Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > £600 Road Tax for 2007 L322?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
RRover

2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Causeway Grey

Blimey, thought I'd wandered onto the 'Flat Earth and Other Conspiracies' forum for a moment there. Had to double check.

It's called the world outside mainstream-media... The real one...

The point being - once the general consensus accepts that EVs don't do what it says on their tins, what then?

And do you guys really not know about the 15-minute towns and cities' programmes - as pushed by the WEF regularly?

I guess you think the vehicle tax hikes are something to do with the environment, or the Ukraine?!?

Diesels are still claimed to be the best option (we have them here and now and they work just fine) even over the so-called climate friendly Evs even though EVs are causing more environmental harm and the rare materials will only last so many years before they go bye byes...

I am supporting our much cherished (TDV) diesels - the ones they want to take from us...

Flat-Earth - I don't know! Is it not? Shocked

Post #658326 3rd Mar 2023 11:53am
Danb_220_2019

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Fuji White

Quote:
It's called the world outside mainstream-media... The real one...

Sorry, but the moment I read or hear 'mainstream media' or 'MSM' I cannot help associating that with conspiracy nuts banging on about 'fake news' when they're mostly peddling exactly that.

Quote:
The point being - once the general consensus accepts that EVs don't do what it says on their tins, what then?

I'm not going to get into the EV debate. Some people will never be convinced, but I run an EV and have done since 2015. I'm the first to admit they're far from perfect, and the charging infrastructure and grid infrastructure need a lot of investment to work properly, as do the vehicles themselves for some use cases. I'd much rather be running a Hydrogen powered car, but they're not available in volume.

What all the EV doomsayers forget is we're still in the first 15 years of widely available, consumer-grade electric vehicles. Think about where the fossil-fuelled car industry was in the fist 15 years post Model T Ford. Early adoption was crucial to driving innovation and improvement then, and remains so now.

Quote:
And do you guys really not know about the 15-minute towns and cities' programmes - as pushed by the WEF regularly?

What exactly is *wrong* with the idea? I live rurally at present, but I would be perfectly happy to live somewhere within 15 minutes' walk of major amenities, and to save using my vehicles (EV, ICE, or otherwise) for longer trips between locations where amenities are clustered. For those that want to needlessly drive miles to go to a Post Office, bank, food shop, or whatever, there will still be plenty of rural areas for them to hide in.

Encouraging people to walk/cycle a bit more would do no end of good for people's health, which benefits wellbeing and reduces the cost of whole-life healthcare, so what is there to complain about?

Quote:
I guess you think the vehicle tax hikes are something to do with the environment, or the Ukraine?!?

What on earth makes you bring Ukraine into it? That's just nonsensical.

Vehicle Excise Duty is just a convenient general taxation method which allows the government to collect a broadly known amount of revenue for the country's whole vehicle estate. So EVs are exempt in some cases, with some exceptions for new vehicles? So what? People buying them are paying a premium price over comparable ICE vehicles and hence a premium in VAT at purchase - they're also paying through VAT on kWh of electricity used for the miles they do. Yes, that's at a lower rate than petrol and diesel, but I refer back to the 'premium price' point.

Quote:
Diesels are still claimed to be the best option (we have them here and now and they work just fine) even over the so-called climate friendly Evs even though EVs are causing more environmental harm and the rare materials will only last so many years before they go bye byes...

ICE vehicles may well be (indeed are IMHO) the best option for certain use cases, but for others they clearly are not. I use my EV for short or urban journeys, but one of my ICE vehicles for other uses, such as driving for pleasure, long journeys, or load-carrying/towing. I for one am happy to live in a rural area where air quality is generally excellent - I'd much rather not have to breathe in the blood-brain barrier-crossing particulates and noxious gases that proliferate in our over-polluted cities, and EVs are a good step to take in reducing that for the good of other people. Yes, OK, the anti-EV movement will spout on about the fossil-fuelled electricity generation that allows for that, but they don't put power stations in the middle of cities, they are (these days) tightly pollution-controlled, and there are significant steps in renewable energy that are changing that.

And yes, I would be happy to have wind turbine, nuclear power station, or solar farm 'in my backyard'.

Sure, rare-earth metals are indeed in finite supply, but just in case anyone's still wondering, there's also a finite supply of rotten dinosaurs for ICE vehicles to use.

Quote:
I am supporting our much cherished (TDV) diesels - the ones they want to take from us...

To my first sentence, I feel the same the moment I hear 'they' from the tinfoil-team.

