Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Roof rails for L405
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

All very interesting. Thumbs Up

My solution to date has been to pack light. Not too much of a struggle, as to date it’s only been the two of us and the dog. It’s going to be tricky if I need room for other passengers though.

As I’d prefer not to have the roof rails on permanently, is the procedure to fit them easily reversible?

Last edited by LT on 19th Aug 2021 11:59pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #604206 19th Aug 2021 5:15pm
marsie

England 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue

Yes apart from you would need a spare set of finishing strips to replace the drilled ones. I have greased all my bolts incase I ever decide to remove them Thumbs Up Paul

2014 Range Rover vogue se 4.4sdv8 Loire Blue
1992 Range Rover Vogue LSE 4.2 Ardennes green

Post #604226 19th Aug 2021 9:40pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Marsie
what are the cross bars you used for them? 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #604228 19th Aug 2021 10:12pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Also what's the clearance if the sun roof was opened? 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #604229 19th Aug 2021 10:13pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

marsie wrote:
Yes apart from you would need a spare set of finishing strips to replace the drilled ones. I have greased all my bolts incase I ever decide to remove them Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up

Seeing as I already have a large roof box, this could be the solution if in the future the need for extra space arises.

Post #604237 20th Aug 2021 12:03am
marsie

Kot wrote:
Also what's the clearance if the sun roof was opened?

these bars https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383762278112?_t...%7Ciid%3A1

not got the crossbars yet but will fit them and check clearance when they arrive.I think the height of the rails plus the height of the cross bars it should be fine.Even if its close it won't be an issue as I only need to fit my roof box when we go on holiday (October and December) so I don't think I will need the roof open Mr. Green Paul

Post #604246 20th Aug 2021 8:02am
marsie

LT wrote:

Seeing as I already have a large roof box, this could be the solution if in the future the need for extra space arises.

Thats the reason I went for roof bars, I already have a large Thule box Thumbs Up Paul

Post #604247 20th Aug 2021 8:04am
marsie

Ignore my last post, the roof bars in the above post have arrived but are wrong (one is 108cm long which is right but the other is 105cm long which is too short to reach)

Am currently trying to sort this with the seller Paul

Post #605048 28th Aug 2021 2:03pm
James W

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Siberian Silver

Just to update I finally got around to fitting the roof rails today. Took about an hour for the first side and about 40 mins for the second side, at a steady pace. Overall, I'm very happy to finally be able to collect my Oztent from my mate's house Laughing however - would I recommend the powerfulUK set? No. You clearly get what you pay for but having now done it, I would go down the official route and bear the cost (my personal choice on this, you pays your moeny you takes your choice). Here's why

- The two sides weren't symmetrical, one rail has a slight twist in in which makes the rails sit at slightly different angles at the front
- I suspect the black paint will start to flake off pretty quickly, it's not a great finish
- The countersunk screws to attach the rails to the brackets seemed okay but the flat head ones to attach the brackets to the vehicle are made of toffee, several had off centre heads and one snapped with just finger strength on an allen key, having to be extracted
- The very front screws cannot be accessed to attach the rails to the front bracket as the roof rises up too much, covering the screw head
- The rubber bases for the brackets are very poor quality, don't sit flat and also had to be cut away on the front bracket in order to access the screws
- Although tight and secure, there is a very slight amount of flex on the brackets (just a mm or so) when you pull on the rails with some effort - not sure if OEM ones do this, it would be good to find out
- I am sure there is an answer to this but I can't see how you remove and reattach the front 'inner' bracket covers with the bottom of the rail bracket in place
- Two of the bracket holes had to be tapped out and deburred for a screw to go in them
- All the bracket covers are very thin and brittle and I can't see them staying attached too long. I'm going to add some dots of black silicone to help keep them in place

Maybe I was unlucky. I can see myself removing these and getting an OEM set with new finishers at some point. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, time will tell.

My top tips
- Buy a second spade bit or buy one high quality one. The Silverline one provided is not up to 10 holes
- Tap out the rear roof hole on each side as it seems to collect water and needed a bit of rusty crud tapping out before I could get the screw in safely
- A round file and semi-circle file are essential as the brackets ideally need 'oval' holes and for 3 or 4 of them had to be filed out
- a small de-burring tool is also very useful for tidying up the holes in the finishers[/list] FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #655937 7th Feb 2023 2:32pm
James W

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Siberian Silver

marsie wrote:
Ignore my last post, the roof bars in the above post have arrived but are wrong (one is 108cm long which is right but the other is 105cm long which is too short to reach)

Am currently trying to sort this with the seller

@Marsie, did you get to the bottom of this? Just gone to buy an identical pair and they still say on the photos that one is 108cm and the other (front) is 105cm?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383762278112

EDIT: I heard back from this seller, they say the bars don't fit the L405! Despite being advertised for an L405! I had queried that one of the photos showed that they are not compatible with the type of 'open' roof rails we have. This is regardless of the length issue. I have walked away and bought a second hand pair of genuine cross bars instead. FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #655952 7th Feb 2023 4:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12