Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Cheeky :censored:
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

I can't comment on most of the above goings on - mainly as I wasn't there, however, It's not unusual for a master tech to be doing the vehicle health check if they've been given a diagnostic job like yours. It would be more unusual for someone else to do it if it wasn't 'their' job.

I've worked for S(h)ytner, there is a lot of pressure on the techs to upsell tyres & brakes, Master tech's tend to get a raw deal in terms of mainly working on in-warranty vehicles where there is little opportunity to sell anything, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the motivation for knocking a couple of mm off the brake measurements - and yes, S(h)ytner, along with every other major dealer have an obligation to carry out a visual health check and supporting video as mandated by the vehicle manufacturer and internal policies and practices.
Our own VHC & video target is 95% - with the other 5% being 'trade' vehicles and internal (AU & PDI). I also take a lot of photo's and videos where there may be 'contention' over cause, diagnosis or liability. Stops most disputes before they get started.

Post #637533 21st Jul 2022 11:14pm
Golden age

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black

Thanks Phoenix , that certainly explains / resonates with my experience ...leaves a bitter taste in the mouth knowing they tried to have one over you though ...especially as blatantly as what Sheffield were trying to get away with .

Post #637535 21st Jul 2022 11:25pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

I know there's some that won't believe this, as I work for a (non-JLR) 'stealer', most tech's will only identify work that genuinely requires doing - some of the vehicles presented have brakes in a truly shocking condition, sometimes only 50% ow the working area of the brake sics are effective, the inner face is often the worst, with the driver seemingly oblivious to any defect - which is the point of the VHC & video, along with being a selling tool.

Now I do think a lot of problems are caused by local management being rigid with the implementation of upsell levels, BSM / Vertu for example, have a value per vehicle that varies by marque, their Volvo dealership had an upsell value of £236 per vehicle - that was the same for a service or master tech. Where I am now, there is a management focus on 'red work' (items identified as 'critical' on the VHC) but taken as a measure over the whole workshop, individual levels are still monitored for under or overperformance though. The thing is, the tech's are monitored on items identified - I could, and have, identified work worth several thousands of pounds on one vehicle, good for my figures, but bad for the service 'advisor' (another word for receptionist & salesperson) as their conversion rate will take a hit if they can't sell the work.
Tech's don't earn bonus on upsell, depending on the company, some service advisors do.

Post #637538 22nd Jul 2022 7:36am
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It's high time that upselling was made illegal, everyone is at it. It's actually trying to sell you something that you really don't need and if it's replacement wear parts on a car then to me it is sailing very close to misrepresentation. Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #637554 22nd Jul 2022 10:20am
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

rvbush - Totally agree Thumbs Up

Post #637557 22nd Jul 2022 11:54am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

I see your point, however, if your brake pads were at 2mm thickness (min is 1.5) and your brake discs were close to or below min. thickness, would you still say that is upsell or notification of a maintenance item that needs attention? We only 'red work' tyres that are below 3mm tread depth.
Should we tell you about a split CV boot, because that would be in our upsell figures?

Post #637579 22nd Jul 2022 3:39pm
Golden age

Rather than 'get' more money out of me Sheffield have now lost me as a customer for ever .

I made it known to Chesterfield as to why I now frequent them rather than Sheffield .Like many of us on this forum we know a thing or two about cars ( if not more experienced than some of the techs we deal with ) , I personally have been running cars for over 50 years .

The audacity of some 20 something ( usually female staff member...on the service counter ) , telling me that I need this and that without a second of consideration or respect that the 60+ year old bloke they are trying to blag may have been an owner of a car longer that they have been born is quite condescending and arrogant ...not to mention downside disrespectful !

Uphill battle i know as most fleet managers ( who are not paying out of their pockets ) will usually Ok any work presented to them and the stealerships know this and continue to milk this situation .

Post #637581 22nd Jul 2022 3:50pm
Golden age

Thanks for the insight Phoenix , its useful to know and goes some way to explaining the dynamics / pressures behind the scenes .

Post #637583 22nd Jul 2022 4:23pm
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
I see your point, however, if your brake pads were at 2mm thickness (min is 1.5) and your brake discs were close to or below min. thickness, would you still say that is upsell or notification of a maintenance item that needs attention? We only 'red work' tyres that are below 3mm tread depth.
Should we tell you about a split CV boot, because that would be in our upsell figures?

Phoenix, none of the examples you give would be upselling, they would be good advice because the work clearly needs doing soon.

I just hate upselling, it's an underhand business practice used by money grabbing companies and it stinks. It happened to my Wife only last week at the Vets, our puppy (8 mth GSD) needed an operation to remove two teeth and the vet asked if we wanted anything else doing while she was under anaesthetic (?), such as claws clipping (ah, ok) - on an 8mth of puppy with visibly perfectly good claw length. Utter tosh and shouldn't be allowed. Now, if the dog actually did need her claws clipping it would have been good advice, what it actually was was an attempt to get us to agree to them doing something that didn't need doing and lining their pockets even more! Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #637588 22nd Jul 2022 5:31pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

rv i hope the dog is well and healthy now.

Post #637701 24th Jul 2022 10:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12