Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > How to Prevent ...being stolen?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Bill

United Kingdom 

Has anyone thought about using a couple of stashed Apple air tags . Would they help. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #620714 20th Jan 2022 6:14pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

They use BT and "Find my mac" network. Could be of limited use But-----
There is an android app that can detect and locate the air tag which I am sure the scallywags are well up to date with.

They could easily attach a tag to your car so if you get an alert dont drive home!!! but again "any AirTag separated for a period of time from the person who registered it will make a sound to alert those nearby. If you find an AirTag after hearing it make a sound, you can use any device that has NFC, such as an iPhone or Android phone, to see if its owner marked it as lost and help return it." 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #620717 20th Jan 2022 6:53pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
They use BT and "Find my mac" network. Could be of limited use But-----

the find my Mac network is pretty cool it uses any nearby iPhone via bluetooth to bunnyhop broadcast it's location onto the internet

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #620727 20th Jan 2022 8:53pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

I had a total loss last year on a Golf. I’d bought it to munch miles on the motorway and did about 15k in 5 months. I’d bought it secondhand from VW for £11,750 and 5 months later the insurer offered £5k. I submitted ads for the same age, spec and mileage together with a lift of the text from the financial ombudsman’s site relating to definition of market value. They settled on £11,250.

Stick at at.

Post #620749 21st Jan 2022 9:49am
socialrover

United Kingdom 

Thanks Huttopia ,

thats really encouraging to hear .I am beginning to despair with their delaying tac tics - its been a week since I escalated to exec complaints and not heard a thing apart from the automated acknowledgement email in which they said they aim to reply within two working days ( that was Monday morning 10.00am !) . Week 7 since I lodged my original claim !

To know there is a possibility of a silver lining keeps me encouraged !

Post #620856 21st Jan 2022 9:39pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

Just reconcile yourself to doing their donkey work and finding several example ads and stick at it. Find out the MD of the insurance company and contact them directly- it is a ballache and shouldn’t be necessary but sadly it is. Good luck 🤞

Post #620857 21st Jan 2022 9:50pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Socialrover - naturally I have no insides in what you’ve already done. But to me you come across as too nice and going along with the flow.

Perhaps time to engage a lawyer and just get a factual letter issued to your insurance company in-line with what the terms of your insurance state. It’s ridiculous for it to go round in circles like that and take so much time.

Post #620899 22nd Jan 2022 10:41am
ilard

United Kingdom 

socialrover, I am intrigued as to which model year got stolen. 2018 plate, but was it pre-face lift? ie with xenon headlights? I am under the impression that newer Range Rovers are significantly less hackable.

I have factory Tracker Pro on mine and I get called on Eurotunnel, I get called when it’s being serviced and being jacked up on a lift. I am now in the habit of putting it in transport or service mode to avoid the calls. Something’s working!

I’d never bother with a steering lock or secondary immobiliser. But then I am satisfied with the factory security on my model. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #621029 23rd Jan 2022 3:02am
socialrover

United Kingdom 

Huttopia wrote:
Just reconcile yourself to doing their donkey work and finding several example ads and stick at it. Find out the MD of the insurance company and contact them directly- it is a ballache and shouldn’t be necessary but sadly it is. Good luck 🤞

i think your and Blackdogs sentiments are beginning to resonate with me .

If I don't hear back by Tuesday , I will email directly to the MD ( someone has provided me with an email via private message ) with a time line and some of the comments made by the insurance company i.e. "we only pay trade in value " and we cannot pay near to advertised prices as they include an amount for the dealers profit and hence its not what he car is worth .
My / the general understanding was that I would be paid the market value and quoted form their website

"This is the value your car would have held on the open market, if you had tried to sell it just before your accident or loss (written off, or stolen and not recovered). This is worked out by looking at what vehicles of the same make and model, similar age, condition and mileage are currently selling for."

The insurance company are interpreting this as a trade in value and refusing to look at adverts that I want to send them from auto trader etc !

Will keep you updated when / if I get a response .
But I am somewhat reassured about the potential route of going to the Ombudsman - although it shouldn't be like this !

Post #621037 23rd Jan 2022 8:52am
socialrover

United Kingdom 

ilard wrote:
socialrover, I am intrigued as to which model year got stolen. 2018 plate, but was it pre-face lift? ie with xenon headlights? I am under the impression that newer Range Rovers are significantly less hackable.

I have factory Tracker Pro on mine and I get called on Eurotunnel, I get called when it’s being serviced and being jacked up on a lift. I am now in the habit of putting it in transport or service mode to avoid the calls. Something’s working!

I’d never bother with a steering lock or secondary immobiliser. But then I am satisfied with the factory security on my model.

Hello Ilard ,

unfortunately it was the upgraded model with the new headlights and updated interior .

I also had the tracker pro and they were able to Jam the signal within 1.5 minutes of taking the car ( they pulled up about 1000 yards away from the house and thats when we lost the signal .

When in transport or service mode an alert still goes to the tracker company but they know there is a valid reason for the trigger and hence don't inform the owner .

I think , as it has been suggested on the forum , turning off keyless entry goes a long way to mitigate theft , because they can get your frequency by following you into the shops and then return back at a later date to open up your car ( irrespective of if you've double locked or not as they have your keys frequency captured on their device ) and drive away and then Jam the tracker .

This is information I have gleaned but I have no professional knowledge on the matter .

I think its the keyless push button start that is the culprit in all of this ?

Post #621041 23rd Jan 2022 9:07am
Nick C

United Kingdom 

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Ive sent you the information via a PM sir... Thumbs Up

Could I ask for the same, please! Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #621104 23rd Jan 2022 4:10pm
AndyViking

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I was once told by a policeman that all you can ever do with any form of security is make your property less attractive than the next one down the street.

Whatever we do, they will find a way around the problem or do a lot of damage if they fail. If they cannot pick up the key signal, or the signal fails to unlock the car, they will move on. They know double locked means that breaking the glass is a waste of time - they want this done in seconds not minutes and climbing through a broken window risks all sorts of things going awry.

Sadly, the day is not yet here when you can wire the car body up to the mains to give them a gentle "hello" for their troubles... 2017 SDV8 SV Autobiography ('67)
2016 TDV8 Vogue SE ('66)
2008 D3 HSE

Post #621264 24th Jan 2022 9:00pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I once had some clown try and break through my passenger window while I was parked in an airport car park for the day. Quite what he was going to nick I don't know as there was nothing on display or in reach. He didn't realise the side window on a RR is laminated so failed to breakthrough with his punch.

He did walk across my dashcam a few times that was still operating, which was a gift for the police and resulted in a successful prosecution. Hopefully he also learnt not to attempt to break in to RR's in future Smile MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #621267 24th Jan 2022 9:07pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

🤣🤣

In the Netherlands some were so dumb. I once forgot to slide out my pioneer 1 din radio in my Saab 900 turbo. Window smashed, radio stolen. But ahem, they missed the 50 note that I also left in the car 🤣 Would have been more than the radio on the black market.

Post #621274 24th Jan 2022 9:50pm
socialrover

United Kingdom 

Hi just an update for interest

After a number of conversations and a complaint all the way to the MD of Esure , they refuse to budge from offering trade in value ( which is approx £6k less than anything comparable like for like that I can find anywhere on the net )

It seems they really are trying to mitigate against the strong current prices .

I have decided to take it to the Ombudsman - just out of interest if nothing else .Will be interesting to see the ombudsmans interpretation of the term " market value " .

Plus we are now in week 8 and still no interim payment made .

Post #622570 5th Feb 2022 4:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234