Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Back with another Supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 58 <123 ... 161718 ... 565758>
Print this entire topic · 
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Shiny bits have arrived! Ordered these at 11pm on Thursday. Dispatched on Friday and delivered at 11:30 this morning.

Front Diff:

Rear Diff:

The rear diff I’m over the moon with! It was pictured as a bare differential on eBay. However it’s turned up with a locking motor and the motor housing bolted to it! I couldn’t believe my eyes when I opened the nailed wooden crate it was delivered in.

Unfortunately we’ve got a wedding in Sheffield on Thursday so Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are written off this week Sad

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #604560 23rd Aug 2021 12:26pm
Bean19844

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

That's a decent result then mate. Tell the bride n groom sorry car comes first hahaha

Post #604572 23rd Aug 2021 1:29pm
dhallworth

Been a while since I’ve updated this…

Still haven’t got around to fitting the diffs. I’ve noticed that the flange on the new rear diff is different to mine. Mine has a cup on it that the prop locates into before you bolt it on. The new diff i’ve got just has a flat flange on it so there’s nowhere for the prop to locate.

I’ve double and triple checked and it’s definitely the right diff going by part number so am assuming the input flange at some point has changed.

This is snapped from an eBay listing but is the same as the one on my car.

I’m hoping that I can unbolt the flange from mine and swap it over when I get around to swapping the diffs.

I’ve managed to get my hands on a complete set of brand new deployable side steps, a wiring loom and the ECU for the car so I’ve got them to fit.

My Bilstein rear air bags arrived from Island 4x4 too.

I’ve got a set of Bilstein rear shock absorbers here too so will be doing bags and shocks shortly.

As this car has an LPG tank under the boot floor I never got a spare wheel with it. Today, I collected a set of Supercharged alloys that were for sale locally. I’m going to make a set of 5 and have them refurbished and will be selling the others once I’ve got a set.

The tyres on these wheels are knackered but there’s an excellent set of Pirelli Scorpions on my wheels so I’ll swap them over once these have been refurbished.

I need to get my backside into gear now as I’ve got a Range Rover shelf in the workshop at the moment!

It’s got a front diff, rear diff, 4 wheel bearings, driveshaft bearings, 2 shock absorbers, 2 air springs, and on the top there’s the deployable steps and wiring loom too so plenty to keep me busy!

Post #610284 24th Oct 2021 9:20pm
Bean19844

Plenty there too keep you busy mate.

Post #610288 24th Oct 2021 9:42pm
JCW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Sumatra Black

May I ask where you picked up the deployable steps from, as I’m looking for a set myself Thumbs Up

Post #610292 25th Oct 2021 4:48am
dhallworth

I found them being sold on an owners group on Facebook.

There was someone reasonably local to me selling a set but they’ve gone now too.

Keep an eye out on eBay, forums and Facebook groups as they do crop up occasionally.

Post #610299 25th Oct 2021 7:57am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I must be misunderstanding your comments on the diff because the new one has 4 bolt holes and yours has 6. Nice find on the side steps by the way.

Post #610307 25th Oct 2021 10:05am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I must be misunderstanding your comments on the diff because the new one has 4 bolt holes and yours has 6. Nice find on the side steps by the way.
Obviously I didn't read about you changing the flange!! Doesn't that flange nut preload the bearings though?

Post #610308 25th Oct 2021 10:09am
dhallworth

I believe it does. There's a section in the workshop manual about setting the preload on them I'm sure. I'll need to try and work out somehow when I get mine off the car if that is the only difference or if the diff I've bought isn't going to work.

It's the right part number on the box, the right part number on the labels stuck to the box and the right part number on the diff. That same part number cross references to my car as well though which is strange. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Post #610310 25th Oct 2021 10:28am
dhallworth

Censored Censored Censored Censored

After doing some more homework this evening, the diff that I’ve been supplied isn’t the right one for my car at all…

Here’s the pictures of the brand new diff that arrived:

The correct part number for my rear diff is TVK500470. That is the part number that is written on this diff.

This is the correct differential…

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/624...o_7a999999

You can see that the shape of them is totally different. I’ve no idea what this diff is from either Big Cry I’m hoping the seller is in a good mood as I’ve had it sat in the packing case that it arrived in for a couple of months now. I’m gonna have to phone him tomorrow and see what he says. I gave him the part number for my car and the wrong part has arrived so fingers crossed we can get it sorted.

