drive up the mountain side...shifted perfectly and the paddles are 'tighter' than before, less 'flappy' and far more precise feeling. (not that they were bad before in away way!) Being smooth to touch, they are a pleasure to feel and use. The slight 'click' noise had gone and the travel in the paddle is reduced - I'm not sure how else to explain it.

I am happy with this small cost-effect upgrade.

Thanks! 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Baltic Blue, Jet interior
1997 P38 2.5 DSE auto & 1998 P38 2.5 DT Manual
1988 Vogue 3.5 EFI - Manual, gone.
2004 Volvo C70 2.0T convertible, had since new.
2007 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Sport Roadster/Coupé, had since new.
2024 Mini Cooper S cabrio, JCW kit, 2.0, DCT auto

Post #593789 10th May 2021 4:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1