Home > My Range Rover > L322 td6 project and defender replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wk52RR

England 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green
L322 td6 project and defender replacement

Hello All

Haven’t posted on here for a bit but thought I’d keep a little maintenance blog of my newest acquisition. Some may call me utterly mental for what I’ve just bought. So without further ado.

I have owned for the last week a 2003 Range Rover l322 vogue td6. With a staggering 230,000 miles. This is my third Range Rover, having owned a td6 and a tdv8 already. This one however isn’t quite as scary because it will only be a second car to replace my old 200tdi defender. Unfortunately a 90 doesn’t suit the carrying requirements and towing is a lot safer with all the tech on the Range Rover.

Now it’s in remarkable condition with full service history. Not a single parking dent or paint blemish can be found and she’s as straight as a die. Rust is also something it is lacking the sills are very good. One wheel arch has had a repair but that’s it. Everything works apart from the hill descent control but I think the switch has packed up as the check light comes on on start up and there are no ABS faults present. It has some awful 20 inch aftermarket wheels which will be switched with some factory 18’s. It drives well however all the turbo hoses are original and badly perished and the vacuum hoses for the vanes on the turbo have completely split. So this will all be replaced.

It is extremely original except the gearbox (obviously) and the wheels. Currently undergoing a full service and check over. With the gearbox being top of the list.
One error I did find on the way home is that it cut out and would struggle to start again. It did have only 40 miles of range left and this happened going uphill. Got a gallon of diesel and started up and carried on but then cut out again about 10 miles further in but on the flat. I’m hoping this was just low fuel as she starts really well although initially on 5 cylinders it sounds like for the first 5 seconds or so.

With any luck many pictures to follow this thread.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #624655 24th Feb 2022 7:11pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Nice one Thumbs Up I would not describe you as mental, just suffering from a bad case of Rangeroveritis. Hope all goes well. Bow down Bow down Will look forwards to reading updates.

Post #624659 24th Feb 2022 7:50pm
Wk52RR

Gearbox is on the cards for tomorrow. So let’s see where we are with that.

Post #624663 24th Feb 2022 8:09pm
Wk52RR

Gearbox oil change done and it was pretty black.

Don’t think it will be on supermarket shelves anytime soon

Click image to enlarge

Nice clean sump and magnet

Click image to enlarge

New filter

Click image to enlarge

Post #624711 25th Feb 2022 10:42am
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Nice job of the gearbox service! 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Just one Montesa now, 349 White Wonder
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #624776 26th Feb 2022 7:40am
Slow progress

United Kingdom 

If there’s a fix for the HDC I’d be interested as I get a similar message on start up

Post #624808 26th Feb 2022 2:24pm
Wk52RR

Few jobs managed over the weekend.
First I wanted to remove all error messages when starting the car. I was getting check brake pads and check coolant. These errors were not caused by low coolant or low brake pads so some new sensors were required. Ordered a rear brake wear sensor and fitted. Not that exciting nor that tricky. But problem sorted

Click image to enlarge

Next was check coolant error, when I bought the Range Rover the previous owner supplied a brand new coolant sensor and expansion tank and so I thought why not replace the lot.

Click image to enlarge

Then removal of the isolator switch a previous owner fitted as it was an eye sore and potential for failure

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I was glad to find that the wiring hadn’t been cut or shortened so returning the battery wiring to factory was easy.

Last job for the weekend was to change the air filter and I didn’t expect it to be as bad as it was. The car had a relatively new fuel filter, I’d say within the last 6 months, it also had a vortex oil breather fitted at some point which was on my to do list. But here is the old filter and new filter

Click image to enlarge

Then found this so need to replace all the vacuum lines

Click image to enlarge

Gave the engine cover a slight spruce up

Click image to enlarge

Post #624960 28th Feb 2022 7:57am
Wk52RR

Todays jobs put the 18 inch wheels on that I picked up last Friday. These have about half tread left on them and a matching set of general grabber GT’s on them. All four for £150 is a bargain. Some may wonder why switch from a 20 inch wheel to an 18. Firstly I don’t like aftermarket wheels on an l322 they still look up market and I feel the wheels that came with mine were bad taste for such a vehicle. Also not knowing what brand the wheels were or the quality or the load rating I thought it’s best to go to a standard Land Rover wheel. Also this was bought as a replacement for a defender so I want lots of wheel choices and sidewall for off-road work. Plus I really like the pre facelift with the smaller wheel size.

Next job was doing the vacuum lines which meant taking off the inlet manifold and fitting the egr delete. Over 200,000 miles with the egr and the manifold is pretty badly blocked.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And every vacuum line is completely rotten, they’ve all gone very brittle and just crumbled when trying to remove them.

Hopefully after doing the vacuum lines and I let cleaning there should be quite a noticeable improvement.

Post #625066 1st Mar 2022 10:26am
Wk52RR

Cleaning has commenced on the intake. It’s not perfect but certainly improved and with the egr delete fitted it won’t get that bad again. After cleaning 2 ports on the engine itself.

Click image to enlarge

Much cleaner

Click image to enlarge

Nice new vacuum lines

Click image to enlarge

Post #625123 1st Mar 2022 8:15pm
Wk52RR

Just a few small jobs today. Fitted the egr delete when I did the inlet manifold so today was getting rid of the egr cooler. Most wouldn’t bother with this but after having quite a few m57 powered cars I’ve had the egr cooler fail allowing coolant in the engine where it shouldn’t be, it also allows far better access to the front of the engine especially with the viscous fan permanently removed as well.

Click image to enlarge

I will also be fitting a Renault 5 thermostat when it arrives.

Post #625310 4th Mar 2022 10:31am
Wk52RR

Haven’t posted on this for a while but not much to update. Was made redundant at the end of March and as the Range Rover is a second car it hasn’t been used much. However first real task called for a tow vehicle.

One light aircraft loaded up From Usk in Wales and brought back to Devon. The Range Rover performed faultlessly and although it was a very long day as the aircraft needed to be disassembled, it was a perfect tow car and cemented it’s reputation.

Post #632723 23rd May 2022 10:15pm
will308f

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

very nice mate .....keep it up Thumbs Up

Post #632818 24th May 2022 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1