Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > L405 reliability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Crispian22

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver
L405 reliability

Looking for feedback from current/past owners.

Having sold my last l322 4.2 face-lift supercharged around 3 years ago now,(which was pretty much faultless)replaced with a 5.5 biturbo v8 mercedes Ml63amg,I'm getting very itchy with regards to getting back into a range rover,don't get me wrong, the ML has been a fantastic piece of kit for the last 3 years, never putting a foot wrong, being the amg performance model also(very rare),585 hp and nearly 600ftlb torque has kept me very happy.

However.....

It's still not a range rover.

Been perusing the net for the last 6 months now on the hunt for a possible replacement, budget £35k,possibly £40k for the right car.

My heart tells me the 5.0ltr petrol,it will be used as a second car/dog transporter/weekend luxury /holiday car,probably around 7-8k per year.

Would that sort of mileage ruin my experience of the 4.4 v8 diesel?

Many thanks.

Post #666336 10th Jun 2023 9:44pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Would that sort of mileage ruin my experience of the 4.4 v8 diesel?

No

Post #666339 10th Jun 2023 10:35pm
Crispian22

More concerned with the short journeys it will mainly be used for throwing up problems with a diesel engine.

How many of you owners have had problems with dpf's and egr valves when used for just pottering about with the tdv8?

And by the same token the 5.0 ltr petrol?

Many thanks.

Post #666367 11th Jun 2023 3:29pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Ah - short journeys is different to your original post...... annual mileage is irrelevant.

Modern diesels generally don't like short, slow trips. So you need occasional longer faster ones. I don't know the exact ratio but I've only ever had the DPF light come one once & a decent thrash cleared it.

Petrol is clearly better for in town use, but the car is also likely to cost more in the first place....

Post #666370 11th Jun 2023 3:54pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Shortish trips at 8k mileage is similar to me. Each day, I’ll do about 4x 4 mile trips and a commute of around 20 miles each. ( plus occasional longer journeys etc ), and mine seems to moan for an oil change after about 5 months at this rate. Yes, this is a lot shorter than the typical 12 month change of other cars, but at least the car is calculating oil dilution and tells you. If you change it when it asks, then it goes back to being fine. Listening to the engine before and after the oil change, there is a difference in the sound of it post change, so it must have been needing it, so I do trust the cluster when its asking for the service.

It’s only ever said DPF full once, and a drive to get it warmed up, then a hard acceleration up to 60mph put it into regen mode cleared it without fuss.

Admittedly I change it myself, so save a lot doing it that way. In my previous 4.2 supercharged, I change the oil every 6 months anyway as well … so it’s not that much of a difference there either.

My personal thoughts are that if you change oil as needed, the next important thing is that a reasonable amount of your journeys get the engine upto full temp for a short while, as this prevents/ gets rid of condensation and also helps the oil.

But … i feel the 4.4 tdv8 is a lazy engine which is fantastic at cruising and feels hassled if you boot the arse out of it. To me its like:

Me: press pedal and ask accelerate please
RR: Sigh… OK … I’m coming … 1400rpm ok for you?

Me: Well, it’s a start, and we are going forward serenely thanks, but can I get a bit more? >press pedal more.
RR: Yeah yeah yeah, how about 2000rpm? My normal turbo is now working .. happy?

Me: I suppose so, but I’d really like to really get going though. > press pedal more
RR: Are you sure?

Me: Yes > press pedal more
RR: hold my beer …

at which point it spools up the big turbo, sits on its backend and launches away at ludicrous speed leaving you thinking I’m going to get a ticket.

Great engine, and I love it.

Whereas the 5.0 will be a more immediate response and eagerness ( at the cost of economy ) V8 or else ...

Post #666373 11th Jun 2023 5:00pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Had my SDV8 since Sept 2018 and in that time I’ve covered 36k miles. I don’t use the car daily and it can go weeks without use. Most journeys are long (2 hrs plus) and at motorway/fast A road speeds.

Car has been faultless; serviced annually and the indicator comes on 1 month before service is due each year. No issues with oil dilution or excessive consumption. I also only use Shell VPower diesel, but that’s a personal choice.

Post #666378 11th Jun 2023 6:29pm
Crispian22

I'm not adverse to getting my fingers dirty re oil changes,I presume from the responses that these cars tell you when they want an oil change then as opposed to a yearly or mileage based change?

Post #666379 11th Jun 2023 6:41pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Yes , the miles to service due will drop. I think most of us on here will do an oil and filter change in between the yearly service. overfinch modified

Post #666393 11th Jun 2023 10:34pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Crispian22 wrote:
I'm not adverse to getting my fingers dirty re oil changes,I presume from the responses that these cars tell you when they want an oil change then as opposed to a yearly or mileage based change?

Only on the Adblue cars... The Adblue can dilute the engine oil if DPF fails to regen a number of times? Pre 16MY don't suffer this phenomenon sir... Thumbs Up

Post #666395 12th Jun 2023 12:04am
V8 Bob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Ipanema Sand

Am I right in thinking it is the “Adblue” models that are Euro 6 specification? 2012 tdv8 Westminster arrived Jan 19 gone Dec 23

200 TDi discovery bobtail gone
RR classic v8 bobtail gone
300 tdi Discovery 3 dr gone

Post #666404 12th Jun 2023 8:46am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

@V8 Bob:

Yes, that’s correct. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #666406 12th Jun 2023 9:22am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Yes sir it is… Thumbs Up

Post #666409 12th Jun 2023 9:38am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Our 4.4 AdBlue L405 has been spot on Thumbs Up but we have suffered with the oil dilution, it’s been no big deal though we have it serviced by LR each year and then do a mini at home service 6 months later.

We’ve had it coming up to 4 years, and it’s been a joy! In fact I have replaced it, but can’t bring myself to part with it so it’s kinda just been sat on the drive except for a Airport run Embarassed Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #666453 12th Jun 2023 7:38pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

My last 4.4 V8 Diesel covered 77,000 miles absolutely faultlessly - no issues with Adblue / oil dilution at all. Service indicator came on religiously at 12 months with the annual mileage ranging between 9k and 15k miles. No early oil changes were needed.

She was that good she was replaced with another. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #666479 12th Jun 2023 11:17pm
Monty+4

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Loire Blue

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Crispian22 wrote:

Only on the Adblue cars... The Adblue can dilute the engine oil if DPF fails to regen a number of times? Pre 16MY don't suffer this phenomenon sir... Thumbs Up

I would be very interested to know how add blue can dilute the oil as it is injected directly into the exhaust system? I have had an L493 and now have an L405 both with add blue.

\dilution of the engine oil occurs in all diesel Landrover cars which have a dpf with or without add blue, it is extra fuel (diesel) which is injected into the engine to increase the exhaust temperature during regeneration which may result in oil dilution due to incomplete regeneration cycles. Nothing to do with adblue.

Post #680541 17th Dec 2023 4:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>