Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2006 L322 Sat nav unit - options to replace missing unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chrisv

United Kingdom 
2006 L322 Sat nav unit - options to replace missing unit

Hi all,

I have just taken on a Full Fat RR (2006 Vogue) after previously owning a RRS.

It seems that the sat nav unit failed some time in the past and was removed.

What are my options to replace it? Should I go for a direct second hand replacement, something else or simply not bother.

As an aside, does the dash clock rely on the sat nav unit for a time signal as it is not working.

Thanks all.

Post #593817 10th May 2021 7:50pm
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Have you got rear screens? Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #593931 11th May 2021 9:54pm
chrisv

United Kingdom 

I have rear screens and a boot DVD changer (subject to repair). No headphones for the rear though (something else to source).

edit: Clock was fixed. Turned it that it had been disconnected at some point in the past. Working now. --
Current: 2006 3.6 TDV8 Vogue
Previous: 2007 V8 HSE RRS, Disco TDi x 2

Post #593950 12th May 2021 7:42am
Danwilderspin

I was going to suggest ripping it all out but with rear screens the job gets harder without making a dogs dinner of of it.

I have a set of rear headphones I’m holding for another week for one one in here but if they don’t take them I’ll sel to you if needed still then Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #593958 12th May 2021 8:46am
chrisv

United Kingdom 

Thanks Dan --

Post #593959 12th May 2021 8:47am
lschwarcz

United States 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Bournville

Do you know what's specifically wrong with the sat nav? In my case the nav DVD drive in the back was broken. I bought one off of eBay for $90 (USD) that works perfectly! If the display works fine then you may just need a replacement drive. Just make sure you get the right one for your car!

Good luck!
Larry. 2009 Range Rover L322 Autobiography
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #594010 12th May 2021 3:13pm
chrisv

United Kingdom 

The unit was removed completely and, I assume, was binned along the way leaving a gap in the frame and the wiring dangling forlornly. --

Post #594014 12th May 2021 3:41pm
lschwarcz

Hmmmm. If the wiring is still there you may be able to plug in a replacement unit and get functionality back!

I don't know which unit is correct for your car. It seems the model years in Europe are just slightly different from here in the USA. I would imagine you should be able to look up the correct model online and then from there find one that matches off of eBay.

In my case, I looked for one that had the same faceplate. The one I bought was actually from an older RR but had the same front and the connectors in the back are the same and it works fine.

The used one I bought had a navigation DVD in it but it was also older than the one that came with my car.

Good luck!
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #594015 12th May 2021 3:46pm
chrisv

United Kingdom 

I've looked on ebay and I can get a replacement unit. However, given that the most up to date disc I can get is likely to be a few years old, I'd like to take the opportunity to look at an upgrade option.

I came across Naviplus and Navtool last night. They look like they might do the job. --

Post #594034 12th May 2021 5:14pm
lschwarcz

I don't know anything about Naviplus but I just installed the NavTool in my '09.

For it to work you need to have a working navigation system. It will be wired in-line with the navigation wiring (between the display and the navigation DVD drive). It is NOT plug-and-play. You will need to splice into the wiring harness for it to work.

And as for documentation? Forget about it. To them, their video on YouTube is the documentation. If you persist they do have a PDF file that they claim is the documentation but it too is very sparse and not really written well.

NavTool will not replace your navigation but will give you CarPlay and the Android one (don't know the name) so you can use your smart phone for navigation.

But be warned, if you get lucky and the unit you receive isn't defective and you don't have any issues with the installation, the unit does work very well. But, Their customer service is the worst! I bought my NavTool at the end of last November and got a defective unit. It took them until the end of April to finally get a working unit!

Communication with them is nearly impossible. Occasionally you'll get a prompt reply, More often it will take days for a reply if you get any at all. And, very often the reply will be cryptic and not helpful. You can ask a detailed question and the reply will have poor grammar, misspelled words, ambiguous wording, poor punctuation and usually not even answer your question. I was told that for my issue (the screen only showed horizontal lines and was totally unusable) that it just needed a software update. After months of trying to get a straight answer about when this update would be available they then say that I need to exchange it. On the website they show one option called, "Advance Exchange" where you give them a deposit and they send out the replacement unit first. You put the replacement in your car and then send back the defective unit.

Again, I spent weeks trying to do this getting error messages and them saying that they're working on it. In the end they said that they are not doing that now and I had to send it back and not have use of my factory navigation for a few weeks while it was in transit across the USA (I'm on the west coast and they are on the east coast). I'm guessing this would take even longer going to Europe!

In the end, the product is good once you have a working one (they seem to have a very high failure rate) and customer service is nearly non-existent.

And, it comes with a microphone for making phone calls and the cord is a bit too short for our FF RRs. You'll need to buy an extension for this. Fortunately these are cheap and easy to find.

So I'm not saying to not get a NavTool but to just be prepared for month after month of seemingly never ending frustration dealing with them if there are any issues.

Good luck!
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #594043 12th May 2021 5:49pm
chrisv

United Kingdom 

Thanks Larry - useful feedback. They imply that you can use Navtool without the OEM sat nav but it seems not.

Waiting to hear back from Naviplus about some questions I have. --

Post #594098 13th May 2021 8:40am
Danwilderspin

You may be better off gutting it and and putting a nice 10.25 androids screen in and normal headrests.

I have a screen etc all for sale from when I gutted it except the dvd drive failing that Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #594413 16th May 2021 5:37pm
lschwarcz

Fitting an aftermarket Android unit as suggested by Danwilderspin may be a perfect solution! But just be aware that you will lose some functionality. You certainly won't get the 4X4 screen and I'm not sure how you'd do other tasks like setting the clock. There may be a work around but I'm not aware of them.

Good luck!
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #594414 16th May 2021 6:03pm
Danwilderspin

The clock you need to rig a hidden button to cut the power twice a year you press at 12
And it’s all good. Yes you lose the 4x4 info but obviously all the modes etc work Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #594418 16th May 2021 6:28pm
chrisv

United Kingdom 

I did think about ripping it all out TBH.

Right now I am using an Android tablet running WebGuru launcher, an OBD plug and a bluetooth receiver plugged into the AUX.

More driving and musing to be done I reckon hmmmm... --

Post #594580 18th May 2021 8:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1