Quote:
Flat-Earth - I don't know! Is it not? Shocked

No comment.

EDITS: for wording, grammar, and to clarify points. 2012 (L322) 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE, Fuji White over Arabica.
Previous V8s: BMW 645Ci, P38 4.6, P38 4.0, Merc CL500
Previous others: Honda x1, Volvo x7, Rover x6, BMW x6, Ford x1, Mercedes x2, Skoda x3, VW x2, Renault x2, Citroen x1, Mazda x3, Nissan x1, Audi x3, Kia x1, Fiat x4, Subaru x3, Austin x2, Triumph x2, Jeep x2, Hyundai x2, Lexus x1, Mitsubishi x1, Saab x2... and some others I've forgotten!

Post #658335 3rd Mar 2023 1:12pm
RRover

So you're fairly fixed in your mind-set then. And the very mention of the word mainstream-media or maybe even MSM or in fact the word 'they' sets your conspiracy tin-foil hat warning beacons to full capacity? The very fact that you support the 15-min towns cities (not a teacher are you?) puts your perspective in a nutshell.
And they're not doomsayers and conspiracy nuts, by the way: they are mostly deeply researched individuals.
Haven't got a WEF or Davos season ticket by any chance, have you?
I do wish you good luck with your pipe dreams and delusions anyways...
Oh - I only run the one car.... we've been trying to do our bit for years now!
I recall a couple of head teachers at one of my tennis clubs way back in early 2000s who poured scorn on me for purchasing a brand new Freelander 1.8 which was gonna kill the planet, in their opinion (probably listening to too much Al Gore rubbish) and only a year later did we find out they both had 4.2 litre Jags they used regularly... Total virtual-signalling hypocrates of course...
Now where did I put my tofu cake?

Post #658361 3rd Mar 2023 6:27pm
Hanwellfields

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

Just entered into L322 ownership. Tax is eye watering but… Every time I drive the RR I have a smile.
Yep tax is circa £50 per month but the RR is worth it. I’m sure our pennies go to fund HS2 etc. Current: L322 2011 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE, MB GLB AMG35, Renault Clio R200 Cup
Previous: Audi RS4 Avant Nogaro, Audit TT Sline, BMW M3 E92, BMW Z4 3.0i SMG, Macan GTS, Boxster S 986, Touareg V6 TDI

Post #658381 3rd Mar 2023 8:54pm
RRover

Yes have to fully agree the L322 always puts a warm fuzzy smile on your face when driving... Very Happy

Post #658428 4th Mar 2023 12:30pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

just finished a flawless, fault-free 1600 mile round trip to the alps. return to Calais took 10 hours, including 1 x fuel stop. got out both ends stress-free and ache-free. guess I'm going to be keeping my 12 yr old 121,000 miler for a wee while longer, regardless of taxes and fuel price rip-offs. Bow down

Post #658438 4th Mar 2023 2:04pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

sounds like a great trip J.....no broken limbs then? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #658443 4th Mar 2023 2:47pm
Dolphinboy

No major injuries thanks Stan. Was boarding (probably for the last time: getting too old and stiff)) and had a few back scratches on the icy black "le Face" in Val Disere but shoulders knees and wrists all intact. Surprised

weather was awesome.

Click image to enlarge

Post #658451 4th Mar 2023 4:27pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

excellent Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #658459 4th Mar 2023 6:13pm
RRover

Looks like Alpine heaven. I miss the Alps. Big Cry

Post #658460 4th Mar 2023 6:30pm
Dolphinboy

meanwhile back on topic: from today's Times.

Zero emission cars first registered on or after April 1, 2017, will pay the lowest first-year rate of £10 then the flat rate of £165 in the second year. In addition, drivers with cars that cost more than £40,000 have to pay an extra annual fee of £355 for five years after the first year. That means that drivers of many electric cars will pay a road tax of £520 a year for years two to six.

I don't feel so bad about my £615 payment now.

Post #658548 5th Mar 2023 5:59pm
Arch Stanton

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

doesnt bother me either, my old BMW 335i was 550 something annually and my Rangey will drop down from 165+355 to 165 next year. That v8 sound and wafting ability is worth every penny. First time FFRR owner

Post #658578 5th Mar 2023 9:19pm
RRover

More bad news on multiple EV front/s: even the salespeople are seeing the end of them now, finally.

Sorry EV luvers... Sheep

Post #660329 25th Mar 2023 3:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123