Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.4 Thermostats - could it be this easy for a lower temp ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Ok, time to resurrect an old thread and give it some feedback ....

The stat has been fitted for a wee while now... Zero issues. The car has not thrown any errors with the electric part disconnected.

Some observations about it:

It definitely runs cooler. Where is was reading 112 deg earlier, the same reading gave 102. The funny thing is that my diagnostic kit can give different engine temp readings from different sections ... The gearbox section tells me 102 deg and the engine section tells me 95deg and the same time. Either way its lower.

It doesn't smell as hot ... Even after towing etc where in the past I would think the engine smelled hot, it now smells less hot and a more normal smell.

It's significantly reduced the coolant loss. Waay more than I expected. I find I'm driving far longer between needing a top u, and even when I do check it, the dipstick hasn't dropped much.

It possibly takes a little longer to warm up but that could just be e colder weather now.

It almost feels smoother when driven. Hard to describe, but it's like it's more relaxed and you can go deeper with the throttle and it handles it fine.

Overall, I'd definitely do it again, right from the outset if I had another 4.4 engine.

That's all a bit academic now, I've sold the rr. V8 or else ...

Post #149043 31st Oct 2012 10:34am
jaybear

France 

I am going to be yelled at here , but FYG i have been running my engine with the insides of the stat removed for the last 2 years now . without a glimpse of an issue . And the car had to go to LR for a brake disk issue , and they did diagnose the beast and clear all faults , and did not even notice the stat had gone ....
the only thing i must concede , is that i am leaving in an area where cold temperatures are seldom ...

jaybear Jaybear

2002 V8 , premier edition , 19" alloys ,

Post #149051 31st Oct 2012 11:51am
Mrmerlin

2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

I did the M60 mod to my truck,
took a new WP and had it machined , a plate made and then the thermostat installed,
I did find that the thermostat would fully contact the lower sealing area, on the WP.
so I JB welded a fat washer onto the lower seal of the thermostat,
along with adding 2 screws then JB welding the washer to the flange .

My truck runs great radiator temps are 180 to 190 the oil filter housing is 185 the expansion tank 185 the transmission is 185.

The only things I have noticed is that the temp controllers need to be turned up about 8 degrees higher to get the same heat from the HVAC system,
the gauge is a few hairs to the left of center indicating a slightly lower operating temperature.

Have been looking into this mod for the 2003 to 2005 FFRR for the USA crowd,
We cant seem to find the part available anyplace over here

Post #187638 10th May 2013 4:54pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

The major reason to run an engine "hot" is efficiency. The combustion process is more efficient the higher the temperature. So in the drive for more fuel efficiency the car/engine manufacturers are "hotting up" the engines.

Whether it is good/better/worse for the engine, I don't know. I would argue that the hotter each part gets, the more it wears/ages. So for those who "cooled" their engine, I think you will be fine.

Not sure whether it helps in really cold places though. I remember in the old days (like my little Triumph Herald) you would have to put a cover over the radiator to get the engine and interior to warm up to a decent temperature when it was sub zero. Too cold is definitely not good for an engine either. The question, where is the sweet spot Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #187647 10th May 2013 5:21pm
Mrmerlin

I would have to say that lowering the operating temperature of the BMW M62 engine will prolong the usefulness all of the parts .

Funny how many owners experienced the expansion tanks blowing up or the cooling hoses failing, or worse the alternators failing and the transmissions expiring almost with regularity.

If the main goal was to increase the MPG I dont see it,
and I am not a fan of running things hotter to go farther.

IMHO running hotter means your going to have more issues with everything

Post #187659 10th May 2013 7:41pm
Saint.v8

Location: UK< Surrey - Near the Middle Close to Some Green Bits

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

It is not just increasing MPG, it was done to reduce emissions too! 

Post #187666 10th May 2013 8:16pm
Mrmerlin

Roger that

Post #187669 10th May 2013 8:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123