Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Has anyone used jet automotive or automotive control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tezza

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
Has anyone used jet automotive or automotive control

I'm literally about to bite the bullet on an ID Core carplay setup from unique auto developments. I don't fancy the install myself and have looked at their approved installers, narrowing down to either jet automotive in Newport or Automotive control in Bristol.

Just wondered if anyone has experience with either of these two? Or potentially recommendations for someone you would trust to have the dash and screen out of your L322 and get it all back together properly 🙂

Thanks in advance

Post #647577 7th Nov 2022 1:11pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

what about Craig at cam-tec? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #647592 7th Nov 2022 1:56pm
tezza

Didn't cross my mind, worth a shot though, will ask the question Thumbs Up

Post #647602 7th Nov 2022 5:47pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Craig knows his stuff and you'll get the job done properly... Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #647603 7th Nov 2022 6:10pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Thanks Stan... Bow down

I fitted several of them sir... Including one in my own car... Thumbs Up

Post #647645 8th Nov 2022 1:48am
tezza

This was a very good call Stan Thumbs Up got the car back today and super happy knowing the job has been done properly! The car got some needed tlc at the same time too so win win

My thanks to Craig, it was nice to finally meet you (and your four legged beasts too!! ) see you again in another 5k miles (and in the nicest possible way, hopefully no sooner Laughing)

For anyone else wanting to go down this route who is within reach of camtech it's simply a no brainer, it ended up costing no more than I was quoted by the generic installers who's experience with this car is an unknown.

As far as the idcore system itself goes, too early to tell, definitely dial down that master volume setting and spend some time playing with the eq a bit, by default the volume is maxed out and it does not sound good. I am not an audiophile but after some initial tweaking I'm happy with the sound. Everything else seems positive and it looks pretty awesome in a 10 year old car. Attached a couple of pics, please... No judgement on the choice of music Wink

Post #648292 16th Nov 2022 10:52pm
TDV8 Paul

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Looks great, can you switch back to the car’s original system- for instance if you had the rear entertainment and wanted to use it for the kids? 2007 TDV8 Vogue SE
2005 BMW E63 645ci
2009 5.0 SC fatty
2024 Porsche Macan

Post #649008 24th Nov 2022 10:58am
Ramblin Man

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

So the website says “all factory functions retained including rear entertainment”

https://id-core.co.uk/product/land-rover-r...interface/

Would someone be able to post a picture of the 4x4 screens working with this or the car set up menus or timed aux heating ? TDV8 4.4 2012

Post #649016 24th Nov 2022 1:17pm
tezza

Yes RSE should work just fine although I haven’t tested it (never had any need to use rse to date), I’ll test it out this weekend.

Overall I am really happy with this system, it isn’t totally perfect for sure but it has made a huge difference.

I have a minor niggle with Google maps voice control but I want to update to the latest firmwares before I get into details.

Post #649021 24th Nov 2022 2:16pm
tezza

For those wanting to see how the original system is still intact I popped up a very short video. I’ll do a full review at some point after I’ve lived with the system for a while and found all of the little niggles but in the meantime

Not in the video but I did a really quick test of RSE, all appears to be working in the back with carplay running up front.

Post #649396 28th Nov 2022 9:41pm
Maccaa

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Any update on this Tezza are you still impressed ?

Maccaa Current FF Westminster 4.4 V8

Post #650529 12th Dec 2022 10:55am
tezza

Been using it for just over a month now, I WFH a lot so it's not seen extended periods of use, maybe a couple of 90 minute trips but plenty of local runs. it's definitely not perfect but I would absolutely do it again.

I'd like to have been able to do a proper review but time is money (and yet I have little of either Neutral ) so here's a quick rundown after using it for a while that some might find helpful. Bear in mind I use only an iphone and the carplay features of the idcore.

Integration

A few people have PM'd me with concerns around the original LR system when idcore is installed. It really isn't an issue, think of them as two independent systems that you can display and interact with via the LR touchscreen.

There are of course physical modifications required in order to integrate with the LR touchscreen which is how this thread started Smile A new PCB must be installed in the unit that houses the touchscreen, an additional microphone is installed along with the idcore unit itself.

The original LR system is always running, fully functional and it's display is completely unmodified, you wont find a menu option in your LR system to switch to carplay for example.

Switching between the two systems is achieved by long pressing the end-call button on the steering wheel, this switches the video input (not sure if that is courtesy of the additional PCB or an inbuilt input switch on the LR system?) to the idcore system, in my case running carplay. All the while, the original LR system is running as it was before, it just has no screen to display on because it's in use by idcore.

Audio is switched separately, to route audio from the idcore to the LR audio system, the AUX input must be selected in the LR system and a 3.5mm audio plug must be plugged into the media input panel in the rear, I have no idea what is inside this, it's clearly not powered by anything so... resistor maybe? Audio will not work without it whatever it is.

Unfortunately this plug is long enough that it does not permit the audio panel flap to close, I find this annoying but live with it, maybe it's possible to modify for those who are handy.

Since audio and video are switched seperately, this means it's possible to...

