Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Rear differential locking - motor and actuator - Info needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RogerL322

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
Rear differential locking - motor and actuator - Info needed

Hello everyone. I have traced a cascading failure involving transmission/special progs/HDC/lowered suspension etc to the diff lock motor and actuator on the rear differential.

Not managed to do any checks as yet, like disconnecting the electric connector or removing the motor or actuator. Mainly because I am unable to squeeze my way in under the rear diff easily and don't have immediate access to a firm/concrete work area for jacking/axle stands... doing such things on grass or gravel won't cut it.

I understand that the diff does not have to be dropped - it's tight in there but apparently possible to remove both parts.

Before I begin this though I'd like to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious like a blown fuse. Can't find a specific reference to the differential motors but it may be on one of the other fuses marked as transmission or indeed other things.

No fuse in any diagrams I have managed to find indicate a specific fuse and while it's probably controlled from the transfer box, I can't be certain because none of the workshop manuals seem to cover these diff locks

either... Anyone know which fuse I should be looking at for the rear diff lock actuator? Or indeed have materials telling me how it's all connected? Range Rover Vogue SE L322 3.6TDV8 2008

Post #655175 30th Jan 2023 7:58pm
JCW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Sumatra Black

The Gap iid tool has a self test routine for the electronic locking diff that may be worth trying - not sure if it recalibrates but when I ran it, you can hear the diff locking / unlocking, may be worth a shot (assuming you have an iid tool).

Post #655180 30th Jan 2023 8:29pm
RogerL322

JCW, thanks! Yes I do have GAP IID. I know of the self test you're talking about and have run it but no joy so far. Also, no noises so I think my motor is toast. My irritation is that while many workshop manuals wax lyrical about the diffs, none seem to take into account those with diff lock motors on the L322. A right pain

I was just trying to make sure I didn't;t break my hand getting the motor off, only to find that it was a damned fuse or something Rolling with laughter Range Rover Vogue SE L322 3.6TDV8 2008

Post #655182 30th Jan 2023 8:33pm
JCW

Ah ok - in which case I‘d certainly try unplugging the harness, checking the connector plug for any damp etc and re plugging it, got to be worth a try Thumbs Up

Last edited by JCW on 30th Jan 2023 8:48pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #655183 30th Jan 2023 8:38pm
RogerL322

Definitely. Next on the list. Don't have any hard standing at the moment - long story. A friend close by is getting rid of a Dart project car this week, so I'll be able to put it on proper stands in the dry and go under there. I just like to be as prepared as possible. With these beasts, forearmed is the best way...

It's always the way. I had a 4 item snag list and was pleased, so it decided to throw me this curveball Laughing Range Rover Vogue SE L322 3.6TDV8 2008

Post #655184 30th Jan 2023 8:46pm
JCW

When was the oil last changed? Internal condensation can turn the oil into a brown sludge, so might be worth checking its condition, could play havoc with the clutch plates. Jonathan

2007 Defender 90 XS Hardtop

Post #655185 30th Jan 2023 8:48pm
RogerL322

I have the oil. I have not replaced it as have only had the car for 11 months - was planning on doing the diffs and transfer box in the summer. Transmission done last year according to invoices. So, when it's up there I will replace at the same time as motor.Lucky I have a pump dispenser Thumbs Up Range Rover Vogue SE L322 3.6TDV8 2008

Post #655186 30th Jan 2023 8:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1