Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.4 Thermostats - could it be this easy for a lower temp ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba
4.4 Thermostats - could it be this easy for a lower temp ?

( I know there are other threads about cooling at the moment, but I think this merits a different thread )

OK , lots of recent talk about lowering the temp of the 105°C opening on the 4.4 V8 engine. A very kind chap off here sent me up a used thermostat which I was going to use as a template to get a spacer made so I could fit a different, lower temp stat in its place. ( Search google for "M62 thermostat mod" to get the idea ).

Anyways, whilst the wife was watching horse and country TV garbage ... Rolling Eyes ... I was measuring up the stat and looked at the BEHR markings on it and wondered if I could find the catalogue to get true dimensions. I could ... I found a catalogue which listed all BEHRs part numbers ... and it calls it a 2.547 type stat.

Towards the end of catalogue, it even puts pictures up ... here is 2.547 :

Looks right, even has the electric connector pictured for the bit that forces the stat open under heavy load.

But then I looked at the next picture, type 2.548 :

Same shape, no electric connector.
The trawled the catalogue for 2.548 type stats. They list as diesel stats:

BEHR Part Number

BMW Part Numbers:
11 53 2 248 542
11 53 1 715 254

A quick search of the first part number brings up:

http://www.teilehaber.de/thermostat.-kuehlmittel-id15347081.html

Angebot-ID: 15347081
Artikel-Nr.:8620 24388
OE-Nr.: 11 53 1 715 254, 11 53 2 248 542, 2.548.88 (nur zu Vergleichszwecken)
Hersteller: TRISCAN
Thermostat, Kühlmittel
Öffnungstemperatur: 88 °C

And further searches of the various part numbers all seem to point to it being the same housing with an 88°C opening.

So could it be that easy to simply try and find one of those part numbers and bolt it on to get a lower temp? A quick search online seems to point to it being in the 140 euro range price wise ...

any thoughts? worth a punt? can anyone find it cheaper? V8 or else ...

Post #139113 2nd Sep 2012 9:56pm
fisha

Here are some alternative part numbers:
Analogous \ Similar Parts of BEHR THERMOT-TRONIK 2.548.88

( Manufacturer )
( Number )

BGA
CT5003

BMW
11 53 2 248 542

BMW
11 53 1 715 254

FIRST LINE
FTS473.88

MOTORAD
603-88
Thermostat, coolant

TRISCAN
8620 24388

VEMO
V20-99-0161

Added so I dont lose the link: found VEMO at the top of the page here:

http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/thermostat/bmw/7-saloon-e38

Seriously thinking of just ordering one and trying it. Its gonna cost me £50 to get a spacer machined and £30 for a stat ... plus the time and effort. V8 or else ...

Post #139115 2nd Sep 2012 10:12pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Hi mate,
Sorry I ment to pm you when I got back of holiday. Do you still need the template of water pump? I've got a friend who works for Unipart, when he's back in work next week will give him the part numbers and see what he can find. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #139123 2nd Sep 2012 10:33pm
fisha

Rob, no worries. Its OK at the moment.

I'm going to sleep on the idea, but I imagine tomorrow I'm going to bite the bullet and just order one of those thermostats. The more I look at the picture of it compared to the stat i have on the desk in front of me, the more I'm convinced its an exact same housing but with just a different wax insert to open at the lower temp and where the electrical thing goes in, its just blanked off.

I also think that you should be then able to just get an alternate wax insert for a lower temp as they just pop in and out ( but thats another story for another day. ) V8 or else ...

Post #139125 2nd Sep 2012 10:43pm
fisha

Well, its ordered ... lets see what arrives in the post eh?

Whistle V8 or else ...

Post #139229 3rd Sep 2012 3:23pm
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Just out of interest, what are you intending to achieve by this?

Won't it just lead to the engine management system assuming that e engine has not warmed up properly and therefore running sub-optimal settings for fuelling etc, or worse, a fault being generated as the thermostat will appear to be open circuit and the engine going into limp home mode?

Post #139237 3rd Sep 2012 4:25pm
fisha

In short, I tow a horse box, and run large tyres in the winter. The high nominal temp of a standard stat does not give me much overhead before cooking the engine. dropping the stat temp gives me more temp space fir when I really work the engine.

I've also had the autobox go into overheat protection mode a couple of times. Lowering the coolant temp increases the cooling if the transmission as well.

I don't think the ecu will bother. 88 deg c is still a fully warm engine and other conversions like this report no errors V8 or else ...

Post #139248 3rd Sep 2012 5:27pm
ric355

You won't fix a gearbox overheat by reducing the engine coolant temperature, because the gearbox is not cooled by the engine coolant.

