AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

And rightly so Cool BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #625360 4th Mar 2022 7:53pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Damn, I just came back on here to delete my post, too much Friday evening wine, but too late. Geoff

Post #625364 4th Mar 2022 8:24pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

@supershuttle that’s where I am with cars, when I first got the bmw i3 I became obsessed with battery performance, charging logistics etc eventually it just became a burden and I switched to just enjoying the car and treating it like a car. The i3 was great, like a little go kart but very impractical in other ways so switched to Tesla which was a real joy and much less hassle due to the network support for charging. The current vw id3 is a stop gap whilst we wait for the next EV which is due delivery next year. The ID3 in my view and after 12k miles is the worst ev I have driven Sad

Post #625365 4th Mar 2022 8:31pm
AJGalaxy2012

I went the opposite way from Tesla to the i3 but for different reasons. I worked in USA for around 6 months in a contract programming role. The company provided me with a Tesla Model X, I had never been in an EV before and I had regular 500 mile trips to make. The model X was a complete revelation and absolutely sold me on EV's. I wasnt in a strong financial position but I wanted an electric car, selling my L322 and my caravan gave me most of the funding for a just under 3 year old i3 which was the vehicle I bought. I have not looked back from any angle, it doesnt have the presence of the L322 on the road but it is very comfortable, sufficient space, very entertaining to drive and save thousands on running costs.
I would like a model S or a model X for sure, I think the next step will be Hyundai Ioniq 5 which is a stunning looking vehicle with great performance and good range. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #625382 5th Mar 2022 4:52am
AJGalaxy2012

supershuttle wrote:
Damn, I just came back on here to delete my post, too much Friday evening wine, but too late.

Geoff, EV drivers need motorists like you to keep buying very expensive cars attracting luxury tax, consuming vast amounts of fuel which again swell the government coffers. Only because of people like you can we EV drivers have free road tax, cheap fuel with zero road fuel penalties etc.

So on behalf of all EV drivers I'd like to thank you Geoff and all of your fellow Range Roverists Bow down BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #625383 5th Mar 2022 4:57am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter You’re welcome. Although I can see folk starting go fund me pages for fuel soon Mr. Green

Post #625385 5th Mar 2022 7:19am
AJGalaxy2012

LOL light hearted banter in these difficult times, Ive just got the renewal of my tariffs, off peak up by 50% to 7.5p, peak nearly tripled to 29.2 and gas tripled to 9.4p.
I'm taking steps to min9imise the impact by battery storage which should result in a drop of my energy spend overall.
The situation with Russia and the impact it's having on non connected parts of fuel pricing is scary, why should day rates increase? why should electricity increase when most of it is made by renewables? why should our gas prices be hiked we get most of our own and the rest we import from Norway.
Lets hope Putin backs down from this as quick as he built it up, the rest of the world are having a rethink about dealing with Russia for energy in the future, it will certainly be an economic disaster for Russia. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #625386 5th Mar 2022 7:40am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Agreed, our rate in the office has rocketed to 41p per KWh. I’ve bought 3 gas heaters that use 15kg bottles, it’s the only way I can have control over spend , my landlord controls the leccy unfortunately. Came off a fix in December that was around 19p per kWh.

Post #625387 5th Mar 2022 8:05am
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It's all very well harping on about how cheap EV's are to run and you can't argue that, but the amount more that they cost to buy in the first place buys a hell of a lot of fossil fuel. One of the other unaddressed issues for the government in going electric is the ginormouse resulting hole in tax revenue from fuel sales, who is going to plug that one? As usual it hasn't been thought through.

By the way, there's loads of fossil fuel available and it's relatively easy to get at, but we won't touch it because of the political situation. It's also lead us into the stupid position we're in now, where we're quite happy to abdicate our polution elsewhere (Russia perhaps?) so that we can crow about our eco credentials, then be held to ransom by stupid fuel prices (which won't reduce polution). Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #625395 5th Mar 2022 10:02am
AJGalaxy2012

The initial cost isnt really relevant it's the residual cost after that needs to be taken into account, if it costs 30% more than an ICE vehicle to buy but it's worth 50% more than the ICE vehicle at 3 years old then its a winner.

Oil reserves are not easy to get at now, many fields coming to end of life, new fields deeper / further out and have less depth to them making the drilling far more complex. Oil companies are not doing the exploration because of the massively increased costs accessing these fields. My last rotation offshore was in the Black Sea, relatively shallow fields but gas was located not oil so the wells were abandoned. In view of the recent price rises the oil companies may start some more exploration but it will guarantee the price stays high or rises further. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #625424 5th Mar 2022 1:34pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:
LOL light hearted banter in these difficult times, Ive just got the renewal of my tariffs, off peak up by 50% to 7.5p, peak nearly tripled to 29.2 and gas tripled to 9.4p.
I'm taking steps to min9imise the impact by battery storage which should result in a drop of my energy spend overall.
The situation with Russia and the impact it's having on non connected parts of fuel pricing is scary, why should day rates increase? why should electricity increase when most of it is made by renewables? why should our gas prices be hiked we get most of our own and the rest we import from Norway.
Lets hope Putin backs down from this as quick as he built it up, the rest of the world are having a rethink about dealing with Russia for energy in the future, it will certainly be an economic disaster for Russia.

Quite !!!! shout from the roof tops . The cost of nuclear hasn’t gone up, nor the cost of making the wind blow. Together they supply about 60/70% of the nations needs. Energydashboard.co.U.K.

EDF my supplier hits 60 percent nuclear and 30 percent wind in a year

So their costs haven’t gone up mine have more than doubled in a year. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #626067 13th Mar 2022 11:40am
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

rvbush wrote:
One of the other unaddressed issues for the government in going electric is the ginormouse resulting hole in tax revenue from fuel sales, who is going to plug that one? As usual it hasn't been thought through.

That's why smart motorways and road pricing will be here soon....... Shocked Shocked 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #626074 13th Mar 2022 1:33pm
AJGalaxy2012

Bill wrote:
[

Quite !!!! shout from the roof tops . The cost of nuclear hasn’t gone up, nor the cost of making the wind blow. Together they supply about 60/70% of the nations needs. Energydashboard.co.U.K.

EDF my supplier hits 60 percent nuclear and 30 percent wind in a year

So their costs haven’t gone up mine have more than doubled in a year.

They've taken the opportunity to increase the standing charges too, how can that be justified?

J BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #626097 13th Mar 2022 7:31pm
Full-fat-Lance

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

I read an article on the standing charges during the week. Lots of reasons given, including things such as maintenance costs increasing, staffing costs increasing and covering the costs of transferring and taking on customers from failed suppliers.

Post #626120 13th Mar 2022 11:58pm
RRover

2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Causeway Grey

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:
supershuttle wrote:
Damn, I just came back on here to delete my post, too much Friday evening wine, but too late.

Geoff, EV drivers need motorists like you to keep buying very expensive cars attracting luxury tax, consuming vast amounts of fuel which again swell the government coffers. Only because of people like you can we EV drivers have free road tax, cheap fuel with zero road fuel penalties etc.

So on behalf of all EV drivers I'd like to thank you Geoff and all of your fellow Range Roverists Bow down

Your joy will all come crashing down just as soon as the donkey-carrot subsidies are extinguished - maybe even this year, if the plan all goes right for them. Maybe keep a wee patrol vehicle just in case...

Must admit this is a good pro-E drive thread...

Post #628530 13th Apr 2022 7:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123