Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > OBD Scanners/Readers Info
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I think if someone is using the site to promote their wares then they should have to pay for the privilege, after all they are making money that they wouldn't have otherwise made had it not been for the site. In the mean time the site has to find its own money to stay up and running.

I do feel that this site is one of the better around, and I put that down to the fact that there is little political intervention from the mods on behalf of their mates etc.

Anyhoo, this whole thread is running into obscurity from what was meant as an informative place for people to get a little more info on a little covered topic.

Perhaps a mod could cut my original post and put it in a locked sticky? Then we can cut out others with an alteria motive.

Dan 

Post #5682 19th May 2009 6:35pm
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

Site rules are site rules. We all agreed to them when we signed up.

There can be a fine line between giving advice and promotion. BBS Spy did come clean up front and tell us who he is, rather than do what I've seen on other sites where people register to plug their products/services covertly. You have to give him some credit for that.

However, there are sites rules and I do agree with them. Although, it can work very well when you have a line into the knowledge behind a product and possibly help tune the product to something that is better for our needs - I know it would be nice to have someone from LR on here with detailed universal knowledge on all we ask. But, commercial advertising on the forum without sponsorship is out of order and does degrade the essence of what the forum is about.

To my mind, anybody on here who is connected to a RR/Offroad product or service should decide on the following:

a)Are they here to contribute to the forum generally, not just on topics related to their product?
b)Do they want to get feedback on their product to improve it?
c)Registered solely to sell or promote their product.

If the answer is b) and/or c) - sod off somewhere else or pay for the priviledge. If a)Welcome to the forum!

A suggestion for Martin - have a section where suppliers can start a commercial promotion thread on their product - for a price of course! Thumbs Up

Post #5683 19th May 2009 6:48pm
Landrovered

United States 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

I would hope that if someone profited from being on this site then they would feel obligated to donate. But why does the thread need to be tidied up at all? Everyone knows that after four posts, a forum topic has nothing to do with the title. 93 NAS 110, 72 SIII 109, 93 RRC LWB, 03 RR HSE

Post #5684 19th May 2009 6:49pm
Larry

Dan, Although I am guilty in part of digressing this thread, I agree (Sorry!).

Your original thread has value to the site in my opinion and the subject is an important part of car ownership these days (and helps us to prevent handing more cash to the dealers), so should be placed as a sticky as this subject will keep cropping up forever.

Post #5686 19th May 2009 6:56pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

This thread is of interest to me partly because of my miss fire thread problems. I think any one willing to give good advice should be welcome, at what point they take the Censored is down to the mods. I have a totaly mapable ECU on Elise and the softwear to change it but am well aware of my limmitations. The basic tool is all I need but would wellcome help understanding what it is telling me. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5688 19th May 2009 7:11pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Dixy wrote:
This thread is of interest to me partly because of my miss fire thread problems. I think any one willing to give good advice should be welcome, at what point they take the Censored is down to the mods. I have a totaly mapable ECU on Elise and the softwear to change it but am well aware of my limmitations. The basic tool is all I need but would wellcome help understanding what it is telling me.

Just sent you a PM on the matter Thumbs Up 

Post #5691 19th May 2009 7:31pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Ping letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5696 19th May 2009 8:09pm
BBS SPY

Cyprus 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Quote:
BBS that post in its self promotes your product

It really is scraping the bottom of the barrel to imagine that post as seriously trying to commercially promote our product, especially when you know what my promotional posts usually look like Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
That's like comparing a folded sheet of A4 next to a A380.

Seriously though, yea it can be an effort, at which i do try very hard, But i am not pretending to be someone i am not or have unbiased opinions in respect of diagnostic equipment. I am not here on this forum to flog our stuff, and if i got out of hand there are those who i would be happy to hear say so.

What i meant by my post was that, most everyone who is into Range Rovers knows all about our stuff already. Yawn
If people ask me something, i will respond and answer as much as i am respectfully able and if it gets a bit more interesting/ inquisitional then Martin knows i am more than happy or willing to do the right thing. So please give me some credit. As well as which as members here have stated, they know the score, they can filter any self praise (which is no praise) out no problem)

Typically it is easier for me not to post in such threads as this, and if i chose to participate, i certainly would have not bought up our equipment, but simply offer my related knowledge and understanding as indeed i did.

