Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > How much bad luck with coolers can you have
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green
How much bad luck with coolers can you have

Today our mechanics told me some more bad news related to the SC. After the transmission oil to water cooler has been replaced, there was still oil getting into the coolant. Initially we thought it was just crap still in the system (although it was flushed extensively) but now it seems that next to the transmission cooler there is another similar cooler that does the same oil to water cooling for the engine oil.

So now I have ordered a new cooler for that as well. The thing is called the EOC (Engine Oil Cooler) and helps warming up the engine oil for emission reduction. I wonder if this is caused by the water that our mechanics put into the cooling system before (combined with a crappy design and age). Confused

Funnily enough the engine oil only goes out and there is no trace of coolant in the engine oil (yet ?)

Getting mighty teed off about this. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #196785 29th Jun 2013 10:58am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Do you remember the last time you actually drove this car?

Post #196805 29th Jun 2013 12:35pm
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

For the amount you're spending on coolers and other bits don't you think a L405 is an option? Wink

Really though it's a shame it's happening again. If you go to lrparts.ru you can see the entire system on the parts catalog. I've used it quite a bit to track down things I need to clean for performance gains. 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #196810 29th Jun 2013 12:45pm
ebajema

@ Kurt, no not really but this afternoon I will to just test whether the gearbox issue has changed to another gear.

@ ASP, this morning I have been looking at other cars just to have something to drive Sad I have downloaded the full Workshop Manual, thanks to Joe90 and it is great for finding the parts indeed. I already emailed the dealer in Rotterdam with the drawing of the parts. Unfortunately air freight has slowed down again on this side Sad So worst case that is another month before the car can move again. And with my luck I bet that after that the gearbox finally disintegrates Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

On a positive note, I have replaced so many parts that there is not much left that can go wrong. And of course those things will be going wrong as soon as these issues are fixed Sad Big Cry MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #196816 29th Jun 2013 1:31pm
KurtVerbose

Sorry to read about all your bad luck, but I thought the 4.2 supercharged and zf gearbox were pretty bullet proof?

Post #196831 29th Jun 2013 3:20pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I think it was driven after mine bust so we seem to be on the same par for longevity and patience Very Happy

Thats got to be gutting Eugene Sad

If it were me and your location, I'd be tempted to get a separate cooler instead for it as you don't really need to worry about warming up to reduce emissions, more keeping it cool! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #196838 29th Jun 2013 3:58pm
ebajema

Hi Will, I think we are running pretty much in parallel with cars being out of service. Was looking at some old Lexus LX470 this week for a colleague but since he hasn't bought it, I almost did. Anyway, I just want this sorted.

The story with this particular FFRR is :

Transmission cooler (in series with the EOC) ruptured, detailed in a separate post. This cooler is a weak point in the earlier models ZF 6 speeds (also the Fords/VWs/Audis etc. that use that box).

The gearbox issue is a funny one, only the 3-4 upshift (separate post again) is acting up. I recently changed the location of the control coils and was hoping to do a test drive.

The car was actually in for the rear wheel bearings to be replaced (they made a bit of noise) and then we found the suspension bushings to be bad, so 3 weeks waiting for the damned things (from Rotterdam, air freight took forever this time round). Then today it was ready and they found out that the EOC was leaking and likely to have been as long as the transcooler. Problem is the leak is now soo big that I can not even test drive for the gearbox. So now trying to get a new cooler here and testdrive for the gearbox, hoping that the problem has moved to another gear (which would mean I just have to replace the coils and not the whole mechatronic).

I do believe that when the boys did some work on my car a few years ago, they put water iso of coolant in and considering the transcooler issue is corrosion linked, that means that they probably aggravated the whole problem at that time !! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #196872 29th Jun 2013 7:49pm
ebajema

Click image to enlarge

Waiting for a new Engine Oil Cooler Big Cry MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #196995 30th Jun 2013 3:12pm
KurtVerbose

You are the new cooler king.

Post #197015 30th Jun 2013 6:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1