If the engine coolant is getting hot, then having the stat open earlier won't fix that assuming the stat is opening at the moment. Are you sure you don't just have a stuck stat? It'll delay the onset of high temperatures but if the existing system can't cool things down then neither will the new system, because once the stat is open the new and old systems are the same.

Messing with the design of the system like that, particularly removing the ECU's ability to control the position of the stat, sounds a bit iffy to me. Are you sure you don't just have a fault?

Post #139254 3rd Sep 2012 5:53pm
Saint.v8

Location: UK< Surrey - Near the Middle Close to Some Green Bits

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

ric355 wrote:
You won't fix a gearbox overheat by reducing the engine coolant temperature, because the gearbox is not cooled by the engine coolant.

If the engine coolant is getting hot, then having the stat open earlier won't fix that assuming the stat is opening at the moment. Are you sure you don't just have a stuck stat? It'll delay the onset of high temperatures but if the existing system can't cool things down then neither will the new system, because once the stat is open the new and old systems are the same.

Messing with the design of the system like that, particularly removing the ECU's ability to control the position of the stat, sounds a bit iffy to me. Are you sure you don't just have a fault?

If that is the case then why is there a Gearbox Cooler plumbed into the Coolant system??

Take a gander under the boonet on the Drivers side (RHD) near the bottom, small ali heat exchanger with a plastic manifold plumbed to the coolant system! 

Post #139261 3rd Sep 2012 6:30pm
Simes

I do wonder if there is an underlying fault somewhere. I tow a two horse trailer and a twin axle caravan (not at the same time) that's nearly two tons all up. Never had a problem with overheating of either the engine or gearbox. That include towing all over the Welsh mountains in the summer.

I'd be checking the state of the rad and the current stat before moving away from spec on these engines.

If the rest of your cooling system is in good order, the engine will run below its design temperatures with the stat that opens earlier.

Good luck with what you're doing, but I think you're trying to solve the wrong problem.

Post #139263 3rd Sep 2012 6:36pm
fisha

I dont get a dash error thrown, its that the gearbox goes into its thermal protection mode by holding lower gears to increase flow of fluid through the cooler and other parts. It does this as a means to protect itself before hitting a full overheat and errors thrown.

The RAVE manual says that the electronic stat controls the engine running between 80degC and 103decC ... but normally has it sitting high for better emissions. Lowering the stat temp to 88degC is still well within the engines normal operating range ... i.e. not out of spec so to speak.

Its a well discussed topic on BMW forums. V8 or else ...

Post #139278 3rd Sep 2012 7:12pm
Simes

Be interesting to see if it solves your problem. I'd just be a bit concerned if it was me, as the car is designed to tow heavy trailers across the Sahara without overheating! I've never had my gearbox go into any cooling mode - seems to just do the job it's supposed to without complaining.

Post #139279 3rd Sep 2012 7:25pm
ric355

Saint.v8 wrote:

If that is the case then why is there a Gearbox Cooler plumbed into the Coolant system??

Take a gander under the boonet on the Drivers side (RHD) near the bottom, small ali heat exchanger with a plastic manifold plumbed to the coolant system!

My mistake - I was aware there was a cooler, but thought it was separate i.e. exchanged the gearbox fluid with air like the radiator does.

Post #139301 3rd Sep 2012 10:32pm
jim2RRs

United States 2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Chawton White

fisha wrote:
its that the gearbox goes into its thermal protection mode by holding lower gears to increase flow of fluid through the cooler and other parts. It does this as a means to protect itself before hitting a full overheat and errors thrown.

I disagree, based on my interpretation of RAVE. Which, of course, could be entirely incorrect.
RAVE wrote:
Cooling Strategy
The purpose of the cooling strategy is to reduce engine and transmission temperatures during high load conditions, when towing a trailer for example. Under these conditions the engine and transmission may generate excessive heat.
When in any gear other than 5th or when in 5th gear at a speed of 38 mph (61 km/h), if the transmission fluid temperature increases to 124C (255F) or higher, the EAT ECU employs the cooling strategy.
The strategy uses a specific shift and torque converter lock-up clutch map. This map allows torque converter clutch lock-up and gear shifts to operate outside of their normal operation. This will reduce the engine speed and/or slip in the torque converter, therefore reducing heat generated by the engine and the transmission.
The cooling strategy is cancelled when the transmission fluid temperature decreases to 120C (248F) or below.