But, imagine if had made a post about you Ken, saying that i thought you did something " Censored ", and in your heart you truly believed it was actually something good that you did, i am really quite sure you would post in response, under any circumstances, mentioning yourself and the good things you have done several times. and probably far less politely and less aggressively than i did in this case. Thumbs Up

I don't want to argue fight or annoy anyone, or cadge a freebie. I just like to chat about technical stuff, although as many will know, my chatting with other enthusiasts and owners on any forum about technical problems (the ones in A) Larry Thumbs Up ) and stuff has, without fail, always resulted in a raft of very beneficial and innovative developments for all owners somewhere further down the line. And ultimately at some point it does justify us in deciding to become a sponsor anyway, and as you have seen, that then causes others to as well.
So while we may just be window shoppers here at present, we are potential customers and regular buyers, not the sort you want to be sticking your fingers up to.

On that note.
Ken, you seem in particular to air some strong views and concerns regarding commercial posting without site sponsorship and you openly suggest that you think I might be seeking to underhandedly posts commercially for free.
I understand your concern and your motives for these comments may seem justified to you.

However, i will tell you a couple of things you should consider that may well find interesting.

1)) I have already paid for 2 months sponsorship on another of Martins sites at the same time as i Did for D3, but i did not so much as post there even once.

2) When renewing my sponsorships and updating to Banner advertising for six months on D3, i had also initially decided to add sponsorship of this site too. As well as buy a big pile of promotional items at the same time.
However i actually decided not to, as a direct result of your jumping to totally the wrong conclusion and firing your very own hostile and unwelcoming response to my first post of general interest here.

And just think you could have been well on your way to having my super zooby flash banner advert on here too. Whistle Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Perhaps, i might therefore just remind you of the advice you gave me then, and by the same token, offer the same.
Quote:
Chill its a nice place to be without the sniping and we would all love it to stay that way and it will

I got Nooooo Problemo with that, and i promise to try my very best to keep my massive BBS soapbox out of site. BTW That was not a typo Rolling with laughter

And thanks to those of you at least willing to give me the benefit of doubt. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Now back on topic.

Dan, I actually commend you on your post and your efforts to make others aware of any decent well valued OBDII tool, there is a lot of rubbish about, purporting to be better than it is, and anyone can easily waste what little resources some have available on them. This one does look better than average, certainly the best i have seen, and i have seen a few Laughing . Can i therefore confirm if it also gives the above P1000 code list by manufacturer facility i have seen on some of the better ones. If not that would be a useful thing that might be possible to add separately.

Also I noted on your pictures that the graphics used for the dials in particular are quite something, even got reflections on them to make them seem glossy, which is what i call real attention to detail. Are those graphic files separate?
As in have you looked through the files
Also are there any other views. 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #5720 20th May 2009 5:17pm
delsilencio

France 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Someone experience with the Bearmachs Hawk Eye?

http://www.bearmach.com/downloads/Flyers/Hawkeye.pdf

http://www.bearmach.com/downloads/PDFS/HawkEye%20Specs.pdf

http://www.mailorder4x4.com/acatalog/HAWKEYE_.html

there should be a new one for the L322 and its not only an OBD2-Scanner. XJC, RRV8, Series1 86 and 107% of real pleasure

Post #5923 1st Jun 2009 12:57pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Last I heard was that the L322 would be ready mid June and I'm defo getting one plus the add on's for the D3

Post #5930 1st Jun 2009 2:49pm
Larry

What exactly does the Hawkeye do that the other ODBII readers don't (apart from being marketed for LR's)?

I wasn't clear from those pdf's what "Access actuators and control modules" means.

Post #5935 1st Jun 2009 3:02pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
RIGHT, LISTEN UP EVERYONE

As a Moderator I don't want to seem unfair to anyone, individual or commercial and take into consideration the rules and regulations by which we signed up.

This thread has turned into a slanging match from what started off as an informative topic that I asked Dan to detail so that all of us can benfit from his knowledge and DIY experience on the matter.

If other people also have knowledge and experience and can add value, then everyone benefits.

If I believed there was a deliberate commercial posting I would delete the post, however in this case, I don't think that BBS has gone over that line (yet).

In the interests of the forum I am going to delete all eroneous content that is not relating to the original thread and will lock the topic down as a sticky in this forum section.

If you wish to continue the 'banter' then please take it into the Off Topic Section, send a PM to the person concerned or, contact the site Owner, Martin.

Thankyou for all of your input along the way, long may it continue.

RRUK
 Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #5939 1st Jun 2009 3:57pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234