Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Retrofiting a Bluetooth ULF Module
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Budgie

Scotland 

Thanks Andy.
So the wire positions are more important than the their colours then?

I've gone ahead and got a 5th gen ULF this evening, I'm not really that bothered about the voice recognition as I only really want it for answering calls, I can make calls when I stop. Wink

I'll leave the wiring as it is for now and try the new ULF first to see if that works, if it doesn't then that points to my re-wiring. 

Post #187130 7th May 2013 9:55pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Do you have the "eject box" with the pairing button in the front of the car ?

I suspect not, in which case it doesn't matter what colour the wire in 32 is, as all you need to do is short it to 36 in the boot to simulate the pairing button, which would have been in the front on the centre console.

The original white wire from pin 2 goes to nothing under the centre console between the front seats. Its not used if you don't have the eject box in the front.

I took an unused pin, with a few inches of wire on it, from the old connector in the car (cut it off) and put that in pin 32 on the new connector. Then short to 36 to pair, if that makes sense. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #187246 8th May 2013 5:53pm
Budgie

Scotland 

Yep, that makes sense, I don't have the ejector seat in the front Laughing and tried the pairing as you describe.
So the wiring is correct in that case so it must be a fried ULF box then. My bad. Rolling Eyes

The Mic arrived & fitted today and the 5th Gen ULF will be in the post tomorrow, so should be here by the weekend. Thumbs Up 

Post #187256 8th May 2013 7:08pm
mjdronfield

Remember thay pin 36 needs to be still connected to the ULF when you short pin 32 to it, as it is the earth for the ULF.

I cut the pin 36 wire and then rejoined it with a "choccy block". This allowed the connection to still be there when I touched pin 32 to one end of the choccy block, to simulate the pairing switch.

In time, I may replace it with a switch, but it only needs to be done once for each mobile phone.

Also remember to write down the ULF passcode for pairing, as sometimes you can't see the label of the ULF when its finally mounted in the car............

Good luck. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #187268 8th May 2013 8:18pm
Budgie

Scotland 

I attached a sort piece of wire to a scotchlock around the pin 36 wire. I then partly removed pin 32 and managed to get a stripped piece of wire onto the pin and pushed it back into place. I now have a double choccy block with pin 36 in one side and pin 32 in the other.
All I have to do for pairing is remove one of the wires from the choccy block and push it into the other side. Wink

I thought I had a switch hanging around that would have done the trick but I couldn't find it the other day. It'll turn up one day and get fitted. Very Happy 

Post #187277 8th May 2013 8:40pm
Budgie

Scotland 

We're up & running!!! Mr. Green

The 5th Gen ULF unit arrived today so I set about fitting it.
Got it all installed and tried the pairing but, again, nothing happened, although this time there were no lights on the screen unit at all. All I could get was "Activate Telephone" on the dash when I pressed the R/T button.

So I went looking again in the forum and found someone had previously had the same issue, only they was solved by touching pin 32 into pin 38, which is what I was doing. But I went back out (in the rain Rolling Eyes ) and removed the wire from pin 32 completely and installed another wire with nothing in the end, just the connector into the ULF plug.
This still did nothing when I tried to activate the pairing so I checked that wire into pin 38 did actually go to earth, it didn't, no idea where it goes but it ain't to earth.
So I tried touching the wire from pin 32 onto the ULF body, which is earthed, & "Bluetooth Pairing" came on the dash!! Thumbs Up

I got my Blackberry Torch 9860 and my wife's Galaxy SII paired. The calls are crystal clear and the contacts come up on the dash.

Success at last, and thanks to Mark, Andy and the others who helped me out on this one. Thumbs Up

Right then, on to the next project. 

Post #188310 14th May 2013 7:31pm
mjdronfield

Excellent news.

Pin 36 is the main earth feed for the ULF, it won't power on without it, so you must have the earth on there.

Who knows why it didn't work for the pairing, but as long as you've got it working.........

Remember it will only connect to one phone at a time, so if you get in the car it'll pair with yours, but then it'll pair with your wifes if she gets in the car a few seconds after you...........

at least I believe thats how it works.

Remember also that the r/t button swaps between radio and telephon, so you can use the steering wheel buttons to go through your phone book on the dash.

Well done.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #188331 14th May 2013 8:41pm
Budgie

Scotland 

Worth knowing about it only connecting to one phone, my last BT kit connected paired with both phones when they were in the car.

I found the phone book of feature and it scrolls fine.
I did nearly phone one of the numbers from the previous owner of ULF when I was "trying it out". Embarassed Lucky I realised what was happening an terminated the call before it got through.

The only part I've not tried yet is the SMS side.
Shame there's not email, Twitter & Face Book on there yet!! Laughing 

Post #188352 14th May 2013 10:48pm
kiter

Scotland 

This is probably me doing something wrong but I've spent ages this pm trying to get the newly installed bluetooth to work, I've re pinned the new connector as per the chart and doubel checked it, installed the ariel, mic etc but I cannot for the life of me get it to go into pair mode. I have a chocy block on the wire going to pin 36 and a wire from pin 32 that I'm shorting over to the chocy block. I did find on one occasion that it blew fuse 22. Really hoing havent screwed the ULF. Any advice greatfully received. Thanks

Post #192723 8th Jun 2013 5:05pm
Budgie

Scotland 

What's on the screen when you turn the key to position 1?
Does the "Telephone" label show and is it white?
Do any of the three lights on the top right of the screen light?

I couldn't get mine to pair by touching pin 32 to pin 36 either, I touched pin 32 to the ULF body (which is earthed) and that activated the pairing, using the ignition off - connect pin 32 to earth - turn the key to position 1 and leave the wire connected for 2-3 seconds then disconnect. 

Post #192726 8th Jun 2013 5:21pm
kiter

Scotland 

It says activate phone and if I use the R/T button I get the same message in the dash
I get one red light (middle one) on
Telephone option on screen menu is white as well

Really is doing my head in as I cant figure what I've done wrong. I'm just here on my tod so having to nip back and forth between driver seat and boot to short it out. Would that make any difference?

Post #192729 8th Jun 2013 5:29pm
Budgie

Scotland 

Na, I had to do the same.
I got the wire touching the body of the ULF module and then turned the key to position 1, quickly walked to the rear and pulled the wire clear and that worked. 

Post #192733 8th Jun 2013 5:40pm
kiter

Scotland 

Very Happy thanks mate that worked!!!!I maybe wasnt giving it long enough - seemed to take ages to complete the pairing, phone said it was connected but screen in car suggested it wasnt but turned ignition off and back on again and hey presto up and running. Thanks again, hope your getting the good weather in Lewis, cant beat the west coast in this weather. FF and caravan going to Tiree for 2 weeks next month so hoping for more of the same............

Post #192743 8th Jun 2013 6:04pm
Budgie

Scotland 

Good job. Thumbs Up

Yep, we've got the Sun up here as well.
I did hope to have a nice relaxing day today as I'm working tomorrow but ended up welding plates onto the back plate of the drivers side handbrake. One of the the spring fixings pulled out when I was in Stornoway this morning. Nasty noises all the way home!! Rolling Eyes

Still, Chinese has just arrived, so it's not all bad. Mr. Green 

Post #192747 8th Jun 2013 6:15pm
kiter

Scotland 

enjoy........... I need to stop spending money on the car now - so far its had towbar and twin electrics, super charger rear lights, Mk4 dvd navigation, seat covers, roof rails and bars and now bluetooth. Would like to do the Digi TV upgrade but need to save some pennies for that.............

S

Post #192755 8th Jun 2013 6:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>