Holding a lower gear (raising the shift point) is used several times, Sport Mode, Hill Mode, and Engine Warm-up Mode.
RAVE's description under Engine Warm-up Mode says:
Quote:
The EAT ECU monitors the output from the transmission fluid temperature sensor in the transmission and also receives an ECT sensor signal from the ECM on the CAN. When the transmission fluid and/or the engine coolant temperature is less than 60C (140F), the EAT ECU initiates the shift maps used in sport mode, when driving after a cold start.
The sport mode shift points raise the engine speed. This, in turn, promotes faster transmission fluid warm-up
and also decreases the warm-up time for the catalytic converter to reach optimum temperature.

My interpretation of this is that delaying the upshifts generates more heat in the fluid.
The cooling strategy reduces engine speed by upshifting sooner, and engaging the TC lock-up; both of these actions reduce the heat in the fluid.
It may be holding a lower gear based on what the ECU is interpreting as Hill Mode.
Quote:
Hill Mode
Hill mode is initiated by the EAT ECU when high engine torque, high throttle angle and low engine speed is detected via ECM signals on the CAN. The EAT ECU defines this combination of signals to determine when the vehicle is travelling on a steep gradient.
In response to these signals, the EAT ECU modifies the transmission shift pattern to raise the shift points to prevent repetitive up and down shifts. This mode can also be initiated when the vehicle is at very high altitudes.

Towing a trailer, in many instances, would mimic the parameters that would activate Hill Mode; high engine torque, high throttle angle & low engine speed.
------
I think it's delaying the upshifts based on the ECU's perception of Hill Mode, not to cool the fluid.
Locking up the TC, along with reducing engine speed (and therefore transmission speed) will reduce the amount of heat put into the fluid, which is the best the system can do in an attempt to reduce the fluid temperature.

With all that said, you have 2 ways to keep your fluid temperature close to it's happy number:
1. Don't put too much heat into the fluid
2. Extract the excess heat from the fluid as quickly as possible if you fail at #1

Towing a trailer, unless you can manage to always drive downhill, is going to put additional heat into the fluid; that's really all there is to that. So, #1 is a fail.
Extracting the excess heat, above the target, is your only option.
One of those Laws of Thermodynamics says something about the rate of heat transfer being faster if the differential temperature is larger.

So, all other things being equal, let's assume you & I are towing identical trailers on the same roads.
My thermostat is 105C, yours is the lower 88C variety.
Your thermostat will be fully open at a lower temp than mine. This means your engine will be running cooler than mine, and that your coolant temperature will be lower.
Therefore, you should be able to extract heat from your transmission faster than me, since the temperature differential between your engine coolant and trans fluid is larger. This means your trans fluid temperature will also be lower than mine.
Here's 1 of the flies in the ointment:
The engine ECU will "power open" the thermostat by turning on the thermostat heater "when the engine is under full load and/or high output conditions".
So, we're heading up a hill, towing our trailers, and here's where things get weird.
The transmission ECU detects Hill Mode, delaying upshifts. This runs the engine faster. The engine ECU detects "high output condition", powers open the thermostat. Now my thermostat is wide open, just like yours.
The coolant is dumping heat in both, actually faster in mine, since my coolant temp was higher than yours, so the differential between atmosphere & me is higher than atmosphere & you. Coolant temp goes down, taking trans fluid temp with it.

In "normal" towing on flat ground, your trans fluid temp would be lower than mine, but once we start to work it hard, mine will probably come down to match yours pretty quickly.

What does all this mean?
Beats me. I could be completely wrong on all this.

The only thing we know for sure is that the standard thermostat is fully open at 105C. The existence of the heater to power it open implies that it is less than fully open, or perhaps even closed below 105C.

Since it's your truck and not mine, I say put the 88C 'stat in it & see what happens.
I don't think it likely to cause an engine failure.
But if it does, please note that I said "don't think it likely" and "I could be completely wrong", and generally absolve myself of any and all responsibility for your actions. Jim
2000 NAS HSE
2005 NAS HSE

Post #139304 3rd Sep 2012 11:16pm
jim2RRs

United States 2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Chawton White

Ric355:
The P38 RR had an air-cooled trans oil cooler, mounted just below the engine oil cooler, in front of the radiator.
Another of Fisha's thoughts on keeping his trans fluid cool was to either add 1 of these in-line, or swap out the water-cooled version for the air-cooled version.

I'm doing nothing to my truck, but I'm enjoying reading RAVE to tell Fisha how crazy he is.
Or isn't.
I'm really not sure if he's crazy like a fox or just crazy.
Whistle Jim
2000 NAS HSE
2005 NAS HSE

Post #139305 3rd Sep 2012 11:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>