Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Heater blowing cold (I doubt anyone else has had this fault)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
telly-addict

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Ah nice diagram, that makes it a bit easier to trace. So does the Aux pump impede flow at all when unpowered? Does it have a stepped voltage input that drops to a lower value after 1500 rpm perhaps? Cam

2011 TDV8 Vogue in Stornoway Grey

Post #653830 17th Jan 2023 8:17pm
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I have disconnected the coolant valves wiring ( As they remain open). This gives good heat flow with the Aux pump & Nothing above 1500 rpm. With the aux unplugged, the flow is minimal & low temperature, hence my next move.

Last edited by Highroller on 17th Jan 2023 9:35pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #653832 17th Jan 2023 8:28pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

I've got a 2011 TDV8 but see no reason why this same issue couldn't occur on any other engines also.

I had a similar issue - sometimes the car heating would work fine and others I could set it to 28 degrees and it get no warmer than about 19 degrees. It too was linked with engine revs. In summer months I had the reverse problem - the car could get too hot, but a burst of revs would kick the air con in.

The cause was in fact my air con compressor. Replacing it solved both of these problems. Something to investigate. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #653833 17th Jan 2023 8:29pm
Highroller

That's interesting Gary. What was the issue with the compressor & did your air con work?

Post #653865 18th Jan 2023 8:53am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

The issue was the pressure release/control valve on the air con compressor.

The air con for cooling worked, but would stop sometimes. Raising the revs caused it to kick in again. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #653872 18th Jan 2023 9:35am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Does it instantly go cold when you go above 1500rpm, or does it fade to being cold.

Does the engine temp drop when you sustain speed above 50 ( like when on a motorway ).

The only thing I don't read mentioned is the main engine thermostat which could be stuck open, and at speed the radiator is over cooling, and above 1500rpm the flow pressure somehow changes to route more through the radiator ?

You're changing the water anyway, so may as well when you're in there. V8 or else ...

Post #653873 18th Jan 2023 9:51am
Highroller

Gary, my AC works perfectly, so can’t see the compressor being the cause ( although I may stand corrected).😄

fisha, the temperature drops pretty quick, as though the valves are closing. Once you drop below 1500 rpm, you have instant heat again. IID shows one or two degrees drop at motorway speed. Changed the thermostat twice & the only other one that I’m aware of is in the Oil mixer control valve, which I will change with all the hoses. Is there another one???

Post #653875 18th Jan 2023 10:20am
Gsxr1250dave

England 

How is it going with this 1 ?? I'm about to flush the heater matrix in my new to us D3 v8 the passenger side heat is almost non existent. Iv not read that you have tried this yet

Post #654395 22nd Jan 2023 8:26pm
Highroller

Hi Dave, I've left it alone at the moment, as I have some heat & awaiting a little warmer weather Whistle .

I flushed my heater matrix fully some time ago & had a nice flow from both sides.

Just found a battery drain on the interior fan, so currently rectifinying that. Thought it was the FSR (changed that & still had the drain), So put the old one back in. Removed the sensing fan feed on the ACT to shut the fan off & bingo!.

I now have a new water pump & purchased a complete new hose kit from Island 4x4. I will be also replacing the OMCV at the same time.
If this doesn't cure it, then I'm unsure what will, as I would have replaced the complete system by then Rolling with laughter Cheers Paul.

Post #654407 22nd Jan 2023 9:35pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Well good luck with it they do try our patience

Post #654411 22nd Jan 2023 9:41pm
Highroller

UPDATE - Still the same after loads of work & parts. I thnk that it's defeted me Big Cry

Okay, So I decided to replace the water pump, Hoses, aux belts & AC Compressor & still the same. Mr. Green

Heater works fine - until you increase the revs or drive down the Motorway, then it blows cold. I removed the plenum chamber & blanked it off, just to see if the air was forcing by, but still the same.
Even tried wiring a switch direct to the Auxiliary water pump to see if that would work, but nothing.

I'm thinking that there is a blockage somewhere in the block, thats restricting the flow at the higher pressure (I've had most of it apart & flushed everything).

My last resort is to remove the thermostat & allow full flow. This is currently working fine & warms up quickly, Removing will it will take longer to warm up & will give full pressure to the complete system. (may have to disconnect the control valve wiring), Allowing the valves to be open all the time.

Any thoughts about this?.

Post #657967 27th Feb 2023 11:49am
Gsxr1250dave

England 

You will be fine running no stat it will give full flow around the rad tho so not sure you will achieve what your looking for but nothing to loose. You will get full flow and leave the aux valves unplugged like you say

I did just recently flush my heater matrix with a flush gun both water and compressed air and its solved my issue with hardly any heat passenger side. I know you have flushed it but was it just with a hose or flush gun ?

Click image to enlarge

Post #658017 27th Feb 2023 8:03pm
Highroller

Only flushed with mains pressure, but had good flow. The heat at idle / low revs- speed is very good though.

I'll try without the stat, But I also have reservations. It's just so baffling why it goes cold at speed & then returns hot again as soon at the engine revs drop Banging Head

Post #658025 27th Feb 2023 9:04pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

There’s nothing I can add to this other than to say it’s an incredibly unusual fault.

I remember reading somewhere that on the Supercharged there’s a thermostat in one of the bottom hoses but I’ve not seen it whilst doing all the work on mine.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #658034 27th Feb 2023 11:44pm
Highroller

David, You are correct. It's one of the bottom hoses that feed coolant around the oil coolers (Oil mixer Control valve). I've changed that & bled it.
To be honest there was nothing wrong with this or the water pump when removed Big Cry

Post #658053 28th Feb 2023 8:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>