Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Do or don’t - opportunity or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dartanjang

Sweden 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Thanks all for your feedback. The auction is tonight and I think I will just watch it from a distance.

I am rather careful with my vehicle and have as an extra measure always performed extra oil change in between the regular services. It's no protection from failure I know, but I personally think that the service intervals are too long and that an engine oil reasonably should be changed before 15000 km:s, long life or not.

The vehicle in question might be a gem but the gamble is too big I reckon. I will bide my time and continue to keep a lookout. If the current economic situation prevails, I suspect that second hand prices will drop some in the future. Patience may pay off.

Post #650076 7th Dec 2022 10:05am
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Gremlin500 wrote:
@cass:

There’s a survey on here that proves it’s an internet myth, most are trouble-free.

I'm a great believer in debunking internet myths and agree that most TDV6's will be trouble free however the TDV6 story isn't a myth and a considerable number will fail. I've no doubt that the problem has been hugely exaggerated.
The survey you linked to is meaningless, it shows that 20 odd people didn't have a problem and nobody did have a problem however there are at least half a dozen people on here who have had first hand experience of this failure. I recall that one even had the replacement engine fail after a few weeks.
Had these people ticked the box on the survey it would have suggested a failure rate of at least 25% - wildly inaccurate as is 0%.
I would guess that most folks who had been stung for a new engine would be so p1$$ed off that they will have abandoned the brand and forum hence not voted.
My post to the OP was to make him aware of the problem in case he didn't know about it, your comment about the "brave pill" was about right - earlyish TDV6 with an uncertain history = run away in my book.

Post #650078 7th Dec 2022 10:41am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Balanced views are rarely meaningless. People can read this thread, and the others and make their minds up. Each to their own.

Bottom line for all:
This is not an LR Discovery or RRS forum. If you don’t fancy an L405 TDv6, don’t buy one, nor would it be fair to unwittingly/ inadvertently trash the fitness for purpose of other forum owners’ L405 TDv6. We have had one for 6 years and it’s superb. I’d buy another one in a heartbeat, provided it has been, evidently well maintained. Other regular members have the L405 TDv6 too and have had no issues. Some have but how many have been left high and dry in the event of a major failure? I was asked for advice (off line) by one forum owner whose L405 crankshaft failed. I told them what I had learned and knew. They got it repaired at no cost to them.

Many regular members have had faultless L405 TDV8, some have had major issues.

No cars are guaranteed trouble free. To the prospective L405 buyers:
Read up, pick you car of choice, pay your money and, like the rest of us, take your chance and hopefully you’ll have picked a great vehicle Thumbs Up

Post #650115 7th Dec 2022 5:40pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

@PLD118:

Couldn't have summed it up better myself! Bow down Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #650117 7th Dec 2022 6:18pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

pld118 wrote:

No cars are guaranteed trouble free. To the prospective L405 buyers:
Read up, pick you car of choice, pay your money and, like the rest of us, take your chance and hopefully you’ll have picked a great vehicle Thumbs Up

Also completely agree with this Thumbs Up

Assess the risk, make your own judgement and either accept the risk or not. Just like walking out of your front door every day. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #650119 7th Dec 2022 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12