Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.4 TDV8 Oil Leak Fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 31 of 36 <123 ... 303132 ... 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
DaleR

New Zealand 

Hi guys,
Have read this thread from start to finish (all 30 pages) - there are a bunch of absolutely awesome people sharing very, very useful knowledge.

Anyways, I'm going to throw another ball into this ball park:
I have recently experienced the dreaded TDV8 oil leak in the engine valley - pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the the oil cooler or oil cooler gaskets. Haven't removed the intake manifold yet though.

The kicker is that this is the 3.6 litre TDV8 (2008 RR Vogue).
The 3.6 oil cooler looks very similar to the 4.4 set-up, so it's not much of a stretch to assume the 3.6 engine suffers the same issues.
Can anyone confirm this for me?

If so, is there anyone in the southern hemisphere (Australasia would be even better) that can supply the required/necessary parts?
I have absolutely nothing against our Northern Hemisphere mates - it's just that the cost to get stuff shipped to our part of the globe at the moment is usually almost as much (sometimes more) as the parts themselves.

Thanks in advance for any help...[/b]

Post #601666 24th Jul 2021 4:46am
Smitch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Had a good read on here and went to look at mine as although I don’t have any pooling under the car I can smell it after a run and there is visible oil on the under body.

It’s just had a service so there are a couple of oil spots around the filter but I can’t see any seepage around the mating surfaces and the feed pipe is scuzzy. There is no oil in the coolant but the header tank is scuzzy but I think that’s from a previous issue as there is deffo no il on the coolant l, the cooler also looks quite new with some of the silver bolts looking new.

The car has done 100k I don’t know if the cooker has been done but based on the posts I’m going to make an educated guess and say it the feed pipe o rings?

Post #608791 10th Oct 2021 12:26pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Your pipe attachment point looks dry to me.
For how long have you had the vehicle? If not so long then perhaps residual oil from a previously leaking cooler is still hanging around. As coolers are 2 housings bolted together as an assembly, the bolts holding the 2 housings together would be new if a new cooler has been fitted whereas the bolts holding the cooler to the EGR cooler would be old.

Post #608816 10th Oct 2021 7:52pm
Smitch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Click image to enlarge

It’s definitely leaking I got my fingers underneath the attachment and it was wet and oily there’s also fresh oil spots on the pipe work next to the bulkhead directly behind and below. I’ve cleaned it up and ordered the o rings so when they come if it’s oily again I’ll change them.

If you zoom in on the pic you can see the bolts, they look brand new so with that in mind and being on 100k I think it’s had work but they didn’t change the o rings. I checked the other pipe that’s know to leak and it looks spotless there’s definitely no seepage on the mating surfaces and the leak is minimal as there’s nothing dropped on the floor
Fingers crossed but i think it’s the culprit

Post #608818 10th Oct 2021 8:04pm
MikeB.

Germany 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

nino_nino wrote:
it looks very much like top gasket is leaking, and I would replace both once you are at it.

and once you have air intake plenum off may as well clean it inside. easy but very messy job. Thumbs Up

.Nino,

Hi Nino,
the yellow O-Ring on the picture is which part? What's the size of this one?
Thanks for the answer!!
Best regards
MikeB. 2012 FFRR 4,4 TDV8 Vogue
2010 Defender TD4
2003 TVR Tuscan S
1998 TVR Griffith 500

Post #621218 24th Jan 2022 12:36pm
nambFFRR

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Evening
I’ve been reading the entire thread because I have the oil cooler/oil ring problem on my 2011 VSE 4.4 TDV8. I can see a whole host of brilliant comments and suggestion….so it’s my turn to carry out the repairs. I have a genuine oil cooler in order with the 2 gaskets (£270) and a bag of O rings (viton BS611 size). I’ll be carrying out the work over the coming few weeks when I get time and report back when I have everything done…..wish me luck!

Post #634363 11th Jun 2022 6:31pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Best of luck sir... Thumbs Up Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #634380 11th Jun 2022 11:56pm
nambFFRR

Oh well, oil cooler changed and the oil feed pipe o rings changed and apart from a few error codes being thrown up which seem to have settled down, I must have another oil leak somewhere else as I’m getting some oil smoke coming up from the back of the engine somewhere. Because it’s so congested at the back of the engine, I’m struggling to see where it’s coming from. Any suggestions on what else maybe leaking would be appreciated. I have wondered if I’m getting oil onto the exhaust somewhere……so the new investigation starts! Damn it. 🤨

Post #642481 9th Sep 2022 11:26am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Could be oil residue left over from the leak still making it's way down the back of the engine. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #642483 9th Sep 2022 11:37am
paul70

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

If there's no oil being seen reaching the floor, I'd tend to agree with JayGee.
In my case there was quite a pool of oil behind the cooler which was difficult to clean up.
I jet washed from below the car after the repair to remove the oil that was all over the bottom of the engine and that cured drips. However even after over 10,000miles later although no oily smell from within the car there is still a bit of a 'hot oil' sort of smell from the engine when I get out after a run.

Post #642502 9th Sep 2022 1:36pm
nambFFRR

Thanks guys….appreciate your comments. Think I’m just going to have to take the pollen filter off again which is easy to do and use a mirror to see if I can spot anything else. I’m hoping is just residue (I wasn’t able to wash anything down when I did the oil cooler) and I know oil seems to linger a long time so I might just have a slightly smoky engine bay for a while. If I spot anything obvious I’ll post what I found…..

Post #642513 9th Sep 2022 2:55pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

It’s easy to have a good half a litre of oil go down the back when changing the cooler! Really should try cleaning it off or it will burn for months!!!

Post #642517 9th Sep 2022 3:47pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

First time I've ever seen this thread so, curious, I went and had a look. Also thank you because, should I get a leak in future, I'll use it as an initial point of call.

Oil cooler was done on mine a few years ago and there is evidence of old oil down there and on the bell housing but nothing new, and the oil feed pipe mentioned in this post has clearly been cleaned at some point so, presume it was all done at the same time as the oil cooler.

Click image to enlarge

Lots of old diesel crud on the bell housing though! Next time the donut is off I'll give it a vacuum and a scrub. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #642540 9th Sep 2022 6:41pm
nambFFRR

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
It’s easy to have a good half a litre of oil go down the back when changing the cooler! Really should try cleaning it off or it will burn for months!!!

Thanks for your reply. I’ll try and give it a clean over the next week when I get the time 👍thanks

Post #642578 10th Sep 2022 10:40am
Jamesonfox

United Kingdom 

mm289 wrote:
@hermano - the cooler having failed is normally shown by oil in the water of the cooling system rather than a leak which is usually gaskets. So I wouldn't be too worried about ordering up a cooler unless you have symptoms that lead you to believe it has failed Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Paul.

@mm289 - If oil is in the coolant, can this be fixed by replacing the two gaskets on the oil cooler? Or must the entire oil cooler unit be replaced instead?

Post #645940 19th Oct 2022 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 31 of 36 <123 ... 303132 ... 343536>