Listen to another input, say dab, but have carplay displayed and functional but without audio output (theoretically siri voice control still works)
Listen to audio via carplay but have the original LR system displayed

I don't typically use the system like this but the following photo was taken whilst in the LR camera system, carplay audio feeding me waze instructions and streaming from youtube music

Reversing camera also works as expected, if in carplay the system will switch display to the reversing camera when reverse gear is selected and returns to carplay when reverse is deselected. One thing to note though, when selecting reverse gear, the audio volume is not reduced to allow you to hear the parking sensors.

The car also remembers which video input was last displayed, if you switch to the LR system before you leave the car, that's what'll be displayed next time and vice versa.

Setup
Initial setup must be done via cable but it's simple enough, plug in a cable... yes to everything, wait a few minutes, disconnect the cable and you should see the carplay interface on your LR screen.

There's a Landrover app icon on the home screen, clicking this will get you into the idcore system menu, this contains lots of things that I wont go into here but you will likely need to reduce the master system volume here.

If no phone is connected then you'll see this idcore system menu rather than carplay.

There's lots of things that the idcore can possibly do, I simply use it for carplay only but it's worth poking around in the settings. The menu named "smartphone" at bottom left is useful, there's an option in there to reboot the idcore.

Updates

As far as I can tell, the idcore firmware is not publically listed anywhere, instead I had to raise a support ticket with the supplier, providing a photo of current firmware versions long with my order number who later cofirmed that my unit was shipped up to date.

It's a bit of a pain having to go through that to get an update but I guess updates probably don't come all that often and even if they did, most systems wouldn't get updated.

Since there were no updates for my unit, I havent actually flashed it but I am sure it's the straightfoward affair, copy the firmware to the root of a fat32 formatted USB stick, stuff it in the idcore and let it boot.

Touchscreen

The idcore system is fully integrated with the LR touchscreen and for the most part this all works fine. I find swiping through homescreens unreliable, the start of a swipe is often detected as a tap and I find that the surface feels wrong for swiping in a smooth movement, personally I think those two things are related and may not be an issue with idcore itself.

The touchscreen is responsive, I can't say I have noticed any lag and tap accuracy is spot on.

Telephone

I dont typically have long phone conversations when driving but I have spent a bit of time making calls, no issues my end or the other end on those occasions.

I didn't need to make any changes to the LR system, I didnt bother to unpair the LR and iPhone, it all just worked via carplay without changing a thing. Voice control here works perfectly.

Audio

I am not an audiophile but out of the box this thing needs a bit of work. Obviously audio is subjective but without a doubt, the first thing to do is dial down the master volume. Next, I spent a bit of time tweaking the EQ and managed to get a sound I was happy with and leave finer tuning to the LR system if required.

I use only youtube music and this works fine. I have had no issues with playback dropout or track control via the steering wheel remote.

RSE

I only tested this briefly, TV in the rear, carplay up front for nav and music which worked fine.

Wireless Carplay

I have absolutely no issues with wireless carplay if I just unlock the car, jump in and drive off BUT, if I need to spend a while loading the car, more often than not this will cause me a problem.

I haven't had time to investigate in detail but essentially, the phone thinks it's connected to idcore, idcore does not agree. Rebooting the iphone does not solve the issue, rebooting the idcore does not solve the issue. Connecting via the cable works in this scenario and sometimes I can then disconnect the cable and wireless carplay will work, other times I need to remain connected via the cable. This is annoying but not the end of the world for me.

I assume this is somerthing to do with the infotainment beginning to boot when the doors are unlocked but then going to sleep after a period of time wile the wife is still faffing about.

If you don't have a cable with you, then you're probably out of luck until the car is locked and left for a while.

Issues

GPS Not updating - Occasionally, GPS will just stop working. Carplay itself is fine but location is never updated (maps/google maps/waze all exhibit the same behavior). Connecting the iphone to the idcore via a cable is no help in this scenario. This is probably a generic carplay software issue and not an idcore problem as rebooting the iphone resolves the problem.

Google Maps Blank Screen - Suspect caused by the above.

Google Maps Voice Control - Just dont bother, I have no end of issues with this, it is almost as though the maps app starts listening the mic input way too late and cannot understand what you're asking. This has to be a google maps issue as Siri and Waze work flawlessly.

Wireless carplay connectivity as noted.

More Pics

Main home screen whilst navigating

Google Maps

Post #653463 13th Jan 2023 4:46pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

your settings 'should' have an option of right hand or left hand steering wheel..change it to left and the left vertical icon band will go to the right of the screen ..more handy instead of reaching over to the left [unless you got long arms Laughing ] ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #653475 13th Jan 2023 5:44pm
tezza

I am very lanky Stan Laughing but I also prefer that menu on the left.

I forgot to mention that a couple of people also sent me PM's who seemed to be under the impression that this solution would givile screen mirroring functionality. It's probably worth noting that this isn't strictly true and for those who haven't experienced carplay I would hate for them to think they'll be parked up watching Netflix on their LR screen... carplay won't do this (although there are other solutions for that if it's your cup of tea).

Post #653481 13th Jan 2023 6:09pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Laughing

i only mentioned that tip as it also shows the directions panel on the right instead of left.. Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #653486 13th Jan 2023 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1