Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Magna Steyr DD295 Transfer Box Teardown
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Bodsy

United Kingdom 

Thanks Phil.

And looking at that, they are facing against each other rather than fitting inside each other.
I've not been able to find anything like the detail you have in that pic, do you have a PDF of that part of the manual? Or available somewhere? I'll have another look in Topix, but it wasn't that clear before when I checked. Thumbs Up

Post #427529 13th Feb 2017 12:39am
Bodsy

United Kingdom 

OK, clarified the washers, they need to go against each other as seen here.

Post #427558 13th Feb 2017 12:36pm
Bodsy

United Kingdom 

Transfer box all back together again, ready for fitting on Wednesday. Thanks for the info on here, it's been really useful. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #427652 13th Feb 2017 11:00pm
B100

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
dimension query for front oil seal tool

Hi Phil
Sorry, but I can't read the dimensions on the drawing for tool 308-598. Can you please let me know how deep the front oil seal should be into the casing ?
Thanks

Post #504645 9th Feb 2019 8:29pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I’m not sure which drawing you are referring to? Unfortunately, I don’t have a DD295 in my workshop at the moment to be able to measure the seal depth. Maybe someone else can help? The 308-598 tool has a machined face which abuts up against the casing when the seal is installed to the correct depth, so I guess you are asking the question to avoid having to source the special tool?

Click image to enlarge

The input shaft will probably have a witness mark on it where the old seal was running which might provide an indication of the seal’s installed depth?

Click image to enlarge

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Phil

Post #504730 10th Feb 2019 7:11pm
B100

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Many thanks Phil. Whilst searching around for a measurement of the oil seal depth, I came across a rough sketch of the LR tool but it was so pixellated that the measurements were not clear enough. I'm sure it was in one of your threads on the DD295. I made the great mistake of not remembering where the seal was when I took it out and I pushed the new seal in just 2mm too far. The result was the oil seeped out - which I only discovered on the test drive. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I could see the two limiting points beyond which the seal could not go, otherwise it would leak. So I placed it halfway between the two - which was at a depth of 22mm. I turned a piece of aluminium bar to ensure that the seal went in square.

The really great thing about doing this job twice is that you get better at it the second time around.

Post #504732 10th Feb 2019 8:06pm
telly-addict

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I've got a problem with my Transfer box (my thread here), no worrying noises or range selection issues. It's just the centre diff seems 'stuck on' so turning or parking sees the tyres scrubbing big time. I found these codes in the TCCM:

P2789-00 Clutch adaptive learning at its limit
P186D-00 Clutch actuator is stuck

Any thoughts? Is this likely a mechanical issue, or am right in thinking this is an electrical/software problem?

*EDIT* I have SDD I think it's called on a diagnostics laptop, so will be looking at this today when I get the chance.

Post #509980 27th Mar 2019 10:06am
telly-addict

Still trying to get SDD to work Rolling Eyes

The more I read into this, the more I'm inclined to think the shift solenoid is sticking. Is it possible to check it with SDD? (once I get it working)

Post #510307 30th Mar 2019 11:05am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

So, is the shift motor definitely functioning okay and turning the splined motor shaft? i.e. are you able to select low range and then get back into high again? The shift motor controls the range change with the solenoid off. With the solenoid on, the shift motor controls the clutch actuation.

Click image to enlarge

If the shift motor/shaft is okay then I agree that you should determine next if the solenoid is being energised once the range change is complete, as this is its default condition i.e. clutch control mode.

Click image to enlarge

Note though that the solenoid only activates the mode, it’s the shift motor that applies and releases the clutch by turning the motor shaft, which causes the levers controlling engagement of the clutch pack to ride up and down the ramp forcing them apart and back together again.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Post #510340 30th Mar 2019 5:55pm
telly-addict

Hi Phil and thanks for the reply.

Yes the range selection seems to work fine - high and low both working with no issues.

Your explanation about the solenoid seems to marry up with my symptoms, if we assume the solenoid is not being powered in my car. Hopefully get a chance tomorrow to climb under her and check the electrical connection to the solenoid. I managed to get SDD working after a fashion. It said it was connected to the car, but wasn't able to communication with any of the modules. Will play with it some more in the morning.

Thumbs Up

Post #510356 30th Mar 2019 9:16pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

The solenoid is pretty accessible and bolted directly to the outside of the casing.

It should be evident if the wiring is bad, and swapping the solenoid should be pretty straight forwards if it is bad. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #510561 1st Apr 2019 8:45pm
telly-addict

I've noticed this morning that when the car was cold, all seemed to work as it should. It was only after she warmed up a bit that the tyres started scrubbing again.. Question

I've been working on customers' cars all day so didn't get a chance to check it out. Intend to tomorrow Rolling Eyes ...

Post #510562 1st Apr 2019 8:53pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I’m still not sure, though, how the solenoid – even if faulty – could cause the clutch to lock in the ‘on’ position.

The mechanism for disengaging the clutch, as the shift motor rotates the cam/ramp via the shifting sleeve, appears to rely solely on the clutch return springs (shown in the bottom LH corner of the photo below)

Click image to enlarge

forcing the plates apart and the axial displacement working through the ball and ramp mechanism
Click image to enlarge

to close the levers back together again so that their bearings maintain contact with the cam/ramp turned by the motor shaft.
Click image to enlarge

If, say, the plastic drive gear in the shift motor had failed then the motor may not be turning the shaft but, if that were the case, it wouldn’t operate low range either, which it does.
Click image to enlarge

I can’t help thinking there’s a mechanical issue here with the clutch actuation mechanism (levers/ball & ramp/clutch return springs). Possibly even that the clutch pack has overheated to the extent that it’s welded its plates together. Let’s hope, though, that I’m being unduly pessimistic, and it turns out to be an easy fix.

Phil

Post #510590 1st Apr 2019 11:18pm
telly-addict

'Clutching' at straws here, but perhaps a fluid change on the transfer box..?

Post #510601 2nd Apr 2019 8:48am
telly-addict

So it's been a few days. I managed to get under and checked the connections to the transfer box. They all seemed okay and reseating them didn't seem to do anything.

What I have noticed though, is that the lockups are becoming less noticeable, in that it's happening less. It's almost as though the centre diff/clutch is 'loosening off'. Perhaps the car has been sat a while?

Anyway, it appears to be clearing itself. I've got transfer box oil coming from Rimmer Bros that should arrive in the next day or so and when I've finished working on the couple of customers' cars I've got in atm, I'll change the oil. Hopefully that'll see it right...

Talking of which, I'm planning to flushing the transmission fluid and spotted this thread on a BMW forum detailing diy 'mega-flushing'. Anyone here done this?

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself...sh-143820/

Post #511217 7th Apr 2019 1:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>