Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > It's first real long trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Barmybrummie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
It's first real long trip

So Thursday morning i shall be taking the fat thing on its very first long drive to the Highlands for holiday. It's having a full service at the moment so hopefully that should keep her running tiptop for the journey there and back, please just no bongs. Be looking to do around 2000 miles, not worried about the fuel as my boss said i can use a fuel card so thats a bonus. I'll be stopping at a gorgeous historic fishing port for the night on the way up at eyemouth. Then onto loch Ness Friday morning to the log cabin for 9 nights. Not looking to be doing 90mph all the way, just a nice steady drive sharing the driving with the missus and my princess in the back watching dvds on the rear entertainment. Took a nice steady drive to Bristol on Monday morning and got an average of 33mpg, does that seem about right? I've never really thought about mpg since I've had it. If anybody about from here local to loch Ness care to meet for a coffee somewhere up there, that be great.
I'm so looking forward to the drive i really am, just a real nice comfy easy drive in the fatty. The missus is more excited than i am, she only drove it once 2 miles down the road. So, let's see how the fatty gets on.

Post #639816 16th Aug 2022 1:28pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Enjoy Barmybrummie, not a nicer place to be (weather dependant Very Happy )

Post #639817 16th Aug 2022 1:37pm
Barmybrummie

Thanks Rosco, we usually go abroad but with some restrictions still in place and the disruptions with flights and at the airports, we thought sod it lets go Scotland. Missus never been so it's a first her.

Post #639820 16th Aug 2022 1:53pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Keep it below 70mph and the mpg should be ‘reasonable’….. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #639822 16th Aug 2022 2:20pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Enjoy your trip Smile

A well sorted FFRR is one of the best cars for a road trip IMO!

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #639823 16th Aug 2022 2:35pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Spent the past week in the tin-tent near L.Ness and it was great. Car hit 38deg on the display last Friday, but once on the move it dropped to 28deg.

Click image to enlarge

Sadly, it's not looking quite so good on the weather front for you in the coming week, but I guess it all depends upon what you're intending to do while you're there. The only thing I'd advise against is anything to do with the NW500. The place is rammed full of large hired camper vans who don't know how to drive and who don't understand single track roads. It's a real shame, but we're all hoping (locals) that things return to some kind of normal once the Covid/Flights fiasco is over. The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #639824 16th Aug 2022 2:39pm
Barmybrummie

Yes I've just read jmc, floods in Inverness. I don't mind a bit of rain to be honest, As long as it's still warm. Be doing a bit of sightseeing and will be staying away from the nw500, save that for another time. You had nice weather for your trip then, nice photos.
I'll see what mpg i actually do get out of it. I'm used to driving at 56mph driving a truck so a nice 65-70 on the motorways and then 50mph on the A9 which i think is full of average speed cameras. That's when the missus can drive. Be a pleasure to drive in the fatty such a long distance with the cruise control on.

Post #639856 16th Aug 2022 6:07pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Done a few trips to the Highlands in my FFRRs. The perfect car for the trip IMHO

Post #639866 16th Aug 2022 7:44pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
Re: It's first real long trip

Barmybrummie wrote:
So Thursday morning i shall be taking the fat thing on its very first long drive to the Highlands for holiday. It's having a full service at the moment so hopefully that should keep her running tiptop for the journey there and back, please just no bongs. Be looking to do around 2000 miles, not worried about the fuel as my boss said i can use a fuel card so thats a bonus. I'll be stopping at a gorgeous historic fishing port for the night on the way up at eyemouth. Then onto loch Ness Friday morning to the log cabin for 9 nights. Not looking to be doing 90mph all the way, just a nice steady drive sharing the driving with the missus and my princess in the back watching dvds on the rear entertainment. Took a nice steady drive to Bristol on Monday morning and got an average of 33mpg, does that seem about right? I've never really thought about mpg since I've had it. If anybody about from here local to loch Ness care to meet for a coffee somewhere up there, that be great.
I'm so looking forward to the drive i really am, just a real nice comfy easy drive in the fatty. The missus is more excited than i am, she only drove it once 2 miles down the road. So, let's see how the fatty gets on.

If you have a day trip out to the West, go to Fort William and catch the Steam Train to Malaig. I had breakfast on train with the most amazing scenic views going by. Fish and chip lunch in Malaig which looks straight out onto the Atlantic, local fresh caught fish. Then afternoon tea on the Steam Train going back, it was absolute heaven. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #639868 16th Aug 2022 8:14pm
Barmybrummie

That's sounded like a real delight AJ until i went to book. Fully booked for the whole time of our stay so that's out the window. Rather gutted now as it looked like a great day out. Oh well cable car up Ben Nevis and a coffee at the café it is then.

Post #639889 16th Aug 2022 10:54pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

My folks tried to get on that train last week but were told it’s was fully booked until end of September.

Shame as it looks an amazing trip.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #639894 16th Aug 2022 11:55pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Barmybrummie wrote:
That's sounded like a real delight AJ until i went to book. Fully booked for the whole time of our stay so that's out the window. Rather gutted now as it looked like a great day out. Oh well cable car up Ben Nevis and a coffee at the café it is then.

Keep it on the bucket list LOL, another time, it is well worth it. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #639897 17th Aug 2022 7:30am
Huggybearfezzy

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Orkney Grey

Enjoy your trip. We went last year and the FFRR is the perfect car for it. If you're going over towards the west on the way up Glen Etive is a nice little stop. They filmed a great scene from 007 Skyfall there. See photos from our visit.

Also, I found the fuel stations in Inverness (Tesco) were reasonably priced last year...we were up there during the apparent fuel shortages where most of England was panic buying yet there were no queues in Scotland.

Post #639898 17th Aug 2022 8:30am
Barmybrummie

I'll bear that in mind AJ. My missus never been to the Highlands before but i have so hopefully she'll want to go again and we'll book the train well in advance.

Looks stunning there huggy, I'm sure we'll be stopping off here there and everywhere. I'll be getting plenty of pics of the fatty too.

Post #639992 17th Aug 2022 9:04pm
Barmybrummie

Arrived at loch Ness today earlier than expected from leaving eyemouth and what such an amazingly comfortable drive it was indeed. Brimmed the tank in Lichfield and still have a 1/4 tank of fuel left and done 498 miles averaging 33mpg. Did a steady 70mph on the clock but satnav was saying 67mph but I'm well impressed. Both took it in turns to drive and the comfort is unbelievable. Didn't feel tired or cramped and still just as fresh as though we just left. I can't see me having any other car than a full fat me thinks.

Post #640233 19th Aug 2022 8:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>