Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Another review on electric cars - This time it's JLR!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Danb_220_2019

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Fuji White

On some there's an alternator on the drivetrain which charges the 12V battery, on others there's a separate charger specifically for the 12V battery which is powered from the traction battery when required, and on still others there's a 12V charging system built into the main inverter-charger which covers both traction and auxiliary batteries.

Post #653359 12th Jan 2023 12:13pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Pays your money etc…..

Had some minor glitches with charging on the Kia over the last few weeks, it seems to forget it’s timed charging setting, so a couple of times we’ve had to manually start the charge. I love it but I wouldn’t even consider one without a home charger or a liquid field car for longer journeys.

No problem with range for what we need on the EV using our home charger and what we use it for, but couldn’t be bothered using it for a journey where I needed to use someone else’s charger in order to get back home.

I get very annoyed with folks who rent our air BandB and think it’s Ok to plug their car into a 13a and fully charge it, we have quite good energy monitoring with our provider so can tell when someone has chucked a flat EV on charge, tends to result in a curt email and some extra charges. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #653406 12th Jan 2023 9:19pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

RSW wrote:
So on an EV how is the 12v topped up or is it just charged when plugged in like the motor batterys?

They have a DC to DC power supply from the traction battery to charge the 12v battery and supply ancillaries. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #653420 13th Jan 2023 9:59am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Although I read this thread with interest I find it a bit like the debates I see on cycling forums - pointless! I ride an electric mountain bike normally although I do have others, there are some cyclists with what seems to be a pathological hatred of electric mountain bikes and of course there is the ongoing acrimony between car drivers and cyclists in general (both ways), I just get on with what I do, don't try to convince anyone about the rights and wrongs about what I do, Its my money and I can do what I want with it.

I can see (it's pretty obvious) the acrimony between EV drivers and the others each side trying to justify that they have chosen the best path. I know that reading stuff on a forum may prompt a reply or a comment but generally won't change peoples minds.

I'll risk a comment - regarding 12v batteries - they are pretty much the weak link on any car, at least two of my cars have had battery trouble during the recent cold snap. Geoff

Post #653424 13th Jan 2023 10:23am
Paul J.

England 

SamThomas wrote:
Paul J. wrote:
SamThomas wrote:

To get back on topic & to answer cass I don't think the OP's EV could be re-energised as easily as a petrol or diesel which would only require a set of 12v jump leads & a charged battery.

As the OP's car effectively "died" then could someone tell me what the procedure is to initially recover &/or move EV's ?
I understand that they have a 12v system for lights/radio so would this have "died" too ?

Actually, since the problem was almost certainly a dead 12v battery, it could easily have been ‘jump started’. Ask me how I know. Wink

My comment was based on "dead" traction batteries.

Am I correct in assuming EV's need a good 12v (or 24v for commercials) battery to wake them up/get going/keep going ?

Yes. Thumbs Up

With the I-Pace I've heard little or nothing about traction battery problems (other than the 'traction battery fault' error messages that crop up because of a 12V lead acid battery problem). In contrast, there have been many reports of 12V dead batteries, which mirrors my experience of such issues as a past D3/FFRR owner. Laughing Gone D3
Gone FFRR L322
Gone FFRR L405
Now on the JLR electric highway ....

Post #653443 13th Jan 2023 12:53pm
archermav

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Elon has proper slashed his prices today.

Post #653450 13th Jan 2023 1:50pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Interesting road test on 5th Gear Recharged last night.

They were using a Kia EV6 GT to do a 1000 mile road trip across Norway. They said that in an ICE car it can be done in 24hrs with stops for fuel and sleep (timer kept running for fuel but didn't for sleep) and they were going to try and attempt the same time in an EV.

They finished the journey in 1 minute 30 seconds under the 24hrs.

The charging network in Norway is infinitely better then the UK and the EV6 is one seriously quick car when it comes to charging though.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #653456 13th Jan 2023 2:43pm
AJGalaxy2012

Many of the newer EV's have rapid charging like the EV6, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 can charge to 80% in 18 minutes, the 80% is around 140 miles. Not as fast as ICE in terms of refuelling but hammers them in performance, running costs, pollution etc. We just need more cars like this and a lot more charging stations like this. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #653508 13th Jan 2023 7:48pm
archermav

Finally convinced myself that I was buying an I Pace as their prices seem to have become more sensible. Tried to get a quote online for changing vehicle on insurance, nope, had to ring 'em. Already paying what I consider an unreasonable amount for my 4.4 (£700 and I'm knocking on a bit). Bearing in mind RR top one or two stolen cars in UK. Anyway, current insurance refused to cover it, stating they didn't cover those particular cars. If that was I Pace or EVs chap wasn't clear.

Comparison website then, and the cheapest cover was roughly £200 more than my RR. So, that's that.

Not really connected to the original post perhaps, but Censored me, nearly £1000 insurance and I'm 53 with no claims, clean licence, advanced etc. Worlds gone mad.

Post #658659 6th Mar 2023 4:45pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

“I'm knocking on a bit. I'm 53“
😳 John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #658678 6th Mar 2023 6:55pm
AJGalaxy2012

archermav wrote:
Finally convinced myself that I was buying an I Pace as their prices seem to have become more sensible. Tried to get a quote online for changing vehicle on insurance, nope, had to ring 'em. Already paying what I consider an unreasonable amount for my 4.4 (£700 and I'm knocking on a bit). Bearing in mind RR top one or two stolen cars in UK. Anyway, current insurance refused to cover it, stating they didn't cover those particular cars. If that was I Pace or EVs chap wasn't clear.

Comparison website then, and the cheapest cover was roughly £200 more than my RR. So, that's that.

Not really connected to the original post perhaps, but Censored me, nearly £1000 insurance and I'm 53 with no claims, clean licence, advanced etc. Worlds gone mad.

Maybe it's the car...... I pay £158.30 per year with Direct Line, fully comp on my i3. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #658680 6th Mar 2023 7:29pm
archermav

Weegie wrote:
“I'm knocking on a bit. I'm 53“
😳

But my hair is 73. Very Happy

Post #658697 6th Mar 2023 9:48pm
archermav

[quote="AJGalaxy2012"]
Maybe it's the car...... I pay £158.30 per year with Direct Line, fully comp on my i3.[/quot
Possibly mate.

Post #658698 6th Mar 2023 9:49pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

The renewal on folks I-Pace came in the other day. It’s double the cost of the L322 to insure it. Then again, it is worth 4 times what the L322 is these days I guess.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #658701 6th Mar 2023 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234