Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.4 TDV8 Oil Leak Fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 32 of 36 <123 ... 313233 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Best to replace the oil cooler as it can warp and leak again. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #645942 19th Oct 2022 10:33am
fmgl322

Germany 

I recently changed the oil pipe O-rings, only to cause an even bigger oil leak afterwards! I think the pressure build up caused the “main” oil leak to get worse. I have a whole new oil cooler ready to be installed, complete with a donut scrub and a few other bits and pieces along the way.

The bell housing on mine is thick with years of old oil drips and I’ll be getting in there with gallons of brake cleaner to get that all spruced up. Interestingly, when I bought the car, the undertray was “missing” and the engine was open to the elements, and a folder full of car wash receipts, including underbody treatment every time, gave the game away. For the cost of those washes, he could have had the cooler changed out at a main dealer… go figure.

I just decided to replace the whole cooler rather than just the gaskets. That’s going to be followed by a complete service and coolant change, so that’s me good for the winter! -------------------------
2012 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
2001 Audi A2 1.4 16V
2019 Skoda Kodiaq (don't ask...)

Post #645945 19th Oct 2022 10:53am
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Jamesonfox wrote:
If oil is in the coolant, can this be fixed by replacing the two gaskets on the oil cooler? Or must the entire oil cooler unit be replaced instead?

Not wishing to go against the grain of popular opinion...... but...... Whistle

I only changed my gaskets and O-rings on New Years day! Had the cooler off, cleaned and visually inspected. I didn't change the oil cooler, as I felt that the stories about warped coolers might just be a bit of a sales technique - most garages (including independents) like to go the easy route and take your money for unbolting/replacing parts.

Nearly a year down the line and approaching 10kmiles later - everything is still 'hunky dory'! In short, the whole sorting the cooler leak 'thing' cost me £50!! The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #645969 19th Oct 2022 4:37pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

66,000 kms since I changed just the gaskets. I wouldn't be surprised if they leak again as they were the original part number gaskets rather than the new part numbers which hopefully are made of more heat-resistant material. My EGR is currently still functional so heat from the EGR cooler is still heating the oil cooler.

Post #645984 19th Oct 2022 7:48pm
blackpool

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Hello @JMC

I can assure you the stories of warped coolers are not a sales technique. I attach an image of the split in mine.

I only discovered the cracks at the back of the aluminium housing using a borescope.

FYI : The cracks closed once the cooler was off the car.

Click image to enlarge

Post #648100 14th Nov 2022 10:36pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Thanks for the heads-up 'blackpool'.... Wink

All I can say is that I checked mine thoroughly when it was on the granite worktop in the kitchen - much to my wife's dismay! Laughing

Click image to enlarge
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #648111 15th Nov 2022 7:08am
Westridge177

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Kinger wrote:
Sun was shining today as the postie arrived with my Viton O rings, so i thought i may as well do the job right away.
I allowed an hour to do the job and i did it in around 40 minutes by the time i had been asked what was wrong with it by 3 neighbours,

I read this thread from start to finish and pretty much every aspect of this job has been covered.
My own tip though....instead of taping the first groove i cut the back one out and replaced it leaving the old first seal in place and sliding the new one past it

The other thing i havent seen mention of is just how brittle the seals get, mine were almost hard plastic like and i could snap them easily...no wonder they leaked, my car has only around 67,000 on the clock

The hardest part, i found was lining the holes up and getting the bolt back in ...
Anyhow, i took the car for a run and searched for leaks after and i couldnt find any, illl check again next week to be on the safe side.
I had a good look around the oil cooler and looks like mine is OK with no sign of a leak
I took a few pics although most of them will have been seen on other posts.
Cheers
Mike

Well done on the tip of leaving the first seal in place and changing the inner one first, I’m a boiler engineer and was getting ready to drop that one instead of wrapping tape around an oily component.

Post #655475 2nd Feb 2023 10:09pm
Smoggie35

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Guys,

Anyone had any recent dealings with Duckworth’s and if so is Rob still the main contact?
I have the dreaded oil leak from the under tray so looking to order some bits up to do a full seal change plus the top coolant hose hose in case the small spigot snaps as is covered in an earlier post.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #656765 15th Feb 2023 4:29pm
Jimmies

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Bournville

Just did this myself.

First thing I did was just to replace the seals on the pipe at the back....thought it fixed it but a week later it started again. Then replaced both seals on the cooler but was still getting fluid coming out.....then swapped a new cooler in and I....think...it is fixed. Only 24hours since it has been back together

Click image to enlarge

I went for a cheaper non original cooler and had to tap the threads for the pipe at the back as it was not going to happen with it as it was.... it is an m6 1.0 thread

Post #657067 18th Feb 2023 2:16pm
Smoggie35

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

@Jimmies.
Thanks for the details.
Rob got back in touch with some prices so going to go for a full seal change whilst I have it stripped down and hope that solves the leak.
Judging by what yourself and others have done, if that fails then a cooler it will be.
Service is due soon so was wanting to get it done before then.
Cheers Razz Thumbs Up

Post #657080 18th Feb 2023 6:46pm
jaysta10k

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Hi guys I have had all the same issues here symptoms burning oil smell smoke from back of engine only when car is warmed up horrible fumes in cabin so had oil cooler replaced 3 weeks ago but still the same fumes and smoke so now thinking its the pipe that feeds into the back of oil cooler the o rings as Craig said at start of this thread. Is this the same setup then for the L405 as the L322 this pipe that feeds the back of oil cooler causing the issue.
Cheers
Jay Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 SVO Stying Pack
Audi A4 2.7 TDI S Line Black Edition phantomn black
Previous Cars
Range Rover Vogue SE Overfinch Styling 22" Elara's full black stealth colour coded
Java black Range Rover sport 2.7 TDV6
Alaska white Range Rover sport overfinch 3.6 TDV8
BMW M3 Carbon Black

Post #658426 4th Mar 2023 11:23am
GraemeS

Yes.

Post #658487 5th Mar 2023 1:56am
RBFFRR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Fuji White

Can anyone tell me what size bolt is used for the feed pipe at the rear? Mine has snapped!! Getting a new cooler, does it come with the bolts for the pipe? TIA

Post #658563 5th Mar 2023 6:21pm
GraemeS

The bolt is M6 x 12mm according to Microcat 2012. The same size bolt is used to hold brackets on the branch of the pipe that heads towards the secondary turbo.

Post #658573 5th Mar 2023 7:52pm
RBFFRR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Fuji White

Thanks Graham. I thought it might have been an M5 as the head is 8mm and the shaft is 5.5mm wide.

Post #658576 5th Mar 2023 8:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 32 of 36 <123 ... 313233 343536>