Post #610365 25th Oct 2021 11:59pm
dhallworth

Well, time for another update…

It turns out that the diff that was in the box is for a Supercharged Range Rover Sport, not an L322. Thankfully the seller has been fantastic and it’s being returned as we speak.

I finally got fed up looking at the black wheels and had the wheels refurbished. I used the set that I’d bought so that I could keep the car mobile to ferry the wheels back and forth to get them done. I noticed that with the other wheels on the car the noise from the rear was massively reduced to the point where it was barely audible.

I used this as an excuse to order a full set of Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres from Camskill. They were ordered at 11.30am yesterday and delivered at 09:30am today.

The All Season Scorpions have the Noise Cancellation System on them. Given the difference they made to our 2012 there was no doubt in my mind about what I was ordered.

The place that refurbished the wheels offered to fit and balance the tyres for me so I took them up on that offer as it saved me a load of work when I got them home so I collected them at 15:30 today completely finished.

I reversed the car into the workshop this evening to swap the wheels over and decided to swap out the rear air springs and shock absorbers whilst I was at it. Shock absorbers were a nice easy job to swap out. Rear air springs weren’t to bad either but the bolts that hold them into the wishbones were seized and sheered so I need to order those.

Irritatingly, whilst it was jacked up and I was changing the rears the front left air spring burst. I could hear a hell of a hissing noise and could see the front left corner of the car dropping like a stone. Big Cry

Anyway, as the rear air bags are only held in my gravity just now and because the front left is Censored air out of it, I didn’t want to take it out for a run which was annoying as I’m keen to see what it’s like with the new tyres on it.

The centre caps I’ve ordered haven’t arrived yet either so it doesn’t look finished but the silver wheels have transformed the car in my opinion. I’m soo glad to finally be rid of the black ones as they’re just not my kinda thing.

Going to see if I can find Bilstein front shocks and bags to match the rears. I’m not sure that the front dampers have ever been changed so at 130k and 14 years old it’s not worth trying to just replace the bags i don’t think.

Once I’ve done the front air springs and shocks, mechanically it’s about where I want it so I can then focus on machine polishing the paintwork to rid it of swirls.

Post #612837 16th Nov 2021 8:38pm
dhallworth

The postman delivered the new centre caps today so I managed to get the car looking finished. They’re not L322 specific wheel centre caps but they are genuine. They look a little bit more modern and freshen the car up nicely IMO.

New front shocks and bags are being delivered from Island 4x4 tomorrow so she should be back on the road and fighting fit for the weekend Smile

Then the only outstanding job I’ve got left to do is fit the deployable side steps that I’ve got sitting here. Well, for now… it is a Range Rover I guess. 🙈

Anyway, here’s a before and after picture. The top picture is how it arrived in January with chrome bits everywhere… the bottom picture is how she sits today. Completely returned to standard using all genuine parts. It’s been a mission and has cost a fortune but I’m glad I’ve done it as it really does look like a different car. I’m chuffed to bits with it if I’m honest.

Click image to enlarge

Post #613089 18th Nov 2021 8:35pm
Bean19844

After photo looks much better mate. Black rims don't really suit the black car as it makes it look too drug dealerish and gangsta.

Keep up the good work mate. Might cost the equivalent of a kidney but they make you smile

Post #613095 18th Nov 2021 8:54pm
dhallworth

The amount I’ve spent on this one would have got me into an immaculate, low mileage 4.2 or an early 5.0. However, all of the jobs I’ve done on this one have been routine maintenance. I could have had to do them to any other car that I’d bought too.

I enjoy the tinkering too so I’m not upset with the financial side of it but it would be nice if it’d stay working for a while now!

When I walk past the car now the wheels are silver they look bigger and appear to fill the arches far better then the black ones did.

Post #613097 18th Nov 2021 9:02pm
Bean19844

You could have gone out mate, spent £15k on a 5.0sc as you say and still had too pay out this type of money for everything. Personally for me when it comes too older cars I'd rather get a cheaper one knowing its going too need xyz rather then getting a decent one and still having to fork out the money.

The silver rims certainly make it more of an attractive car too look at mate.

Post #613109 18th Nov 2021 10:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 17 of 58 <123 ... 161718 ... 565758>