Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Buy a used 3.0 TD L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Lancelot15

Spain 

Okay, Weegie. Thanks!

I assume that all the UK cars have the rust problem, not just the RR.

I've bought the "Range Rover: Third Generation L322 (2002-2012) (The Essential Buyer's Guide)", from James Taylor. Anyone has read it? Any other suggested readings regarding the L322?

Post #656719 15th Feb 2023 12:21pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

If you are seriously intent on buying the car despite my well intentioned advice Very Happy personally l would change the gearbox in total and not just the valve block. At the same time l would suggest changing the torque converter as the friction plates will undoubtedly be worn, about £1000 in the uk.
I would be asking for all maintenance records if they are available.
I would be checking everything on the car works or at least have it demonstrated as working, particularly the air suspension system and ac system.
I would try and get hold of the owners manual and read it beforehand.
Given where the car seems to have lived l doubt water ingress will have been a problem but would still thoroughly check the audio system.
As regards yearly maintenance l have never spent anything like €1500. I do maintain my car myself and so don’t incur labour costs which is helpful.
I think you might exceed your €1500 maintenance budget in the first year but after that a lot less will be required.
Are you intending to self maintain?
Once you get everything working correctly l find the costs are minimal with only the required service items needed bought.
At the end of the day it is still an old car but will be very enjoyable to own and drive as l have found with my own.
The big advantage the car the has is the potential for minimal corrosion.
You only live once. Thumbs Up

Post #656728 15th Feb 2023 1:10pm
Dandi

Italy 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Hi Lancelot

I'm a TD6 owner I bought my car as non-runner last year

First of all I work as car electronic technician hence I don't pay labour cost or at least I don't have to pay somebody to do repair

My car came with knackered turbocharger, dead steering angle sensor and some other not so dramatic issues

I paid for it 2200 euros and it had est 298000kms when I bought it

15000kms later I can say I'm quite happy with it but only because I can sort almost every mechanical and electronic problems by my self otherwise I would have spent 3 times the buying cost in repairs

I moved to countryside and I needed a practical 4WD car and finding one so cheap convinced me to buy it

I always loved Range Rovers especially L322s but I also have a Lotus Elise and I know that british cars are always in love of TLC

So bear in mind that if you cannot do at least basic maintenance by your self you need to be very lucky or ready to spend a lot on repairs

A 100k (when new) car maintenance will be always expensive even if now is 4k car

Post #656735 15th Feb 2023 2:41pm
Lancelot15

Spain 

nicedayforit
I'm going to take your advice and not buy the car unless the owner asks less for it. However, that's the cheapest L322 in Spain and casually is near my town, so it feels weird to let that go... as you say, "you only live once!"

I can do superficial stuff in the car, but can't self maintain it for "real". Don't have enough knowledge of electronics nor mechanics. I'm glad to read that you never reached 1.500 €/year. Maybe it's not a bad deal then, again, the cheapest in Spain!

Dandi
I'm glad you're enjoying your RR!

"So bear in mind that if you cannot do at least basic maintenance by your self you need to be very lucky or ready to spend a lot on repairs" --> do you think I can keep it under 1.500 €/year?

What do you mean with TLC?

[/b]

Post #656739 15th Feb 2023 3:09pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

TLC = Tender Loving Care Very Happy John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #656740 15th Feb 2023 3:17pm
Dandi

Italy 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

TLC = tender loving care

In almost one year I replaced:

-one turbocharger
-full service 8l of oil along with all filters
-two steering angle sensors (first one was a repair kit from matrom1 on eBay, that crap lasted less than 10000kms)
-one suspension compressor overhaul
-one driveshaft support bearing
-front brake pads
-fuel return line

And I still have to replace all arms and bushes of front axle, bcm module and probably I need to overhaul gearbox valve body (I forgot to add rear driveshaft seals, check and overhaul fuel injectors, valve cover gasket and heater matrix)

If you need to pay a garage to do all this I think it will cost over 5000€

Last edited by Dandi on 15th Feb 2023 4:49pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #656741 15th Feb 2023 3:18pm
Lancelot15

Spain 

Man, that's some serious money if you have to do it in a garage!

I guess that the most logical thing would be to buy a Dacia Duster 4x4 almost new, but the L322 is so cool, hahaha. Everyone I talked about this car has pointed out the high maintenance cost, and I can't predict how much that is going to be, as it may depend a lot of the TLC that has received on past years (thanks for the clarification). Very difficult to make a choice.

Any other recommended capable SUVs? Anyone has had a Volvo XC90 first gen?

Post #656743 15th Feb 2023 3:38pm
Ennoch

Anything that's proper 4wd has issues. I've been going round in circles as to what to replace my 335d with. I got it thinking I could get away without the SUV bit but the reality is that while it's a small portion of my driving, it is a pretty major bit. And every time I think of the L322 I think it's too big and too unreliable and that there must be an alternative, but the reality is that there really isn't much, especially if you want to do DIY servicing and repairs. While the L322 might not be the most reliable, there's just so much more knowledge from the owners clubs than almost any other car, barring possibly the Impreza and Evos. Everyone's already worked out the most efficient and effective way of repairing and maintaining them. If you look on the forums for all the alternatives and the issues they have they're all as bad, but with less friendly and knowledgeable forums. VW Toureag's have a lot of issues in later ones, the XC90's have flaky drivelines (although perhaps not as bad as the GM5 transmission in the TD6), BMW X5's aren't proper AWD and are massively flaky with a crap AWD system, the Mercs are heavy and not reliable, the Audi Q5 has zero character and terrible electrics, and pickups are almost all awful with terrible rust proofing, no refinement, poor electrics and terrible fuel economy. And so the circle returns to an L322. The likes of the VW Tiguan are better on fuel but still lightweight and don't have the off road ability, as with most lightweight SUV's. Of all of them the Duster is probably the most capable and reliable!

Post #656819 15th Feb 2023 11:47pm
Lancelot15

Spain 

Hi, Ennoch

Thanks a lot for your reply. You make an excellent point with the L322 fan community. The last days I've been asking a lot of people and the L322 enthusiasts always have taken time to explain the pros and cons of this vehicle, so it's reassuring to have this kind of support when something goes wrong.

The Duster... Yes, I "like" it, but because I have to like it hahah. It's a great car for its price. I'll let you know what do I decide and any progress in this search!

Post #656867 16th Feb 2023 5:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12